Joomla - CMS
Posted by: edocphp (208.250.63.---)
Date: May 15, 2008 01:33AM

Does any one have any positive or negative information on this CMS. Use it . Dont bother. Any feedback is appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Joomla - CMS
Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras1.blp.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: May 15, 2008 01:41AM

i think dont use it... unless ur setting up a very quick site...

the end result is not as good as your site could be if you build it yourself. you learn nothing by using it, and all joomla sites end up looking the same!!

php nuke , post nuke and geeklog are not too bad ,,, but still i think your site ends up less indivual. looking at someone elses code is a nightmare , and it makes changing things very difficult. i reccomend staying away from these.

put you time into making a good page , frame or watever that you can use as a template over and over for your site,

apart from all that, they do what they are designed to do very well,. but they are maily designed as a login based forum or blog... most sites need more then jsut this.

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: May 15, 2008 02:37AM

Joomla is 1 of famous cms out there and easy to setup if you don't want to spend to much time to build your website. About the look and function, you can install add-on themes and mods. Not sure how to start, check this guide for the idea

[guides.jlbn.net]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: Varienne (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: May 15, 2008 11:06AM

Joomla from my very brief review of it has a lot of potential, but I need to get deeper into core functionality, as well as all of the available 'free' modules.

For what I am doing now and plan on pursuing I found Drupal a better choice as far as a CMS type app. I'm looking to offer it to clients as an alternative collaborative environment for producing single sourcing of content, with full colaboration and versioning during content creation.

I do plan on revisiting Joomla, among others. I have about an even dozen setup as base projects in WampServer. Having to balance my review and research of CMSs and current releases of PHP, MySQL, Apache, etc. Only so much time in a day!

Posted by: toivo (---.belrs3.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: May 15, 2008 01:08PM

Hi,

I have not looked at Drupal, but I am managing a number of Joomla based sites and found it to be flexible and the community support is also cool. As you may have noticed, there are hundreds of extensions written for Joomla, most of them free and some of them commercial.

Regards,

toivo
Sydney, Australia

Posted by: Varienne (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: May 15, 2008 06:52PM

Hi,

Yes, I seen that the extensions were some where around 2300 or so, hence my wanting to get back to at some point.

Not meaning to highjack the original poster's thread, but this input may prove to be useful feedback as well, and I'm in a writing kind of mood.

My current goal and project is to redevelop a portal and CMS for a local technical writing community that I have been a part of for 3 years, Charlotte Regional STC. It is part social experiment and part CMS functionality & research testing as it applies to technical writing in general, and IT technical writing specifically, to eventually provide this to clients as an end-to-end comprehensive service in support of processes. All processes; Business, IT, Engineering, QA, etc.

Over the past decade I have been involved in developing IT documentation and documentation frameworks, some using the Rational Rose suite of tools and the Rational Unified Process (RUP). Others I developed form scratch based on various System Development Life Cycles (SDLC), using a modified RUP, custom Eclipse Process Framework (EPF), modified Microsoft Operations Framework (MOF) and in many more cases just simple custom Microsoft SharePoint sites, as it is what enterprise level companies are using here in the USA.

My goal is to now move to open source solutions for my own business, my fellow technical writers and also clients. I'd also like to move away from predominately pursuing contracts with larger enterprise level, big budget companies to small and mid level businesses. Working with start-ups and grass-root level companies was where I got my start two decades ago, and I miss it. I believe the open source community has expanded and matured enough for me to really get involved in this. I tried Zope and Plone a few years back but it was as others have described it, taking a sledge hammer to a tack; total over kill. I wouldn't even dream of trying to teach it to clients, most have difficulty getting their heads around SharePoint, lol! I need to come up with something that has an 'Easy' button attached to it, lol.

And recently there has been much discussion by STC (Society for Technical Communication) around DITA (Darwin Information Typing Architecture) and the possibility of a DITA-Wiki hybrid. Of all the CMS type web applications I reviewed, Drupal holds the most potential for me to quickly pursue something like this, as well as my IT documentation framework development. I think Joomla may also, but I did not see a taxonomy module of functionality for Joomla, something that I feel will need to be part of a DITA-Wiki hybrid. The localization, internationalization and translation capabilities also hold a lot of value to me and technical writers in general, and again I see that Drupal has the initial set of modules for this too.

Cheers,

Varienne
Charlotte, North Carolina
USA

Posted by: edocphp (208.250.63.---)
Date: May 20, 2008 07:30PM

Thank you all for your responce. All will be considered.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.