Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
WAMP does nothing
Posted by: greenalien (---.cable.ubr06.harb.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: April 24, 2008 08:22PM

I installed WampServer 2.0b (latest version from this site) and when I visit localhost I get "Failed to connect."

Can anyone tell me how to get Wampserver working?

Here are some details.

- I'm running XP SP2 full patched.
- There was no previous installation of WAMP, Apache, Mysql, PHP etc.
- There are no software firewalls or virus checkers etc installed. I even disabled the Windows firewall (I'm behind a hardware firewall so no bother).
- I installed using all the default options to default C:\wamp folder.
- I started wamp via the start menu. Visiting local host does nothing.
- I selected "Start All Services" from the tray icon. Visiting local host does nothing.
- I tried replacing index.php with index.htm in the www folder to rule out PHP issue. Same issue.
- The icon shown in the tray has a yellow dial with a lock symbol in lower middle.

Was it too much to ask for this to just work? I thought that's the whole point of wamp.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WAMP does nothing
Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras1.blp.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: April 24, 2008 08:25PM

yellow means one serivice failed to start.. left click wamp icon goto apache > service and see if the start/resume is possible to click

also do the same for mysql/serice... which ever one is clickable is the one thats not running

let me know

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Date: April 24, 2008 08:48PM

"yellow means one serivice failed to start.. left click wamp icon goto apache > service and see if the start/resume is possible to click "

Yes the option is enabled. Clicking it does nothing though. The localhost page still doesnt load, the tray icon remains the same (yellow with lock) and going back to that menu option it's still available to click again.

Date: April 24, 2008 08:51PM

which one is aviable to click?

the one under apache > service

or mysql > service

only one is aviable

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Date: April 24, 2008 09:04PM

"which one is aviable to click? "

You mentioned apache and that's what I quoted, so I was referring to Apache. The "Start/Resume Service" menu option is always enabled, even after clicking it.

I didn't look at the other services because a basic html page isnt loading in Apache. But looking at that now mysql appears to be okay. It has "Stop Service" and "Restart Service" menu options enabled.

Thanks for the prompt reply though.

Date: April 24, 2008 09:08PM

ok so apache is not running.

do u have skype installed?

or give me a list of a few things that are running?

and send me ur apache error log in c:wamp/logs

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Date: April 24, 2008 09:24PM

No, I dont have skype installed.

The only two apps running are Hamachi and Jungle disk.

I shut down Hamachi but no luck.

I shut down Jungle Disk and I'm now able to start the Apache service.

So appears to be a conflict with Jungle DIsk. This is a small app which backs up my files to an Amazon S3 server every day. I don't want to disable this if I can help it because I dont want to risk forgetting to make manual backups.

No idea why these two apps would affect each other but if you have any suggestions let me know.

For what its worth I'm running an older WAMP setup on my laptop (Apache, Mysql and PHP installed individually/manually) and never had any conflicts with Jungle Disk on that system.

Still want the logs?

Date: April 24, 2008 09:27PM

no i dont need the logs. never heard of the program,, i wonder can u change the port it runs on?

if not u can change apaches port

but its not ideal either

open c:wamp/bin/apache/apache2.2/conf open httpd.conf

find the line

Listen 80

and change it to

Listen 8080

then restart wamp

now ul need to use localhost:8080/filename.php to open files in browser

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2008 09:33PM by stevenmartin99.

Date: April 24, 2008 10:16PM

I'm not prepared to force the use of port 8080. That would be too heavy handed a work around for me.

I just tried starting Jungle Disk after the Apache service was started and both worked fine alongside each other. Though if I try to "Restart" the Apache service it goes back offline again.

Just seems to be a quirk with the way WAMP Server initially starts the services by the looks of it.

Interesting that you single out Skype as an example to check though. Because I plan to install Skype too. But again I have skype installed on another system and have never had any conflicts with the WAMP setup I installed manually on there.

Looks like I'm going to have to resort to installing the apps individually again. Shame because your tray app looks handy too.

Date: April 24, 2008 10:21PM

I checked the port that Jungle Disk is running on and it's 2667. So ports are not the issue.

As I mentioned, the Apache server works along side Jungle Disk if I start Apache first. It just doesnt like it if I try to start Apache while Jungle Disk is already running.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2008 10:23PM by greenalien.

Date: April 24, 2008 10:22PM

the probelm is not wamp

wamp uses port 80

skpye is ok.. in the options of skype u cant stop it using port 80. so dont worry about it

but ur other program just so happenns to use it aswell.

ur idea of starting one and then the other is not good,,

wamp checks to see if port 80 is being used first, if it is it doesnt start

but ur program doesnt check.. it just uses it..

two programs on one port could cause errrors..

maybe ur program can change ports?

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Date: April 24, 2008 10:29PM

Jungle DIsk shows 2667 for the port it uses in settings.

But on the assumption it uses port 80 in addition I'll poke around in the Jungle Disk forums etc and see if I can find a workaround. If I do I'll post a follow up.

Date: April 24, 2008 10:30PM

So appears to be a conflict with Jungle DIsk. This is a small app which backs up my files to an Amazon S3 server every day. I

port 80 has to be used to do this.. port 80 is that standard for most servers and browsers...

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Date: April 24, 2008 10:37PM

I dont have a fix yet (will poke around some more) but this doesnt appear to be a problem with Apache or Jungle Disk as such. It's because Webdav uses port 80. And in XP this can't be shifted off port 80 like it can in Vista.

But alas I just had my first reason for "upgrading" to Vista! *faints*

Is it possible for setup WAMPServer so it doesnt check if port 80 is already being used? I dont see why both can't run happily side-by-side. I've been running Apache and Jungle Disk (and therefore Webdav) on my laptop for ages without any sideffects.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2008 10:39PM by greenalien.

Date: April 24, 2008 10:39PM

haha dont do it! it terrible to use just like office 2007!!

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: April 24, 2008 11:49PM

He he... he he... ;-)
a little off topic, but what wrong w/ Office 2007??? I've been using it even before official release (beta version) and switch it to full version after get my free copy, along w/ free copy of Vista, and I don't get it when some people don't like it :-(

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: April 24, 2008 11:51PM

im soooooooooo used to 1997 and 2000 and 2007 is just so different. i cant find any of the things on the menus!!! its so annoying. i need to use older versions on win nt in work so dont get much time to use 2007 but wen i do its too annoying

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: April 25, 2008 12:04AM

Annoying? The first day or 2, yes, after that I've get used to, of course, mostly on often functions, not all. Might be because I like to test new softs; for example, I've just received my free copy of server 2008 and studio 2008 and I plan to pop in a new hard drive SATA2 750GB I've just bought for $50 and install them this weekend ;-) and of course, I will try wamp2 on it too ;-)

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: April 25, 2008 12:08AM

i use xp embedded or xp home server 2000 winnt sp8 vista premium .. id love to know how server 2008 runs... let me know

is it only 64bit?

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Date: April 25, 2008 12:14AM

Funnily enough I only recently (last couple of days) started using Office 2007. First impressions was, wowahhh, very ummmm, blue! (typcal tacky Microsoft affair). And where the heck has the menu commands gone! I'm lost!

But after poking around I quite like it. It's nice to see some guys over at Microsoft have the balls to radically change the UI anyway. And I've been reading positive things about the Ribbon in magazines for the last year or two so I guess they must of done something right. You can definately see the work that went into making it anyway (sans tacky blue scheme).

Going to have my own tangent too. Why the heck does Webdav need to open port 80 on my computer when I'm not even trying to run a Webdav server. I know this is expected behaviour and I havent seen anyone else complain about this so I'll put my hand up and make an idiot of myself... Why the heck is Webdav trying to act as a server on my computer? Why isnt is just acting like a client, like a web browser does. If the answer is, it's providing a service to other software on my own computer, then fair enough, but just seems a dumb roundabout way of going about things.

Back on topic. I didnt find a workaround for the issue in this thread. Other than disabling the Web Folders in Jungle Disk, closing it down while launching Apache, switching to Vista (I still feel ill over that thought), switching Apache to 8080 etc. All I dont partically like. So I'm going to install Apache etc individually instead.

As a quick test, I disabled the Apache service on my other computer (which also has Jungle Disk installed) and then restarted the Apache service without problems. Worked fine. Also I tried disabling/enabling the Apache service installed under WampServer but that failed like before. I'm hoping the port check is made by WampServer and not the latest Apache itself or I might go insain.

One more sidenote. I read somewhere that Webdav is getting an update in XP SP3. Which is to be released in the next few days I think. But I didnt see any mention of being able to specifiy a custom port in the KB for the webdav update. Can but hope.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.