having problems in sending an email using PHP
Posted by: misslane74 (---.gw.smartbro.net)
Date: April 06, 2008 05:09PM

im having problems sending email thru php, what im doing is actually sending details from a form straight to an email of the person, my question is i dont have an mail server setup on my system is it still possible to send emails? hope somebody could help me with these.....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: having problems in sending an email using PHP
Posted by: devdavad (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2008 07:46PM

it is possible to send emails without a mail server installed. In PHP.ini you can edit the lines

[mail function]
; For Win32 only.
SMTP = smtp.comcast.net
smtp_port = 587

; For Win32 only.
;sendmail_from = youremail@comcast.net

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: April 06, 2008 09:36PM

@ misslane74
Wampserver does not come w/ mail server so you should seek help from other sources or sign up from some free mail server out there and implement your script w/ info they provide to you

@devdavad
You might use your isp's mail server to send out some certain number of emails if they allow you to do so; if not, they will terminate your service or worst, penalize you for spam

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: April 07, 2008 02:01PM

devdavad,

hi thanks for the reply, my question is what do i have to type on the smtp part? is it the smtp from my ISP? and do i have to put a data on the send_mail from? because what will happen is my script will send to the email of the recipient whatever data the user entered on the form of that page.

Date: April 07, 2008 02:27PM

Sorry, I didn't make it clear. Wamp does not come w/ mail server, so no mail discussion here, please

BTW, no matter how good a programmer you are, when you don't know much about setting up mail, you're easy become a source for spammers to take advantage; even some people on this forums might be able to give you some instructions to get your mail working, they can NOT help you all the way to protect yourself; therefore, you should seek help from other sources that are more about coding so they can help you out or sign up from some free mail server out there and implement your script w/ info they provide to you

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: April 07, 2008 05:10PM

so, i guess there is nothing wrong with my script whats my problem has something to do with the mail server i have specified in the php.ini since it came from my ISP and i have this error message -

Warning: mail() [function.mail]: SMTP server response: 451 4.1.8 Sender address verification in progress in C:\wamp\www\process_mail.php on line 15

what do you think is the cause of this?

Date: April 07, 2008 05:30PM

I don't want to be rude or mean or anything, but I don't want to keep repeating the same thing over and over :-(

If you think your ISP allow you to use their mail server, you might contact them for help w/ your script. If not succeeded, you should join some forums that discuss more about coding so they can give you a hand to solve your issue

BTW, it seems you got that error because you might need authentication to bypass your isp's mail server; however, this is just a guess, you might contact them to verify; remember, they would immediately terminate your service if they do not allow people to use their mail server :-( You're warned!!!

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.