jlbn dot net - Setting up virtual hosts guide
Posted by: southbeach (---.not.configured)
Date: March 13, 2008 07:20PM

Just gave this guide a shot and apache services won't start - What gives?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: jlbn dot net - Setting up virtual hosts guide
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: March 14, 2008 03:14AM

Here are most common problems people got when following my VH guide:

1. In file httpd.conf, after uncomment to enable httpd-vhosts.conf, you might have blank space in front of that line
2. In file httpd-vhosts.conf, there are 2 dummy vh there by default; make sure to delete them and replace w/ appropriate vh codes
3. Some people don't delete those dummy vh, but just edit them and might have double quote where they should not be. Check example on my vh guide (step 4) to correct it
4. If using logs for each directory in each vh, make sure to create the logs folder for that directory, and most people forget to create the logs folder inside folder www. Check step 1 and 2 on my vh guide to correct it

If your problem is not 1 of these common problem, post the last 10 lines of your apache log here

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: southbeach (---.not.configured)
Date: March 14, 2008 01:56PM

yfastud,

You are the man! I was following your instructions so to the letter that I neglected to change C: for G: which is where I installed WAMP 8-(

Apache is running just fine ... Oh, one thing I did and I am not sure if it matters, I actually created blank log files (error.log and access.log). Perhaps, Apache will create them if not there but while troubleshooting and way before I noticed my "actual" problem, I went ahead and created those files.

Thanks!

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: March 14, 2008 03:56PM

You are the man! I was following your instructions so to the letter that I neglected to change C: for G: which is where I installed WAMP 8-(
In my guides, I always use default so people don't get confuse; however, no matter which partition you install wamp, w/ my vh codes you can store your websites on other partition as long as you have all associated folders in place, especially the folder logs

Oh, one thing I did and I am not sure if it matters, I actually created blank log files (error.log and access.log).
You don't have to. As soon as you or someone access the website of a particular vh, apache will create associated log for that action; for example, access log for access, error log for error, so on, and from there you can expand to use those logs file to implement weblog to monitor each and all websites' transactions in order to figure out what you would do more to improve performances or visitors, so on ;-)

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2008 04:04PM by yfastud.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.