newbie - domain information
Posted by: tkachukl@shaw.ca (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: March 11, 2008 06:59PM

Hi - I'm very new to all this so bear with me. I've installed the Wamp and everything seems to be working fine. I'm working on Vista and using dreamweaver. In order for my php pages to view properly I need to view them through 'localhost'. I'm making sites for customers so how do I get the finished product up under their domain name?

Sorry if this sounds ridiculous - like I said - very new...

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: newbie - domain information
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: March 11, 2008 07:24PM

You should use relative paths for all pages so no matter where they are, they still work the same

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: March 11, 2008 09:19PM

I'm sorry. What does that mean? For example, if my site is www.mysite.com, where is the 'localhost' part of it?

thanks

Date: March 12, 2008 01:08AM

Oh wow!!! You're really really "green", huh?

For example, you want to create a website that has 3 web pages and the first page has the links to the other 2 pages, so what would you do? Of course, you don't name them www.mysite.com.html or localhost.html, but you would name them as follows: index.html, page2.html, and page3.html, and inside first file index.html, you have the links for the other pages as follows:

Relative paths:
<a href="page2.html">Page 2</a>
<a href="page3.html">Page 3</a>

Absolute paths:
<a href="[www.mysite.com] 2</a>
<a href="[www.mysite.com] 3</a>

<a href="[localhost] 2</a>
<a href="[localhost] 3</a>

As mentioned, you should use relative paths instead absolute paths

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: March 12, 2008 03:15AM

Hi again,

Yes, I'm very green but what' you've mentioned above I think I have a handle on. Here's what's happening...When I upload the site I'm working on and link to the php page I first get a 405 error, and then if I refresh the page I get the script (I think) but without the proper info. If you want, have a look at the site and let me know if you see something I've missed.

It's at

[members.shaw.ca]

Thanks for any help...

Lisa

Date: March 12, 2008 05:50AM

Hey Lisa,
I guess your include info is not properly. Correct me if I'm wrong, you try to use SSI which you have to setup w/i wamp to enable it

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: March 12, 2008 03:50PM

Not sure what SSI is. I will work on this. Thanks a lot for all your input.

Lisa

Date: March 12, 2008 04:22PM

Content for id "content" Goes Here
Content for id "footer" Goes Here
Content for id "wrapper" Goes Here
I see this in 1 of your pages, so I ask you if you try to use Server Side Include (SSI)? It's not easy to help you if you can't state clearly your problem :-(

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: March 12, 2008 06:19PM

Hi again,

Those are just my div tags from CSS. I don't know what Server Side Include means and so it's hard to say what my problem is since I don't know. I appreciate you trying to help. We might be at a standstill. I'll continue to work on it here. Thanks again.

Date: March 12, 2008 06:27PM

If they're just css tags, so far I don't see any problem on your pages since I check the codes and they mostly relative paths already; thus, you can put those pages on any host and they should run the same

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: March 12, 2008 06:42PM

That's good news. Thanks for looking at it. I appreciate your help.

Lisa

Posted by: southbeach (98.211.199.---)
Date: March 13, 2008 03:46AM

If I may jump in, I figure Lisa is using Dreamweaver's templates. As far as I can see there is nothing wrong with the pages ... they are rendering what they are told to.

CSS have nothing to do with the text shown but rather with how it is shown. If you suspect that the PHP scripts are not running, you MUST then:
1) Make sure PHP is running on server
2) All extension used in code are loaded/active
3) Make sure you do not have permission issues

You are writing code using MS Vista, what are you using at the hosting end? How are you uploading the code over the host?

It is important to login using a reliable FTP or SFTP client and make sure that, if hosting in a UNIX/LINUX server, you maintain ownership and file permissions.

Do not want to confuse you even further but you might as well be aware that there is more to it than DW GUI.

I am new to this group and I am not sure if posting PHP code is part of the norm but, if you are having problems with your PHP script, posting samples of it may help determine the problem thus offering you a solution.

QUESTION: Does site work fine in your local computer?

As mentioned, it is a good practice to use relative path. To add to previous explanation:

RELATIVE: Position in "relation" to existing page/directory

ABSOLUTE: Define entire directory tree (in this case the entire URL)

Just remember that you may start using directories and subdirectories. As you move up/down the tree, you might want to refer to content two directories back or forward.

BACK: ../../filename.php

FORWARD: docs/private/filename.php

SAME DIRECTORY: filename.php

One final note, it always helps to clearly define your objective, your problem as you understand it, and provide sample of your code ... Feel free to post any additional question and include code if at all possible!

Regards,

Southbeach

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.