Pages: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Wamp2 HTTPS and SSL Setup Step-by-Step guide
Posted by: The Wise One (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 08, 2008 12:32AM

good idea. didnt think to use <virtualhost>. much thanks for all the help. i really appreciate it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: April 08, 2008 01:17AM

Not sure if you've already knew this: .htaccess and main config file act almost the same, but the difference is .htaccess only affect on the folder and subfolder(s) it's in while main config will affect the whole web server, and that's the reason why a lot of people use .htaccess so they can have different settings for different folders ;-)

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: hambuler (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: April 08, 2008 08:02PM

The Wise One Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> is there a way to do this in the apache conf file
> versus an htaccess file? i prefer not to use
> htaccess if at all possible.
>
> basically, and i dont know if this is possible or
> not, but i want to leave some parts of the local
> server on http, and only apply https to a single
> directory and its children.

My suggestion is to use this rewrite below and put them inside the localhost directive <directory "C:/wamp/www/"> ..... </directory> in httpd.conf file.

RewriteEngine On

# Enable HTTPS only if the directory matches 'your_HTTPS_directory' and its subdirectories
RewriteCond %{HTTPS} on
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/your_HTTPS_directory_name.*
RewriteRule .* - [F,L]

# redirect HTTP to HTTPS only if the request URL matches 'your_HTTPS_directory' and its
# subdirectories
RewriteCond %{HTTPS} off
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/your_HTTPS_directory.*
RewriteRule (.*) "[]%{HTTP_HOST}%{REQUEST_URI} [L]"

NOTE: remove the quotation marks " at the last line.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2008 08:06PM by hambuler.

Posted by: fdo (124.43.38.---)
Date: April 12, 2008 01:32PM

Thank you for the tutorial. worked perfectly from the start.
my poblem is when i am accesing [localhost] its send me a warning message. its natural no. but when i am import certificate to my browser still i am geting da same error. can anybody help to solve my poblem.

Posted by: wmorse1 (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 12, 2008 02:33PM

As an FYI, I applied a commercial certificate through godaddy.com to my home wamp server. I used most of this tutorial to get me through the understanding of the process, but godaddy provided some additional instruction. Again, thanks to everyone involved. Worked perfectly. The certificate was only like $29.99 and now I don't get any warning messages when accessing my site. The only time I get a warning message is when I don't use my domain name that was set as part of the certificate, like when I'm accessing the localhost.

Web Design: One other thing I learned. If you use flash in your site and the object calls to macromedia, or adobe using http, change that to https. Or you'll get a message like, "this site contains both secure and unsecure information..blah, blah, blah".

Example code:

<object classid="clsidgrinning smiley27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="[download.macromedia.com]; width="32" height="32">
<param name="movie" value="flashfiles/play.swf" />
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<embed src="flashfiles/play.swf" quality="high" pluginspage="[www.macromedia.com]; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="32" height="32"></embed>
</object>

The SSL protected site can't bring in information from other sites non https, including images, without getting that messages.

Great stuff, first message board I've ever used, and the first time one actually helped me! As a result, I feel obligated to share anything I find.

Posted by: fdo (124.43.38.---)
Date: April 12, 2008 07:36PM

But in the above method also am i need to install the certificate in every browser?

Posted by: segaraga (203.121.10.---)
Date: May 13, 2008 11:27AM

i'm using apache 2.2.6 and -shal option seems not valid to mine...

3820:error:2206C064angry smiley509 V3 routines:s2i_ASN1_INTEGER:bn dec2bn error:.\crypto\x509v3\v3_utl.c:185:

C:\wamp\bin\apache\apache2.2.6\bin>openssl req -new -x509 -nodes -shal -days 365
-key server.key -out server.crt -config c:\wamp\bin\apache\apache2.2.6\conf\ope
nssl.conf

Posted by: xgarb (---.lutn.cable.ntl.com)
Date: June 05, 2008 07:26PM

Just joined to say thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread, especially hambuler as without it I don't think I'd ever have got this working!

Thanks everyone!

xgarb

Posted by: lorryes (---.178.144.61.broad.sz.gd.dynamic.163data.com.cn)
Date: June 10, 2008 08:00AM

To hambuler:
Hi! I need your help on SSL.
Wamp2:but i use diffrent version apache and php.
Server Configuration
Apache Version : 2.0.63
PHP Version : 5.0.5
I don't kown how to install ssl,please help me!Thanks.

#########################################################################################
In addition,if someone follows the steps <<Wamp2 HTTPS and SSL Setup Step-by-Step guide>> and encounters
problem,the method may help you.
In httpd.conf file,Change the line "ServerName localhost:80" to "ServerName localhost"

Posted by: praveenj (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 12, 2008 11:10PM

i am unable to set wamp server , to access throu wan.

i am using trend net router can any body help me with the step by step process than ku

Posted by: h_a (168.187.86.---)
Date: June 15, 2008 04:33PM

i did it all but im having a syntax error at line 68 ,,, when i make the httpd -t

what can i do ??

Posted by: h_a (168.187.86.---)
Date: June 15, 2008 04:56PM

here's what i did ...

SSLMutex default "..."

when i made it like this

SSLMutex "default "

it gave me another error at line 99 that the certificate file does not exist or is empty... but it is there ... confused smiley what am i doing wrong.. i proceeded with the tutorial 100% with no errors.

appreciate the help

takecare.. grinning smiley

Posted by: Niyati (59.95.245.---)
Date: July 09, 2008 11:55AM

HI... i m using WAMP5.1.7 version...Now i try to create SSL using your steps....
But in step

1b) Create a server key with 1024 bits encryption. You should enter this command without quotes:
"openssl genrsa -des3 -out server.key 1024". It'll ask you a pass phrase, just enter it. '

I try it but it gives me error like

'openssl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file.

my DOS prompt : C:\wamp\Apache2\bin>

Plz reply me as soon as possible...

Posted by: Niyati (59.95.245.---)
Date: July 09, 2008 12:22PM

HI... i m using WAMP5.1.7 version...Now i try to create SSL using your steps....
But in step

1b) Create a server key with 1024 bits encryption. You should enter this command without quotes:
"openssl genrsa -des3 -out server.key 1024". It'll ask you a pass phrase, just enter it. '

I try it but it gives me error like

'openssl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file.

my DOS prompt : C:\wamp\Apache2\bin>

Plz reply me as soon as possible...

Posted by: cintiaM (---.bolsadevalores.co.mz)
Date: September 10, 2008 11:34AM

Hi
I´m a new bee in Wamp
i installed in my PC (OS Windows) Wamp server 2.0
i need to get https working, I've done all the steps shown here, but Apache doesn't restart. The icon, is 1/3 red.

I need this working asap.

help!

Posted by: h_a (62.215.221.---)
Date: October 28, 2008 11:34AM

hello,

i have done exactly as you guide however i think we should add this step

in the httpd.conf change the serverroot name to ServerRoot "C:/wamp/bin/apache/apache2.2.8"
because it gave me syntax error if i didnt change it.

however im having some problems. after checking syntax ok, i restarted wamp, i browsed [localhost] it gave me HTTP 403 forbidden.

I tried [localhost] it gave me the directory index.php i clicked it it gave me option to save or open file

also i couldnt open the phpmyadmin

please help sad smiley

regards,

Posted by: rmahannah (---.uscg.mil)
Date: October 29, 2008 01:51PM

Hambuler,

I just wanted to say thank you for this! I am running WampServer 2.0c on Windows XP, and I was looking for a way to make it more secure by using the https. I am setting up a private server for my church youth group, and there will be kids ages 12-20 something using it, so I wanted to keep the stalkers, and "deceptors" away from them, and this will surely help! I have my domain name set up through 1&1 which seems to be pretty reputable... Have you had any luck using Hamachi as an extra layer of security? Take care!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2008 01:56PM by rmahannah.

Posted by: hambuler (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: November 25, 2008 06:37PM

If you can't create a self-signed certificate successfully for your webserver after following these step-by-step instructions, you might consider getting a relatively free SSL digital certificate for your website/webserver at "[cert.startcom.org];. If you insist on creating a self-signed certificate for testing, you might post questions and someone may answer for you.

Posted by: dws (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: December 04, 2008 02:27AM

I'm having the same problem as cclaudia386 and jdgiotta.

"I have followed all the steps you mentioned, but at step number 6 I couldn't restart my Apache server. In Apache error log file apears only one thing

Unable to open logs "

I know it must be the path but I've spent hours and can't get past it! Any help?

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: December 04, 2008 03:19AM

hambuler's is very good but if you still have problem, you might like to check my detail step-by-step guide here
[blog.jlbn.net]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Pages: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.