FEATURE REQUEST: Port Changing
Posted by: Kmaid (152.71.42.---)
Date: March 05, 2008 03:22PM

I would like to request being able to change your port through the WAMP. After installing WAMP and editing the configuration files so I could run my test software alongside my normal web server I found that the links in the menus no longer worked and i have yet to reconfigure phpmyadmin to work with WAMP's mysql server. Let me know what you think

Thanks
Kmaid

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FEATURE REQUEST: Port Changing
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: March 05, 2008 06:10PM

What did you change? Can you post more detail?

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: Kmaid (---.nott.cable.ntl.com)
Date: March 05, 2008 08:04PM

I changed the ports that Apache and Mysql work on to 4000 and 4001 respectively in their configuration files (my.ini and htconf). When i use the WAMP menu to access my server it still points to [localhost] instead of [localhost]. As a side effect although SQLlite seems to work normally phpmyadmin still tries to connect to mySQLs default port..

As the rest of the changes you could do to apache and mysql configuration wouldn’t affect how it works I figured it would be a good thing to include. Perhaps my use of WAMP is just different to everyone elses, Seems to be that way with alot of things these days.

Kmaid

P.S. as a side though i suppose the only other thing that would affect the menuing system is if you changed the htdocs/www path in apache

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras1.blp.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: March 05, 2008 08:08PM

your not explaing this clearly... all menus work for any of my wamp installations all on diferent ports

Date: March 05, 2008 08:13PM

Hmm, How did you set the ports? I simply changed the httpd.conf file using the wamp menu to pull up the config in notepad. Perhaps i have missed somthing. I will go look for documentation

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2008 08:17PM by Kmaid.

Date: March 05, 2008 08:17PM

open up httpd.conf

change
Listen 80

to
Listen x

X being the port you want.

and change

Servername localhost:80

to

Servername localhost:x

x again being ur port

Date: March 05, 2008 08:19PM

That is exactly what i have done, The only other change i made is changing the document root could that have affected it?

Date: March 05, 2008 08:25PM

yes .. why would you change it??

i really dont know why people change this

Date: March 05, 2008 08:36PM

Programmers usually have particular ways of doing things or at least that is what I find. I am working on a large project which requires me to be quite organised in my work as I work with others on it. I see the PHP side of the system a different application to the web server so it gets a folder in the project directory

Date: March 05, 2008 08:44PM

just imagine www folder as c:\ on your hard drive

its the base
you cant go lower

make folders inside it.

Date: March 05, 2008 09:10PM

This particular project has two parts of the system Master and Slave, So what I wanted to do is change the document root from master to slave instead of copying files. I could have two installations but that just means altering more configuration files and a big mess. I could have sub directories and put both inside the www directory but it’s not my ideal which is always what i strive for.

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: March 06, 2008 12:51AM

Most people change port because their ISP block common ports, they use proxy, they want to have different port for SSL, so on but based on what you stated, I suggest you use Virtual Host instead. If you're not sure how to, go to my personal website to check Setup Virtual Host guide which includes the simple steps that you can expand more to meet your needs. While you're at my website, check the list of guides, you will see that your request is in the progress ;-)

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.