wamp's mysql broken?
Posted by: Mircea (89.33.132.---)
Date: March 04, 2008 04:16AM

Hello everyone. I am new here smiling smiley I downloaded and installed the wamp 2.0 package today after using apache, php and mysql separately. Apache and PHP in wamp seem to work perfectly well, but mySql appears to be broken and I'm not sure if its a bug on my end. Any help with this would be highly appreciated.

So. After I installed wamp, I went into ...\Wamp\bin\mysql\mysql5.0.45\bin and ran MySQLInstanceConfig.exe first thing to configure mysql. Everything is fine until the "Ready to execute..." phase. Once I click the Execute button, it fails at the 2nd step (Write configuration file) saying "The template configuration file cannot be found at (path)\my-template.cnf.

I googled for a while then I found that my-template.cnf should actually be my.ini. So I took a copy of my.ini, renamed it to my-template.cnf and put it in the bin folder. The setup now finally sees it and gets past that problem, but there is another separate problem now that it cannot get past... the one I actually need to know about;

After successfully completing step 1 and 2, at step 3 (Start service) it fails with the error "Could not start the service MySQL.Error:0" After looking for what may be causing this for a while, I finally found out the cause; I went to Administrative Tools, Services, and went to the service MySQL in that list (generated by the InstanceConfig tool), and checked its properties. For Path to exacutable: I found this in the line there: "...Wamp\bin\mysql\mysql5.0.45\bin\bin\mysqld-nt" --defaults-file=...".

The problem is caused at the "\bin\bin\" part. There should only be one bin, "\bin\". "...\mysql5.0.45\bin\mysqld-nt..." would be the correct path. Posted in this screenshot here [img223.imageshack.us] . So this error is caused by that file being generated like that. And I cannot manually change that path either, because if I do the InstanceConfig then tells me there is already a MySQL service running and I must remove that one before running it. Its InstanceConfig that must generate it correctly.

I have tried everything. I reinstalled wamp, removed everything from the old mysql from the registry and folder, installed in different locations, but nothing. Can someone please tell me whats wrong with it and what I must do to run the instanceconfig tool and have it execute all steps correctly? Thanks lots!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wamp's mysql broken?
Posted by: hambuler (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: March 04, 2008 06:12AM

I think you screwed up mysql configuration installation. The my-template.ini file is not the same as my.ini
you should edit my.ini instead of executing MySQLInstanceConfig.exe. You can try to download the file from standalone mysql5.0 and extract the my-template.ini file.

Date: March 04, 2008 01:50PM

Not sure why it would have screwed up, because I completely remove everything related to mysql on my computer and install wamp from zero. What could possibly brake it? The problem appears to be the my-template file not being generated correctly by the wamp mysql... related to my first bug.

Anyway, I did what you said and used the correct my-template.ini file from the standalone mysql (had to rename it to cnf however otherwise it doesn't see it), but I still get the Service Start Error: 0 problem, because it still generates that \bin\bin\ error in the service process path to executable. I think that is unrelated to the my-template problem.

I don't know what it could be, I removed all responsible registry entries before installing wamp, kept deleting the MySQL service each time before generating a new one, but still it does that. My firewall is also off, so I really can't think what could be doing it. Also, if I install the standalone mysql now, it works like before, but I want to use only the wamp one and not that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2008 01:51PM by Mircea.

Posted by: hambuler (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: March 04, 2008 05:22PM

Why don't you go to and edit my.ini file? It's the same instead if excuting MySQLInstanceConfig.exe

Date: March 04, 2008 05:23PM

Never mind, I managed to fix it. The problem with the bin/bin (or bin\bin) path was in the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> MySQL AB -> MySQL Server 5.0 -> Location , where the location of MySQL Server 5.0 was actually into bin subfolder instead of being only into the MySQL folder. I had to delete the \bin at the ending of that path and it seen it correctly after that.

There was another bug afterwards, about the service "terminating unexpectedly" which was fixed by deleting the files ib_logfile0 ib_logfile1 and ibdata1 from the folder Data like written in another bug on mysql.com. Now it all works well again smiling smiley

Posted by: Thean (---.cache.isnet.net)
Date: June 23, 2010 09:59AM

Hello Mircea, i do realize this topic was quite a long time ago but i'm having similar problems to what you had here? I have removed the \bin from the image path and now the service doesn't want to start, at step 3? If you get this can you maybe give me a detailed procedure of how you got it to work or anybody else who knows how to fix this problem, please, would really appreciate the help. Thanks in advance...

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras2.blp.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: June 23, 2010 05:34PM

u shudnt follow his advice...

just check your pc for my.ini files outside the wamp folder

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Posted by: miirii (---.tc.ph.cox.net)
Date: August 07, 2010 12:50PM

Mircea Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyway, I did what you said and used the correct
> my-template.ini file from the standalone mysql
> (had to rename it to cnf however otherwise it
> doesn't see it), but I still get the Service Start
> Error: 0 problem, because it still generates that
> \bin\bin\ error in the service process path to
> executable. I think that is unrelated to the
> my-template problem.

- Mircea daca vorbesti romaneste pot sa iti explic si in romana... mi-am dat seamna dupa nume ca poti fi roman =) stiu ca e 2 ani mai tarziu raspunsul dar daca te pot ajuta, de ce nu.

- Anyway it seems to me that mysql doesn't want to start because you have a path error in the service.
- So what you can do is use the "sc" windows command which is used for the NT Service Controller... thru the MS-DOS command line (Start -> Run -> cmd -> sc ) and check the mysql service path and make changes accordingly to your path/directory...

- hope this helps!

- noroc!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.