Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: WAMP doesnt take me to my folder spec.
Posted by: toivo (203.19.130.---)
Date: March 02, 2008 10:27AM

HI,

I hope you realiset that:

1) username@localhost means just that the user connects from the server running MySQL which is not very realistic for a remote user, connecting from a laptop while on the road

2) as yfastud pointed out , you do not want to open up the access to your MySQL server to every host - then you are only protected by a username and password, and a small bit of social engineering could expose your condifential data

3) the actual username that you give to your remote user like yourself depends on the computer name of the host you are connecting from, which depends on the domain the computer is a member of. Check the mysql logs for failed connections to see which exact username and the appended host is trying to connect to the database.

Otherwise, if your remote user(s) connect using the web interface, they are just using the standard username (as set by the application) @localhost.

Cheers,

toivo
Sydney, Australia

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: hingsmaf003 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 02, 2008 06:10PM

so waitwat shud i do???? my computer name is office and my ip is 67.80.94.144 so whats my steps im confused

Posted by: hambuler (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: March 02, 2008 11:56PM

Try all hosts for testing purpose, then allow only some domain host name such as yourcompany.com if remote sql login is succesful. If you don't have a domain name, then resolve your IP address to a domain name. Ask your ISP provider, they know or try Dos cmd: ping -a 67.80.94.144

Date: March 03, 2008 12:38AM

weell i pinged it dont have any idea wat any of it means but ill tell u wat u need to know... but i have a domain for my mysql server i just dont know how to link those 2 together the domain is mysql.hingsmaf.com im in the mist of trying ur first steps ill let u know how they workout

Date: March 03, 2008 12:43AM

ok that didnt work either right now i think its the mysql server i need to worry about instead of the phpmyadmin unless theres a way to change the mysql server connection from localhost

Date: March 03, 2008 12:48AM

What didn't work?

Date: March 03, 2008 01:14AM

i did the all hosts then i did a specific host but wat i need to do is change my mysql to run using that specific host right now the specific host is localhost i need it to be mysql.hingsmaf.com (im about 90% positive this is changed with the mysql service instead of a change in phpmyadmin)

Date: March 03, 2008 02:01AM

further clairfication: i have to change my mysql host thats wat im trying to do... im trying to specify my mysql server to run as mysql.hingsmaf.com rather than... localhost if taht makes sense please help i have one week to get this app to the customer

Date: March 03, 2008 02:32AM

You see only mysql local host i.e root@localhost because you and your wamp server resides at local host. You need to install phpmyadmin wamp server on a different computer, either in the same local LAN where the mysql server mysql.hingsmaf.com belongs to or in a different physical network. When you login mysql server mysql.hingsmaf.com from phpmyadmin on that 2nd computer, you'll see rightaway you are accessing mysql.hingsmaf.com as root@mysql.hingsmaf.com

Date: March 03, 2008 02:49AM

wait can u explain i understood the install wamp on the second machine but y wud i need to create a web server i just need to change my hostname ive searched and thats wat they sed i have to do but it doesnt say how

Date: March 03, 2008 02:53AM

Phpmyadmin needs a webserver. Otherwise, you can not open it from a web browser because web browsers need web servers.

Date: March 03, 2008 02:56AM

i just tried it and it still says @localhost so i dont know but myabe i dont need to change it so ill clarify i have a vb tapp that will be run on different computers than my server and that i dont know what host name to use being that i cant use localhost

Date: March 03, 2008 03:03AM

That's fast. I forget to tell you After installing phpmyadmin wamp server on the 2nd computer, you need to edit config.inc.php in phpmyadmin2.10.1 folder. Find the line that says $cfg['Servers'][$i]['host'] = 'localhost';

And replace localhost with the 'mysql.hingsmaf.com'. Change 'config' on the line $cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'config' to 'cookie'.

Date: March 03, 2008 03:17AM

well taht worked on my local machine now i can login and it says everything correctly thanks now im gonna try the other machines

Date: March 03, 2008 03:31AM

IT WORKED THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!

Date: March 03, 2008 04:58AM

Sure. Any time.

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.