wamp email
Posted by: amarocket (---.amrlcmta01.tx.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: February 17, 2008 03:38AM

I'm totally new at this stuff so excuse my ignorance. I have a web form and a php program that will send the form to my email address. So far all the stuff I have done has been on my desktop and I have not uploaded anything to our clubs hosting server yet. Is there a way for me to test my form and actually find out if it does send the email to me without having to upload it to the hosting server? To my knowledge I have WAMP setup to be used just locally on my desktop. The reason I downloaded WAMP was to test a PHP RSS reader I included in one of my webpages. If there is a way to email the form please explain things in real simple terms since this is not my normal skill area.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wamp email
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: February 17, 2008 03:49AM

wamp does NOT come w/ mail server, refer to this thread:

[forum.wampserver.com]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: DJ_MELERIX (201.215.82.---)
Date: February 17, 2008 03:15PM

Use SMTP from windows winking smiley

Date: February 17, 2008 03:45PM

He he... he he... ;-)
DJ, he didn't know how to, so if you really like to share, you should post steps for him, especially security to prevent spammers' spybots

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: toivo (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 18, 2008 08:46PM

Hi,

You do not need to install a mail server in your WAMP box. You can configure the STMP settings of PHP to point to another server in your LAN which runs an SMTP server, or to the SMTP server of your ISP. The SMTP settings are documented at [php.net].

You can then use the mail() function of PHP, or a class like phpMailer, to send messages.

Whichever function you use to send mail, make sure that if your application accepts user input as email addresses, the application code must carefully validate the format of the email address your users enter and scrub the input data from any SQL injection attempts and attempts to use your server as a relay server. It is important to do some research on these security topics first.

Regards,

toivo
Sydney, Australia

Posted by: amarocket (---.amrlcmta01.tx.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: February 18, 2008 08:58PM

I found the instructions below on the net. Is this what I need to do? Do I have any security risk in doing this?
I only need to test my form to make sure it actually sends an email but I know if there are security risk a few seconds on the net could pose a problem.

Setting up email in WAMP
1) Open the “php.ini“. You should know where it is located because it depends upon the particular server you’re running.

2) Search for the attribute called “SMTP” in the php.ini file.Generally you can find the line “SMTP=localhost“. change the localhost to the smtp server name of your ISP. And, there is another attribute called “smtp_port” which should be set to 25.I’ve set the following values in my php.ini file.

SMTP = smtp.wlink.com.np smtp_port = 25

3) Restart the apache server so that PHP modules and attributes will be reloaded.

4) Now try to send the mail using the mail() function ,

mail(”you@yourdomain.com”,”test subject”,”test body”);

you might get the warning like this,

Warning: mail() [function.mail]: “sendmail_from” not set in php.ini or custom “From:” header missing in C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\testmail.php on line 1

5) Now specify the following headers and try to send the mail again,

$headers = ‘MIME-Version: 1.0′ . “\r\n”; $headers .= ‘Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1′ . “\r\n”; $headers .= ‘From: sender@sender.com’ . “\r\n”; mail(”you@yourdomain.com”,”test subject”,”test body”,$headers);

Well that’s all, the mail is sent to “you@yourdomain.com” from the localhost.

Note : Some smtp server verifies the email address of the sender so the email address which is in the place of “sender@sender.com” should be a valid and existing email address otherwise mail might not be sent to the “you@yourdomain.com”.

Date: February 18, 2008 09:07PM

There is NO security in there at all, and also make sure that your ISP allows you to use their mail server since most do NOT or they will terminate your service immediately

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: toivo (203.19.130.---)
Date: February 19, 2008 12:41AM

It does not matter if you send messages from Outlook Express running in a workstation in your LAN or from your WAMP server. The ISP is usually worried about you sending heaps of messages directly from your server, in other words, if you are sending SPAM. Your agreement with your ISP probably states how many messages with similar content you can send in a given time period. If you send more, you will be in breach of your agreement. Many ISPs also block TCP port 25 so that you can only send messages via their STMP server.

Your application needs to validate the format of the email addresses. You cannot easily check much more because of the limitations of the getmxrr() and checkdnsrr() functions in the Windows implementation of PHP, for more info check the PHP manual at
[php.net], but, as the manual points out, you may be able to do the checks using the PEAR class Net_DNS.

Regards,

toivo
Sydney, Australia

Posted by: NewJoom (93.107.148.---)
Date: February 04, 2011 01:43PM

yfastud, excuse my ignorance also, but I dont understand how you have to enter the ISP details as with me for example: I usually access a numer of different wireless networks during the course of each week..so if I was to enter my UPC ISP SMTP Mail server address, when Im using vodafone wont the UPC address be void? again..very sorry for my ignorance. I am using wampserver and joomla and my mail function is not working

Date: February 04, 2011 03:26PM

Be careful w/ mail server, even just for testing, because the second, not even minute, your mail server is up, spammers' spybots can detect and use your mail server for their purposes and you, yes YOU, are the one who take all responsibilities for their actions, in worst case you might be sentenced in jail sad smiley
Wampserver does not come w/ mail so you should join some other forums that discuss about mail to get help or you would end up in jail like 1 of my friend sad smiley

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: NewJoom (93.107.148.---)
Date: February 04, 2011 04:08PM

yfastud, excuse my ignorance also, but I dont understand how you have to enter the ISP details as with me for example: I usually access a numer of different wireless networks during the course of each week..so if I was to enter my UPC ISP SMTP Mail server address, when Im using vodafone wont the UPC address be void? again..very sorry for my ignorance. I am using wampserver and joomla and my mail function is not working

Posted by: renishar (117.206.58.---)
Date: July 07, 2011 10:45AM

when i cofigure smtp to smtp.gmail.com using port 465 and 587, the following warning occured.

Warning: mail() [function.mail]: SMTP server response: 530-5.5.1 Authentication Required. Learn more at 530 5.5.1 [mail.google.com] c5sm1011443pbh.94 in C:\wamp\www\ARS\mailerpage.php on line 103

Date: July 07, 2011 11:23PM

Authentication Required means you have no permission and/or privilege to access their mail server which I've already mentioned too many times on this threads winking smiley

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: cogitate (169.145.3.---)
Date: August 11, 2011 06:30AM

studley... it doesn't mean that at all.

It means you need to pass a valid userid/password to use the SMTP server.

Can you post the syntax to configure php's mail() to pass that (securely?)?

tx

Posted by: phpMagpie (---.114.58.144.plusnet.thn-ag3.dyn.plus.net)
Date: February 27, 2012 03:43PM

Hi all,

The top comment from 'webmaster at weethet dot nl' at the following link explains how to get wamp sending test emails:
[php.net]

It uses [glob.com.au] and worked first time for me using a smtp account which requires authentication.

Please note: I am only using this to development scripts locally before they have been uploaded.

HTh, phpMagpie

Re: wamp email -http 500 internal server error"
Posted by: maruthidatta (---.119.42.147.static-Hyderabad.tcisl.net.in)
Date: April 11, 2012 02:21PM

Hi

I have an HMailServer and apache with squirrelmail working on the wingate machine and everything is fine with email/webmail in server.

Giving proxy in IE at client systems --it says "http 500 internal server error"

Without proxy it is working fine

Give me the solution how to access the mailserver with proxy in IE at client system

Help me to get the solution

maruthidatta

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.