Slow performance on Windows XP
Posted by: commando (---.cable.telstraclear.net)
Date: January 31, 2008 10:20PM

Hi all,

I'm writing a php app using WAMP on an XP SP2 machine, 2GB RAM, dual core Athlon 4800+ processor, with a default install of wamp. When I browse pure html pages the performance is pretty much instant. When I access a simple php script that doesn't use the database it takes around 1 second to generate the page - I tried this with a range of simple php scripts, including phpInfo(). When I access a page that also hits the database, such as the app i'm writing or phpMyAdmin, the page generation time jumps to 2 seconds.

One thing i've noticed is when i'm showing a page of the app i'm writing using CakePHP it takes about 3 seconds to show the page, but the page timer says 0.2 seconds. This suggests it's not the execution of the php that's taking the time, but perhaps the way that PHP's being invoked by apache.

When I put the same scripts on a shared linux server everything's pretty much instant.

Does anyone have any tips on how to optimize WAMP to give a more snappy response?

Thanks smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2008 10:21PM by commando.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Slow performance on Windows XP
Posted by: commando (---.cable.telstraclear.net)
Date: February 01, 2008 12:39AM

After a bit of fiddling i've tracked the performance issue to the use of xdebug. When I disable it things are a lot more snappy.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.