Problems using WampServer while connected to the internet
Posted by: daveytxaro (---.Red-83-39-84.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net)
Date: January 10, 2008 12:16PM

I have finally installed WampServer 2a on my Windows XP (SP2) machine and after initial teething problems have managed to set it up on Port 81. My machine is a stand-alone unit and I have an adsl internet connection. When I boot up my machine it is Offline, everything loads OK and I can start WampServer - both services are running and I can connect to localhost and use phpinfo(), phpMyAdmin and sqlitemanager. All seems fine...
As soon as I connect to the internet (to read the forum etc.) I cannot connect to localhost any more. I have tried restarting All Services and they are running. When I try to open localhost it opens up Firefox with the message "Loading..." but it doesn´t load the index.php file.
I can get it to work again if I close down Firefox, disconnect from the internet, then close all Services in WampServer and shut it down completely then re-start WampServer. I can connect back to localhost and it all works as expected.
I am lost as to what is causing this - is it my Internet Connection settings (default settings as provided by my ISP - Orange.es)? Can someone help because so far I have found answers to all my configuration questions on this forum. Good work guys especially the main man "yfastud".

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Problems using WampServer while connected to the internet
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: January 10, 2008 02:36PM

Since you setup on port 81, you should access as localhos:81 instead, and make sure already enable that port 81 in all firewalls as well

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2008 02:46PM by yfastud.

Posted by: daveytxaro (---.Red-81-44-74.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net)
Date: January 10, 2008 04:52PM

OK Here´s what is happening.
I have WampServer all configured so that if I use the Localhost option in WampServer2.0 it looks up localhost:81 and connects to WAMP5 Homepage (index.php). Also, if I type [localhost] into the address on the browser it also works and connects to index.php. BUT only when I´m offline.
When I go online, even with the Windows firewall and ZoneAlarm switched off, open Firefox and type in [localhost] into the address I get the "Loading..." message but NO index.php!
Because both firewalls are switched off then surely they can´t be causing the problem.
Also, if I switch on the ZoneAlarm firewall, even while working offline, I can use WampServer to all its glory.
The problem only occurs when I go online.
I can´t see what is causing this so please put on your thinking caps, maybe someone has an idea they can share.

Date: January 10, 2008 05:01PM

I'm not quite good w/ ZoneAlarm, or to be exact, I've never used it, but from this forums, I actually see more than 1 person really have serious problem to use wamp w/ it, even ZA expert like cyberspatium finally had to gave up on it and switch to Kaspersky. Here is just my personal idea, so I hope you would figure it out or some other ZA experts can help you out on this issue. BTW, temp disable ZA might not help at all

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: daveytxaro (---.Red-83-38-118.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net)
Date: January 10, 2008 07:58PM

You have the patience of a Saint!
I have removed ZoneAlarm and re-installed Comodo Firewall Pro (also free). When I rebooted everything loaded just fine, and I can connect to the WAMP5 Homepage - even when connected to the internet.
Nice one.
I´m now very happy and can continue onto the path of learning PHP and listen to internet radio at the same time! (actaually it´s a bit more serious really - but I do work from home)
Thanks a lot.

Date: January 10, 2008 08:34PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.