WAMP services not running
Posted by: ranko_6 (---.adsl.net.t-com.hr)
Date: December 09, 2007 06:20PM

I have WinXP SP2. Installation of latest WAMP (WampServer 2.0) passed without any problems (I gave permission to WAMP on my firewall), but no matter how many times I try it's services just won't start. I read some other posts and found out about this page [www.jlbn.net] where it wrote that at the end of installation it should write "WAMP5 - All servies running - server Offline" when you put your mouse over WAMP in System Tray, but all I have is "WAMP5 - server Offline". I tried Start All Services, Stop All Services, Restart All Services but result is always the same, services won't start.

WAMP is already allowed in firewall (I added port 80 explicitly too, and even tried to start services with firewall down), IIS was Disabled before.
I don't know how to test port on my own, but fortunately for "people like me" there is Google. On one page I found out this instruction:

"Type the following into the address bar and press Enter: [];

And in case it opened that page, port 80 is open. Good thing, page did open so port should be opened too.

I found one more page [www.canyouseeme.org], where all I have to do is put port I want to test. And I get following message:
Error: I could not see your service on 78.xxx.xxx.173 on port (80)
Reason: Connection timed out

Which probably isn't a good thing. But then, no matter what port I entered I always got same error from that page. So it could be page.
After few additional port testing pages, it ended up that most of my ports are invisible (judging by [www.hackerwatch.org])

Accidentally I stumbled upon option to test port 80 which comes with WAMP itself. When Apache service is started it says
"Your port 80 is actually used by:
Server: Apache/2.2.6 (Win32) PHP/5.2.5"

If I stop that service it says:
"Your port 80 is not actually used."

In the end it seems that all services are run because option to start them individually is grayed and port testing which comes with WAMP says so. But because of some unknown reason to me they aren't working alto they are "running" (mousover on WAMP in system tray still results in "WAMP5 - server Offline", without any info about services). Accessing to localhost, phpMyAdmin and SQLiteManager result in infinite "Loading...". So far firefox is trying to open localhost for five minutes without any error such as timed out or similar.

Any info on where I could check what is the problem with services?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2007 07:14PM by yfastud.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WAMP services not running
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: December 09, 2007 07:19PM

Don't post your real web ip or email here in order to avoid detection of hackers' and spammers' spy bots

For some reason, some people had this problem before, so try to open w/ different browser. If still not success, you might want to uninstall, delete wamp folder, clean wampapache's and wampmysql's registry, restart computer, then reinstall wamp

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: unata (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: December 09, 2007 07:32PM

exact same problem here. Windows SP2, Skype turned off, firewall is off, nothing else is running but the browser. I think I will just install everything separately or... Any other alternatives to WAMP?

Got it working after doing the following:

1. unistalled WAMP
2. disabled Windows Firewall
3. Made sure Skype is not using port 80 [tools->options->advanced->connection]
4. installed WAMP again
5. installed Zone Alarm for firewall, restarted
6. Started WAMP, said "yes" to Zone Alarm dialog box

However my home network is all screwed up now and Windows can not find the second computer in the network. This is not that important to me, but just a warning for the future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2007 08:54PM by unata.

Posted by: ranko_6 (---.adsl.net.t-com.hr)
Date: December 10, 2007 12:48AM

sad smiley unfortunately it's not helping, probably it has some connections with router which was set before I moved in, Skype isn't since I can't use it. If I turn it on entire connection breaks down. Thanks for help, I'll try to install it some time later when I reformat my PC.

@yfastud thanks for editing my previous post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2007 12:50AM by ranko_6.

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: December 10, 2007 12:53AM

You're welcome any time. I don't want you guys get bombarded by spammers and/or hackers

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: loop4ever (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2007 01:42AM

I am using ZoneAlarm too and having problem with setting cookies. I am here to share my little knowledge about how to set the firewall in ZoneAlarm.

ZoneAlarm->firewall->expert->add a new entry

In Add a new entry window:

Name: whatever
Source: Modify->Add Location->My computer Destination: Any
Protocol:Modify->Add Protocol->Add Protocol Destination: Any

In Add Protocol window:
Protocol: TCP
Description: something (has to enter something otherwise the OK button stays dim)
Destination Port: HTTP 80
Source Port: HTTP 80

Good luck!

I am still trying to figure out how to set the cookie w/ ZoneALarm on.

loop4ever

Posted by: sg (203.200.70.---)
Date: November 05, 2008 07:50AM

hi
i have installed the wamp server successfully. but the problem is whenevr admin login wamp server work perfectly all the services run but as any other user logins the system through its userid and password wamp server do not work. mouse-over on the wamp server displays "none of the two services working - server online". why is it not working in case of user other than admin.
kindly help.

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras1.blp.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: November 05, 2008 08:37AM

u need to allow the servies run for all users on the pc.

goto start>run> type in 'services.msc' and press enter

scroll down to the two servcies

wampapache
wampmysql

right click them and select properties.

on the "general" tab of each service change startup from "manual" to "automatic".

also on the "log on" tab fill in the admin user and password and it will start the services with out needing the admin to be logged in.

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Date: November 05, 2008 09:29AM

thanks Steven

there is one query i would like to ask before doing so.
i have tried to open local host and phpmyadmin and it is being opening up. it means that wamp is working properly but the icon in the tray is sill showing none of the 2 services working- server online. Why is it showing so if WAMP is working??

Date: November 05, 2008 09:39AM

is wamp running in the admin account?? are u just switching users?

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Date: November 05, 2008 09:44AM

wamp is running in admin account and it is showing all services running. as i switched to user account wamp does work (both local host and php myadmin are being displayed and even the scripts are executing)but it displays none of the 2 services running

Date: November 05, 2008 11:01AM

because the services are not running for that user... if u look up the servicre list for that user u wont see them but because they are running in admin,,, it will still work.. if you close wamp in admin and log out then it wont wont in other users

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Date: November 05, 2008 11:15AM

i have checked... services.msc is showing wampapache and wampmysql( both started) for this particular user...still wamp dislpaying "none of the services working" and wamp is working...

Date: November 05, 2008 11:56AM

your not listening... the server is running in the admin account... there for all users can use it.

THE wamp tray icon tho can only show services for that user.. so yes the services are not running for that user but the server is running on that pc so it can be used...

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2008 11:57AM by stevenmartin99.

Date: November 05, 2008 12:11PM

k... i got it... thanks a ton

Date: November 05, 2008 12:18PM

no problem , your welcome

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Posted by: shameermohamed (195.229.235.---)
Date: November 30, 2010 08:18AM

Hi, i need to install wamp server, coldfusion, mysql in the same system. I already installed coldfusion and mysql. Its working. But when i installed wamp server, one of the two service is not running(showing yellow color). I stopped the IIS, MySQL service then restarted the wamp server, again the same problem. please help to solve this problem. please send a reply to shameer50@gmail.com. since i m facing this problem more than 3 months.

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.251.255.14.threembb.ie)
Date: November 30, 2010 09:21AM

Wamp has mysql. Uninstall the other mysql

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.