XP sharing & WAMP - 403 errors
Posted by: arlen (---.171.16.98.ip.alltel.net)
Date: November 06, 2007 06:52PM

I'm getting 403 errors on my virtual domains. I can access localhost via my browser and explore my subdirectories (for virtual hosts / sites) without any problems. I have XP sharing set up w/ full control so I can access it from both machnes on my network and have no problems with edit / copy / delete from w/in windows explorer. BUT ... I can't see the domains from w/in my browser. I have the virtual hosts section of httpd.conf set up exactly as it was back in the days before I started messing with things. It should work, I've used WAMP locally for years with this arrangement.

I've run across this before and fixed it by shutting off sharing for my document root, re-booting and re-sharing. This makes me lean toward XP permissions being the culprit, since this was the only time I remember receiving 403s before.

On this machine, in addition to sharing being set w/ full control there is a security tab where full control is granted. The Advanced button has to do with inheriting. I don't honestly understand how the child permissions work, but as the sub-directories didn't appear to be inheriting the permissions of the document root, I messed with it. Now I don't really know what settings are proper here. There are two options.
1) Inherit from parent the permission entries that apply to child objects. Include these with entries explicitly defined here.
2) Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects.

- Which of these settings should be set for my Document Root for "Everyone" ?

I shouldn't need to specifically set up sharing my subdirectories, but tried that and it still didn't work, so I may be off on my guess that this is the problem area. Any other suggestions you might have on why the 403 occurs?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: XP sharing & WAMP - 403 errors
Posted by: yfastud (72.236.169.---)
Date: November 06, 2007 07:04PM

Did you put your server in online mode through wamp tray icon yet? Did you setup local VH in host file yet? Also make sure to enable port 80 and LAN in firewalls for all machines

Have fun,

[test.jlbn.net] (Sample Testing Codes for PHP, MySQL, ASP.net, SQL, JSP)
[www.jlbn.net] (Basic Guide for WAMP & Add-ons)

Date: November 06, 2007 07:26PM

Yeah, I put the server online, and hosts file is good. I'll check port 80 & LAN, it used to be ok, but with all the changes I've made it may have gotten reset somehow. Thanks, I'll get back to you.

Date: November 06, 2007 08:57PM

UGH ... ok, got it, I hope.

Taking the server offline, then back online seems to have fixed the virtual host issue. I should have known to check that, and will in the future.

Crossing my fingers that this is the last major obsitcal and I'm good to go, need to reinstall my site / cart software, restore the db, edit the db w/ phpmyadmin and see if everything holds together.

Thanks for the help.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.