Give access to server outside home
Posted by: Kanon (---.ip.tiscali.nl)
Date: September 27, 2007 06:26PM

So... WAMP server is working correctly, and I created a internal network for my family. but now, I wanted to show someone some pictures, which were stored on my server. When I gave her the link to my computer (IPno), she got the message the server couldn't be found. So, what can I do to give other people (such as aunts, grandparents etc.) access to my server?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Give access to server outside home
Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2007 12:14AM

read the setting up apache in a network section of my manual then put wamp in online mode. link to my manual is in my signature.

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

I have WAMP5 working with (for development use only):
Windows Vista Ultimate x64 (64 bit)
Kaspersky Internet Security Suite 7.0.x
Spyware Terminater 2.x
CounterSpy 2.5.x

Need help? Check out my WAMP User Manual/Guide here!

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Clarify Loans
Mortgage and Home Loan Advice

LaxGo Web Directory
Powerful human edited web directory of quality, spam-free sites organized via a comprehensive category structure.

Posted by: conan1975 (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: September 28, 2007 03:17AM

ok I am an extremely advanced user and have installed php4.3 and apache on seperate XP as "servers" many times.. but I am setting up a php5/mysql5 test server using wamp for speed reasons (earlier today the saga began as I also had problems with the libmysql.php environment variables registration so php wouldn't pick up php_mysqli.dll and php_mysql.dll even though their folders were in the env variable path) anyway I digress - I just thought "oh stuff it i'll try that wamp thing" and bingo it worked rigth awya on local.. i was so happy!! So now what I think must have been a registry corruption is gone but now a new pain has arrived... Anyway my point is so by enlarge I know what everything does and I've used php/apache/mysql windows bundles before too withouth any problem... my problem is not on localhost.. everything runs fine if i'm local it's external - specfically external access 404 errors... I have them and I also saw them on a freinds PC running wamp and he was stuck with this same thing too .. I came over his house 2 weeks ago and went through the httpd.conf line by line and compared it to my (slightly older apache yet) healthy server and I simply COULD NO see what he was doing wrong... now I too am in the same boat basically I am 100% sure all the elements of the Apache configuration you outline in your vhosts section of the manual (the tips section) are set as I would expect to set them (on my desktop here) but for some reason I cannot fathom when vhosts are on fine and when "Put Online" is working what teeny tiny option I must be missing!?!?!... what do I need to tell apache to make it stop blocking external use? It's not the router cos I had (like I say non-vhost working from this same machine before i started with wamp) it has to be apache being piniketty... my gut feeling it it's an obscure teeny tiny one-liner that is some default setting that's been changed to be over protective and it's driving me crazy..

are these settings the bad ones?

#
<Directory />
Options FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride None
Order deny,allow
Deny from all
Satisfy all
</Directory>

Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2007 07:36AM

you are denying access to all:
Deny from all

you need to allow users. to allow only yourself, use:
<Directory />
Options FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride None
Order deny,allow
Deny from all
Allow from 127.0.0.1
</Directory>

to alllow access to everyone, use:
<Directory />
Options FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride None
Order deny,allow
Allow from all
Satisfy all
</Directory>

10:10 PM 9/27/2007CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

I have WAMP5 working with (for development use only):
Windows Vista Ultimate x64 (64 bit)
Kaspersky Internet Security Suite 7.0.x
Spyware Terminater 2.x
CounterSpy 2.5.x

Need help? Check out my WAMP User Manual/Guide here!

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Clarify Loans
Mortgage and Home Loan Advice

LaxGo Web Directory
Powerful human edited web directory of quality, spam-free sites organized via a comprehensive category structure.

Posted by: conan1975 (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: September 28, 2007 02:13PM

ok I did what you said and no difference... I am really confused, you see while I didn't really understand "how" these </Directory> settings were doing what they do, I knew what they were "for" and I had been changing them back and forth to try to get the thing to work.... I also tried to alter the root folder </Directory> setts... no luck... are there any wamp/latest apache build "default"security settings that have been indtrocuded that are designed to obstruct?

I can confirm that I've been totally stumped... I just cannot get this to work from outside the localhost... and the only example of an httpd.conf file I have is an older version I have but seems to be identicle except for the roor folder... once this if sorted this really needs to be in the FAQ because it's almost certainly the most frustrating thing about this apache conf that wamp use (like I say I've met it twice)

to be honest... this remins me of the register_globals disaster that PHP did to me once... just changing the default installation setts and not being obvious about it sad smiley :

can you do a check list of all the default settings I need to change (not the details of "how", just the details of "what" to get wamp online?

Posted by: lawnchairpilot (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 30, 2007 04:47AM

Having the same problem. Server works fine from localhost but I get nothing from outside. Using Visa 32bit Ultimate and a Linksys WCG200 on Comcast.

Static IP with Port forwarding is set. I used a web site with a port sniffer and it confirmed that port 80 was open. [www.hackerwatch.org]
Port 80 is open in the Vista firewall.
So I have turned my focus on apache.

These settings are in the httpd.conf:

<Directory />
Options FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride None
Order deny,allow
Allow from all
Satisfy all

</Directory>

The WAMP5 icon in the toolbar says its online.

I have turned on Vista's firewall, the Linksys firewall, setup the IP as a DMZ, everything and can't seem to get the server to be seen from the outside world. Any ideas?

Andrew

&quot;Once a man has flown he will forever walk the earth looking skyward, for there he has been and there he longs to be.&quot;

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.