PHPmyAdmin Outside access
Posted by: webdevised (---.epbinternet.com)
Date: September 14, 2007 10:45PM

I have been searching this forum for about an hour now and have found somewhat of an answer to the question of.. "How do I access PHPmyadmin from the outside. Not just one computer but any that knows my IP?"

I know that It is a risk but I am not worried about it. I just want to be able to change DB stuff no matter where I am.

Does any one know the correct way to do this. I have tried what people have said before with no luck. I have just upgraded to the new verison.

Please some one be my hero.....

-WD

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PHPmyAdmin Outside access
Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 15, 2007 08:29AM

wamp comes setup to only allow access to phpmyadmin to localhost. this keeps anyone else from being able to access phpmyadmin steal/change/delete/etc your databases and data. if you need to allow access to the outside world you need to put some protection in place.

first, you will need to edit your root users permissions and add a password for the root user. mysql comes with the root user with no password, so for securiyht reasons you need to add a password. the phpmyadmin section in my manual covers this topic (link to my manual is in my sig). once you have setup the password for the root user, you need to follow the instructions in my manual that tell you how to edit the phpmyadmin config file to use the new password.

second, you will need to edit the alias setting for phpmyadmin to allow access to phpmyadmin from everyone. then you will also need to edit phpmyadmins config file to make phpmyadmin show a page where people have to login before they can access phpmyadmin.

to edit the alis setting open the phpmyadmin alias config file:
left click on the wamp tray icon -> alias directories -> [localhost] -> edit alias

find:
<Directory "c:/wamp/phpmyadmin/">
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
AllowOverride all
Order Deny,Allow
Deny from all
Allow from 127.0.0.1
</Directory>

change to:
<Directory "c:/wamp/phpmyadmin/">
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
AllowOverride all
Order Deny,Allow
Allow from all
</Directory>

save the file. now open up phpmyadmin config file:
C:\wamp\phpmyadmin\config.inc.php

find:
$cfg['blowfish_secret'] = '';

change to:
$cfg['blowfish_secret'] = '_ENTER_SOME_RANDOM_UPPERCASE, LOWERCASE, AND NUMBERS_HERE_';

i suggest you make the blowfish secret at least 20 characters.

now find:
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'config';

change to:
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'cookie';

now save the files and restart apache for the new settings to take effect. when you acces phpmymin now you will see a page where you now need to login to access phpmyadmin. your user name is root and your password is the password you set for the root user in the first step.

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

I have WAMP5 working with (for development use only):
Windows Vista Ultimate x64 (64 bit)
Kaspersky Internet Security Suite 7.0.x
Spyware Terminater 2.x
CounterSpy 2.5.x

Need help? Check out my [url=http://forum.wampserver.com/read.php? f=2&i=12300&t=12300][u][b]WAMP User Manual/Guide[/b][/u][/url] here!

[url=http://www.webdevnewbie.com][u][b]Web Development for Newbie's Blog[/b][/u] [/url] - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

[url=http://www.clarifyloans.com][b][u]Clarify Loans[/u][/b][/url]
Mortgage and Home Loan Advice

[url=http://www.laxgo.com][b][u]LaxGo Web Directory[/u][/b][/url]
Powerful human edited web directory of quality, spam-free sites organized via a comprehensive category structure.

Posted by: Wulv (---.arts.uwo.ca)
Date: September 20, 2007 05:39PM

Thanks for this, was looking everywhere yesterday when I set up a machine in a closet as a small webserver for a project. But now I get an error that says "MySQL not launched or bad phpmyadmin config" on the opening config page when testing.

Post Edited (09-20-07 18:24)

Posted by: rexzooly (---.hudd.cable.ntl.com)
Date: September 24, 2007 10:39AM

phpmyadmin for this might be locked if so just get your own version and install in to the server and also make sure that mysql has a password or phpmyadmin will not alowe you to go public well this is what i have seen from using it.

but if you have a computer set up i would just remote it to change phpmyadmin.

Rex

Webbing Online

Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 26, 2007 10:14PM

i highly recommend you do not allow remote accesses to your computer, especially setting up a webserver for you.

> "MySQL not launched or bad phpmyadmin config"
you need to enable the mysql extension. start wamp and left click on the wamp system tray icon -> php settings -> php extensions -> php_mysql. if there is a small triangle next to php_mysql, it means that it is enabled.

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

I have WAMP5 working with (for development use only):
Windows Vista Ultimate x64 (64 bit)
Kaspersky Internet Security Suite 7.0.x
Spyware Terminater 2.x
CounterSpy 2.5.x

Need help? Check out my WAMP User Manual/Guide here!

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Clarify Loans
Mortgage and Home Loan Advice

LaxGo Web Directory
Powerful human edited web directory of quality, spam-free sites organized via a comprehensive category structure.

Posted by: yfastud (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 27, 2007 01:31AM

"How do I access PHPmyadmin from the outside. Not just one computer but any that knows my IP?"

I know that It is a risk but I am not worried about it. I just want to be able to change DB stuff no matter where I am.

It depends on how you set it up.

Actually, I've got a very good trick that allow me, and only me, to edit and maintain MySQL from anywhere, no matter it's local or global, but I consider myself a very clumsy coder; therefore, I'd like to wait a little more time to see how "experts" handle this before I post.

Have fun,

[www.jlbn.net] (Basic Guide for WAMP and Add-ons)

Posted by: jw_k (---.net-you.de)
Date: September 27, 2007 02:21PM

after making the webspace accessable from the outside world restrict the access to the phpmyadmin folder by means of "... Require valid-user" in .htaccess or use auth_type = http or cookie in phpmyadmin\config.inc.php ( see [wiki.cihar.com]
):

<?php
$i = 1;
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'http';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['extension'] = 'mysqli'; //php5, mysql 4.1.3+
?>

or

<?php
$cfg['blowfish_secret'] = 'quodlibet70322'; // anything < 42 chars
$i = 1;
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'cookie';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['extension'] = 'mysqli';
?>

and don't forget to give every user a password
(especially "root" smiling smiley

Using the config method has the advantage that the users have access only to their own databases like granted in mysql.

HTH
Jürgen Wind

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.