Domain Name
Posted by: NowakFilip (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: August 11, 2007 07:44PM

Hello Guys,
How can i set up a domain name to be used instead of [localhost]
I have my own domain name that i have purchased, but i don't know how to set up the domain on the wamp that i have just installed.
Please help.

Thank You

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Domain Name
Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 11, 2007 07:52PM

read my manual (link to manual is in my sig)

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Need help? Check out my WAMP User Manual/Guide here!

Cellular Phone Deals - The Best on the Net! - FREE PHONES! Take your pick from our featured cellular phone deals by Cingular, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint PCS, Nextel, and more! Most of our cellular phone offers include a FREE cellular phone with FREE shipping!

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Clarify Loans
Mortgage and Home Loan Advice

LaxGo Web Directory
Powerful human edited web directory of quality, spam-free sites organized via a comprehensive category structure.

Date: August 11, 2007 08:21PM

Thank You,
I have set up the fallowing stuff and i hope it will work. If something will not work i will contact you.

Thank You

Date: August 11, 2007 10:19PM

I have seen that on who is my name servers are show bellow:
NS3.ZONEEDIT.COM
NS9.ZONEEDIT.COM
But i still don't see my site, i see the old files that i had on my server.
Also when i was setting up the domain name i have also done this step:
More info on domain name propagation:
[en.wikipedia.org]

you now need to edit a line in the httpd.conf file to allow virtual host. open c:\wamp\apache2\conf\httpd.conf and find this line:
#Include conf/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf

remove the pound sign ( # ) at the beginning of that line to enable this setting. save the file and restart apache for the new setting to take effect.

--------------
Please help !

Thank You

Date: August 12, 2007 04:04AM

you need to add the virtualhost configuration to your httpd-vhosts.conf file.

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Cellular Phone Deals - The Best on the Net! - FREE PHONES! Take your pick from our featured cellular phone deals by Cingular, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint PCS, Nextel, and more! Most of our cellular phone offers include a FREE cellular phone with FREE shipping!

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Clarify Loans

LaxGo Web Directory
Powerful human edited web directory of quality, spam-free sites organized via a comprehensive category structure.

Date: August 12, 2007 04:13AM

I have done the fallowing already, at the beginning:

I have added the fallowing:
<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerAdmin Admin@YouHostMe.com
DocumentRoot C:/wamp/users/youhostme.com/public_html
ServerName www.youhostme.com
ServerAlias youhostme.com
ErrorLog C:/wamp/users/youhostme.com/logs/error.log
CustomLog C:/wamp/users/youhostme.com/logs/access.log common
</VirtualHost>

I have edited the fallowing:
NameVirtualHost *:80

Thank You

Date: August 12, 2007 11:56AM

when i ping you i get your correct ip adddress:

C:\>ping youhostme.com

Pinging youhostme.com [65.184.16.227] with 32 bytes of data

Reply from 65.184.16.227: bytes=32 time=3400ms TTL=108
Reply from 65.184.16.227: bytes=32 time=2857ms TTL=108
Reply from 65.184.16.227: bytes=32 time=2753ms TTL=108
Reply from 65.184.16.227: bytes=32 time=2617ms TTL=108

Ping statistics for 65.184.16.227:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 2617ms, Maximum = 3400ms, Average = 2906ms

so, it seems your domain name is pointing correctly to your ip address. what is the exact error message your are getting (including error code) when you try to access your domain?

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Clarify Loans

LaxGo Web Directory

Date: August 12, 2007 04:51PM

It still shows the old page that i had before i updated by name servers.

Thank You

Date: August 12, 2007 08:01PM

I will wait couple more hours and if the domain name will still not work i will re-install Wamp.

Also i have one more questions, it's not regarding the domain name. What is the best software to run Wamp on it. By saying software i mean like Windows Xp, Windows Vista, Linux.

Thank You

Date: August 12, 2007 10:31PM

NowakFilip wrote:

> Also i have one more questions, it's not regarding the domain
> name. What is the best software to run Wamp on it. By saying
> software i mean like Windows Xp, Windows Vista, Linux.
>

windows xp

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Clarify Loans

LaxGo Web Directory

Date: August 12, 2007 10:56PM

Thank You.
What do you think about Linux ? Will it run better than in Windows Xp ?

Also i'm not sure if it supposed to be like that after you have set up a domain name on wamp. But when i go to "[localhost]; i got this message "Forbidden You don't have permission to access / on this server." Does it supposed to show like that ?

Post Edited (08-12-07 22:58)

Thank You

Posted by: yfastud (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: August 13, 2007 02:20AM

I will wait couple more hours and if the domain name will still not work i will re-install Wamp.
It always said that it need from 6 to 72 hrs to propagate, so your domain can work properly, but mine was up and run within less than 3 hrs, so if it take too long for you mean that something is serious wrong w/ your setup, so reinstall wamp will NOT solve the issue.

Also i have one more questions, it's not regarding the domain name. What is the best software to run Wamp on it. By saying software i mean like Windows Xp, Windows Vista, Linux.
On my own opinion, wamp on vista is much better than on xp; I currently have 3 machines, 1 vista business and 2 xp pro, that run 24/7 and vista unit always outperform the other 2. Anyway, don't reply on any one's opinion, even mine, but try it yourself the same time on both os to see the differences. Just my 2 cents.

Have fun,

[www.jlbn.net] (Basic Guide for WAMP)

Date: August 13, 2007 03:22AM

Thank you guys for all the information.
I hope the domain name will work tomorrow morning.

Thank You

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.