Okay Now Email
Posted by: turbov6camaro (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: August 05, 2007 06:00PM

i know a SNMP sever is a bad Idea for a noob but i already have to send all my email with COX anyway cause they block the ports. So all i realy need to is receive

So a few questions

1. how do i set up WAMP to receive and store Email?

2. How do I get to that email once it's stored with outlook?

3. can a test this before i bring my domain over with a dumy domain? like dumbytest.dyndns.org and set up a email addy of test@dumbytest.dyns.org ???

Thanks

Andrew

PS i could not find a writeup on this. if i did it says "coming soon" lol if i can get it working ans I feel i have it down maybe i'll contribute since you have helped me sooooooooo much smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Okay Now Email
Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2007 11:29PM

wamp does not come with an smtp server, you cannot send emails with it.

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Need help? Check out my WAMP User Manual/Guide here!

Cellular Phone Deals - The Best on the Net! - FREE PHONES! Take your pick from our featured cellular phone deals by Cingular, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint PCS, Nextel, and more! Most of our cellular phone offers include a FREE cellular phone with FREE shipping!

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Clarify Loans
Mortgage and Home Loan Advice

LaxGo Web Directory
Powerful human edited web directory of quality, spam-free sites organized via a comprehensive category structure.

Date: August 05, 2007 11:50PM

CyberSpatium wrote:

> wamp does not come with an smtp server, you cannot send emails
> with it.
>
>
>
>
>
>

I said i didn't want to send EMAIL I only want to receive and store email

Posted by: DJ_MELERIX (---.cm.vtr.net)
Date: August 06, 2007 08:03AM

Enable your smtp service in your operating system winking smiley

and you can receive or send emails with wamp winking smiley

Date: August 06, 2007 12:25PM

no, you need an smtp server to send and receive emails with wamp.

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Cellular Phone Deals - The Best on the Net! - FREE PHONES! Take your pick from our featured cellular phone deals by Cingular, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint PCS, Nextel, and more! Most of our cellular phone offers include a FREE cellular phone with FREE shipping!

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Clarify Loans

LaxGo Web Directory
Powerful human edited web directory of quality, spam-free sites organized via a comprehensive category structure.

Date: August 06, 2007 07:08PM

DJ_MELERIX wrote:

> Enable your smtp service in your operating system winking smiley
>
> and you can receive or send emails with wamp winking smiley

is that secure?

i have been looking at mail enable, seem the secuty is alred in place

is that a good choce?

Date: August 06, 2007 08:13PM

i repeat, you cannot send and receive email with wamp, it does not come with an smtp server.

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Clarify Loans

LaxGo Web Directory

Date: August 06, 2007 08:40PM

i know this you told me 10 times

I was assking if mail enable is god one to use?

if not are there any better one that are free and easy for noob to learn?

Posted by: webie (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: August 07, 2007 05:44PM

Well, If you want anything to work at all with email You need an smtp server.
You said you where using cox?

<a href="[support.cox.com]; > cox.net </a>
Go there and pick your area then use the corresponding SMTP server.

If you want you server to send/receive emails you'll have to configure that yourself by making your computer into and SMTP server. Or simply making another email address (i.e. GMail, Hotmail, ect.) and forwarding all the email to your Outlook inbox.

If you are just trying to send/receive emails on your computer you'll have to use something like mail enable, but you will also more than likely have to use an existing SMTP server from your ISP.
Cox Communications blocks port 25 to prevent spammers from using their email servers

You'll have to learn something to make it work the way you want it to.
Hope i've helped.

Date: August 07, 2007 07:06PM

webie wrote:

> Well, If you want anything to work at all with email You need
> an smtp server.
> You said you where using cox?
>
> <a
> href="[support.cox.com];
> > cox.net </a>
> Go there and pick your area then use the corresponding SMTP
> server.
>
> If you want you server to send/receive emails you'll have to
> configure that yourself by making your computer into and SMTP
> server. Or simply making another email address (i.e. GMail,
> Hotmail, ect.) and forwarding all the email to your Outlook
> inbox.
>
> If you are just trying to send/receive emails on your computer
> you'll have to use something like mail enable, but you will
> also more than likely have to use an existing SMTP server from
> your ISP.
> Cox Communications blocks port 25 to prevent spammers from
> using their email servers
>
> You'll have to learn something to make it work the way you want
> it to.
> Hope i've helped.

yeah i already have to use cox's smtp sever to send email. so thats not a big deal

I guess what i want to do is host my own email.

Posted by: webie (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: August 07, 2007 07:19PM

Then you'll have to have your own POP3 or SMTP server. I can't help you much there either.

You'll have to google for most of it. I'd suggest using "How to make my own Email server" or "how do I start my own email hosting server/service"

Anything within that area may help you turn up what you are really looking for.

Date: August 07, 2007 11:22PM

if you know absolutely nothing of internet protocols like pop, smtp, imap, etc. do not host own mail server. a newbie server, if you can get it up and running will be completely insecure. their are millions of spam bots out there troll the internet looking for insecure smtp servers they can use to send their spam from. you could get into some big problems if your isp finds that you are sending spam from your computer. so, unless you know how to secure your mail server dont even think of installing one. and dont think if you read "email servers for dummies' you will know anything about email server security. that is up to experienced system admins.

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Clarify Loans

LaxGo Web Directory

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.