cannot access phpMyadmin
Posted by: cheshire191 (216.217.210.---)
Date: July 29, 2007 05:46PM

i just installed wamp on a windows 2000 machine.

apache, php and mysql all work.

when i goto phpMyadmin i get this message.

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /phpmyadmin/ on this server.

i am running from localhost, not remotely.

I searched the forum and found this problem exists for others but no one has posted a real solution.

this link

[forum.wampserver.com]

explains nothing of this problem.

i have installed wamp on several other machines and this problem did not occur.

any help would be great.

thanks,
chris

-- If Linux isn't the solution, you have the wrong problem --

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cannot access phpMyadmin
Posted by: cheshire191 (216.217.210.---)
Date: July 29, 2007 05:52PM

of course as always, i fixed the problems directly after posting.

at least i fixed it from a 'testing' server standpoint.

not sure this is secure for live sites.

anyway here is my solution.

1. edit alias for phpmyadmin

in this section

<Directory "c:/wamp/phpmyadmin/">
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
    AllowOverride all
        Order Deny,Allow
	Deny from all
	Allow from 127.0.0.1
</Directory>

change the Deny from all entry to Allow from all, like this:

<Directory "c:/wamp/phpmyadmin/">
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
    AllowOverride all
        Order Deny,Allow
	Allow from all
	Allow from 127.0.0.1
</Directory>

you may need to restart the server , i just had to refresh the page and it worked flawlessly.

cheers

chris

-- If Linux isn't the solution, you have the wrong problem --

Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2007 01:42AM

do not use allow from all. this means if your server is in online mode, everyone and their mother will have access to phpmyadmin and your mysql server. if you have sensitive information such a peoples contact info, usernames and passwords, cc numbers, etc you give them access to everything.

change:
Allow from all

to:
Allow from your.ip.address.here

if you need to set the allow to all to get phpmyadmin to work, then you need to make it so people have to login before they can access phpmyadmin. read the phpmyadmin section of my manual (link is in my sig) to learn how to add/set mysql usernames and passwords with phpmyadmin. then set the authentication method in the phpmyadmin config file to 'cookie'.

if you do not know your ip address, www.whatismyip.com

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Need help? Check out my WAMP User Manual/Guide here!

Cellular Phone Deals - The Best on the Net! - FREE PHONES! Take your pick from our featured cellular phone deals by Cingular, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint PCS, Nextel, and more! Most of our cellular phone offers include a FREE cellular phone with FREE shipping!

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Clarify Loans
Mortgage and Home Loan Advice

LaxGo Web Directory
Powerful human edited web directory of quality, spam-free sites organized via a comprehensive category structure.

Posted by: fellowsbs (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2007 06:28PM

I installed WAMP5 on my home server and wanted to be able to use phpmyadmin from anywhere within my LAN, so I added:

Allow from 192.168.1.0/24

You may need to modify that if your subnet has a different network id and mask.

More secure than "Allow from all", more flexible than a single IP (for me, at least, who might switch between my PC, my laptop, or a remote location via VPN).

Hope this helps.

-Brad

Posted by: yfastud (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: August 01, 2007 11:54PM

He he... he he... ;-)

If setup for LAN only, it seems security but then even yourself can't access it from outside. For example, my server is live and hosting for a numerous sites, and of course, not only me but also those sites' owners want to access their databases on my database server, too, so I must come up w/ a setup that my database server can be accessed from any computer at any location in the world, but it also has access limit to certain people only. There are too many ways to achieve this, just pick 1 that's more suitable or feel more comfortable w/

Have fun,

[www.jlbn.net] (Basic Guide for WAMP)

Posted by: fellowsbs (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 02, 2007 12:26AM

Should have been clearer. I was just setting the phpmyadmin alias to be accessible from anywhere within my LAN. OOB it is set to be only accessible from localhost.

Doing some reading on Apache configuration directives might prove useful here for people who are having a tough time configuring phpmyadmin access. Just remember to be careful, you don't want the world to be able to access your phpmyadmin panel.

Posted by: yfastud (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: August 02, 2007 12:33AM

He he... he he... ;-)

Read again, I stated that it can be accessed from anywhere in the world, but only limit to certain people, not the whole world gain access to my db server

Have fun,

[www.jlbn.net] (Basic Guide for WAMP)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.