New to wamp and PHP
Posted by: MercenaryOne (12.119.58.---)
Date: July 27, 2007 08:59PM

I've always wanted to do webpages since I was a kid, I took html classes in high school, and thought that was the coolest. Looking at todays technology I wanted to get back into webdesign. My problem is I dont know much about programming languages. But I do know the basics of HTML.

Anyways the company I work for is providing me Adobe CS3 at a discount price, and I wanna get back into this. My friend recommended WAMP. So last night I downloaded WAMP5 and PHP 5.2.3. Installed them both. Changes the .htaccess to allow all. Created a notepad file and did a simple HTML line, and input the phpinfo() code. When I bring up the localhost it shows the HTML line, but no PHP is visible. I copied the code character for character out of a PHP for dummies book. Any help would be appreciated, as if there are any conf files I will need to edit or what not. WAMP is installed to default to C:\Wamp. Im running Vista ultimate64.

Another question I have is this; how do I go about making it viewable to everyone on the web by accessing my IP address? I have a Dlink Dir625, i went to the port forwarding and put it to my PC's IP on port 80 for tcp and udp(found this out on a website) and i put in my IP, didnt work, so I put in my IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080 and did not work. But I also heard Cox Hghspeed doesnt like people using port 8080, so I switched it to 8181 and it still isnt working? Any thought. Sorry I am completely new at this stuff, but my friend has his setup to do what I want, but hes using XP and I havent been able to get ahold of him cuz hes outta country for next 6mo.

Thx

Matt M.
nevermore6630@hotmail.com

if its easier for you shoot me an email or an IM message thru MSN after 5:30pm MTN time

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New to wamp and PHP
Posted by: yfastud (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 27, 2007 10:34PM

So last night I downloaded WAMP5 and PHP 5.2.3. Installed them both.
You should install only wamp since it's already included Apache, MySQL, and PHP, even some add-on such as phpMyAdmin (GUI for MySQL), SQLite, SQLiteManager (GUI for SQLite), so on

Check my site for setup wamp on Vista, if still confused, email me

Have fun,

[www.jlbn.net] (Basic Guide for WAMP)

Posted by: MercenaryOne (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: July 28, 2007 05:43PM

Okay, couldnt find your email but heres what I got. I got everything setup to the end of the virtual host section on your tutorial. Then I tried to test everything and ignore the password section, but when I try to access it, it says "forbidden, you dont have permission to access / on this server." So on to the password part,I get "Status OK; 0 rows affected" and then the prompt closes. Not sure if thats good or bad. try accessing [local] host:root:mypassword and it says Forbidden again.

I also want to point out, that for some odd reason localhost isnt pointing to C:\wamp\www\users\website1, it points to desktop\mercenary\documents\unnamed site 1. Even tho I changed everything in the virtualhost like in your tutorial.

Posted by: MercenaryOne (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: July 28, 2007 06:10PM

Someone else in another forum recommended Uniform Server, and well I got it up and running in about 2 mins to work correctly, a few lines of editing and that was it. It seems thats going to be the way for me to go, thanks for the help anyways, it was much appreciated.

Posted by: CyberSpatium (71.237.217.---)
Date: July 28, 2007 06:14PM

follow my manual (link is in my sig). just follow the install tutorial and the tutorial for changing the root password for mysql.

then start creating web pages. make sure you put all your webpages in the apache document root folder ( c:\wamp\www ). make sure wamp is running when you try to access your web pages with your web browser. if you have a web page that has any php code in it, the file must change the file from .html to .php.

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Need help? Check out my WAMP User Manual/Guide here!

Cellular Phone Deals - The Best on the Net! - FREE PHONES! Take your pick from our featured cellular phone deals by Cingular, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint PCS, Nextel, and more! Most of our cellular phone offers include a FREE cellular phone with FREE shipping!

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Clarify Loans
Mortgage and Home Loan Advice

LaxGo Web Directory
Powerful human edited web directory of quality, spam-free sites organized via a comprehensive category structure.

Posted by: yfastud (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 29, 2007 03:12AM

Someone else in another forum recommended Uniform Server, and well I got it up and running in about 2 mins to work correctly, a few lines of editing and that was it. It seems thats going to be the way for me to go, thanks for the help anyways, it was much appreciated.
If you use both a little longer, then you would figure out which one is more convenient to have add-on and more personal setup since I've already tried most wamp package out there such as uniform, xamp, easyphp, so on and now still stick w/ this wamp

BTW, it's not hard to guess my email

my username + my domain = my email
yfastud + jlbn dot net = yfastud at jlbn dot net

Have fun,

[www.jlbn.net] (Basic Guide for WAMP)

Post Edited (07-29-07 03:14)

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.