Wamp services wont start
Posted by: dmlocke (---.slc.ifl.net)
Date: July 19, 2007 03:32PM

Hi there,

I have installed wamp5 on my windows laptop. When I go down to the bottom right corner and click on the wamp icon which at this stage is showing a red segment on the half moon icon, and says "none of two services running" - server offline.

I have tried to start all services which changes the colour of the icon to yellow for about 2 seconds and then immediately goes back to red.

Does anybody know why it wont start up?

Regards
Dmlocke

What you practice, you become

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wamp services wont start
Posted by: yfastud (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 19, 2007 04:05PM

When you see the red color, it means your web server does NOT work at all, so head to my site for some tips

Have fun,

[www.jlbn.net] (Basic Guide for WAMP)

Date: July 19, 2007 04:10PM

Thanks I am on your site right now and checking what I need to do.

dmlocke

Date: July 19, 2007 04:19PM

I have looked into your site. I tried going into my windows firewall and added and exception for port 80. I then installed wamp5 and it still does not resolve the issue.

Do you know a way of testing to see if port80 is open on my machine?

Regards
Dmlocke

Date: July 19, 2007 05:11PM

If your os is vista, it's not just firewall but also defender and uac. If not vista, try to temporary disable or uninstall your firewall and test wamp again.

Have fun,

Posted by: CyberSpatium (71.237.217.---)
Date: July 22, 2007 03:38PM

make sure you do not have any other versions of apache and/or mysql installed. if you have more that one they will not work.

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Need help? Check out my WAMP User Manual/Guide here!

Cellular Phone Deals - The Best on the Net! - FREE PHONES! Take your pick from our featured cellular phone deals by Cingular, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint PCS, Nextel, and more! Most of our cellular phone offers include a FREE cellular phone with FREE shipping!

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Clarify Loans
Mortgage and Home Loan Advice

LaxGo Web Directory
Powerful human edited web directory of quality, spam-free sites organized via a comprehensive category structure.

Date: July 23, 2007 05:12PM

Is there a possibility that if you have your Norton Personal Firewall set to "on" that it will stop localhost from loading up? ( when I click on localhost in the icon tray, I get the page cannot be displayed message).
However, I have managed to see the icon in the bottom right hand corner saying: all services running and server online, and I have also tested port 80 and it says: your port 80 is not actually being used.

Therefore I have concluded that It may be the Norton Security that is stoping localhost from loading up. Could this be the cause?

Regards
dmlocke

Date: July 23, 2007 10:35PM

make sure wamp is in offline mode

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Cellular Phone Deals - The Best on the Net! - FREE PHONES! Take your pick from our featured cellular phone deals by Cingular, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint PCS, Nextel, and more! Most of our cellular phone offers include a FREE cellular phone with FREE shipping!

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Clarify Loans

LaxGo Web Directory
Powerful human edited web directory of quality, spam-free sites organized via a comprehensive category structure.

Posted by: easytec (---.brig.cable.ntl.com)
Date: July 24, 2007 03:39PM

This might be due an IP failure on Apache.
After that you need to create a database manually.
But to make your IP address visible:

No need to alarm, but if you are using wireless, set it to your IP address, so when
people navigate to the router via either it's local or external access it goes directly
to your computer, though it is best to use Microsoft Internet Information Services
and buying Windows Server 2008 Codename Longhorn. WAMP Server is not
produced for online procedures and the security is highly low without a
proper server operating system. IIS.NET allows both workstations and
hard drives to act like webservers and webservers to run on the most
favorable (yes a little of French) platform there is.

From earlier I said:
No need to alarm, but if you are using wireless, set it to your IP address, so when
people navigate to the router via either it's local or external access it goes directly
to your computer.
After doing this press the reset button on the wireless router, the wireless router
online localhost settings will no longer be available but, your new IP address
(after reconnecting) will be your new website address.
It's best to run the connection of work as well.

Date: July 25, 2007 11:55AM

Hi There,

I have put the wamp offline as you suggested and tried to run localhost which did not load up. Again I got the page cannot be displayed message.

Regards
dmlocke

Date: July 25, 2007 11:59AM

Hi there,

Thank you for your suggestions. I am going to configure the wamp5 to work with php designer 2007 so would prefer that I get the thing working in the first place before I start creating manual databases. I want to be able to run my php scripts from the localhost icon in phpdesigner 2007.
Also to add that I am not working with wireless technology, just developing sites using a testing server.

Regards
dmlocke

Posted by: raid_scsi (---.louisperry.com)
Date: July 25, 2007 02:11PM

Do you have a manual IP address? What addresses is Apache listening to? The default entries are "ServerName localhost:80" , "Listen 80".

On my server:
ServerName 10.0.0.10:80
Listen 10.0.0.10:80

If your laptop has both wired and wireless, put a manual IP on the wired connection and use it for WAMP, you dont need to have a cable plugged in for local requests to work. And then continue to use the wireless for you regular network connection. I would reccomend completly disabling windows firewall on the wired connection used for WAMP.

Date: July 25, 2007 03:03PM

In the httpd.conf it says:

#Listen 12.34.56.78:80
Listen 80

Do I therefore have to change this IP address to 127.0.0.1 or another IP address?

Regards
dmlocke

Posted by: raid_scsi (---.louisperry.com)
Date: July 25, 2007 03:08PM

No, right now Apache is listening on all available IP addresses on port 80. It should work now. However some Anti-Virus, Firewall and Adware programs don't like this. Try running Apache on a single static IP, with windows firewall disabled on that adapter.

Date: July 25, 2007 03:20PM

Hi, raid_scsi

Thank you very Much. You have helped me solve the problem!!!! smiling smiley

What seems to be the problem is that XP Firewall is off but Norton Security Firewall is still on! So, as a test, I turned it off for five minutes and presto, localhost worked smiling smiley

Thank you so much for your thoughts and time. You get 5 stars from me!

Take care

dmlocke

Date: July 25, 2007 04:22PM

What seems to be the problem is that XP Firewall is off but Norton Security Firewall is still on! So, as a test, I turned it off for five minutes and presto, localhost worked smiling smiley
Instead turn it off, set an exception for HTTP port 80; likewise, FTP port 21, so on.

Have fun,

Date: July 25, 2007 11:49PM

dmlocke wrote:

> What seems to be the problem is that XP Firewall is off but
> Norton Security Firewall is still on! So, as a test, I turned
> it off for five minutes and presto, localhost worked smiling smiley

I have had wamp running flawlessly with norton firewall.

yfastud wrote:

> Instead turn it off, set an exception for HTTP port 80

i could not agree more with yfastud. if you are running a server, you need at least some kind of protection. unfortunately, telling you exactly how to setup norton to allow apache is way to difficult to explain in detail here.

However, here is link to a manual from norton that i have used before to setup apache and norton:
Configuring firewall rules for Web-enabled programs

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Clarify Loans

LaxGo Web Directory

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.