Viewing Localhost from another comupter
Posted by: newseed (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: June 01, 2007 07:47PM

I've installed WAMP5 successfully and it works without a hitch. Is it possible to allow a second computer that is networked together with my computer using a Linksys router to view any web sites that I manage under the 'www' folder?

In detail, I want to be able for the second computer to access any web sites that I have listed on my WAMP server (localhost or www folder) to view as a normal web page. However, I don't want the server live via internet but maybe something like a intranet

Can this be done? If so, how?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Viewing Localhost from another comupter
Posted by: newseed (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: June 01, 2007 08:39PM

I was able to access the web sites from the second local computer by using the IP address.

However, the following may or may not have any relations to WAMP but I have two Joomla installed on my computer. One is Joomla 1.0.12 version and the other is Joomla 1.5 version.

Both version work perfectly on the WAMP server computer. However, the second computer acessing the WAMP server is a different story.

The second computer can access Joomla 1.5 and appears perfectly. It also works perfectly in the Administrative area (back end).

Where I am confused is how the Joomla 1.0.12 appears on the second computer. For some reason, the images, css, etc. file are not attaching thus making the page appear in text only with no kind of formatting. If I click on a link, it will then change the web address from the IP number to 'localhost'.

I am sure it's a Joomla 1.0.12 configuration setup because it uses absolute path while the new Joomla 1.5 seems to be using something else but unsure if it's the 127.0.0.1 that I am seeing there.

If you know anything, I appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Posted by: CyberSpatium (71.237.217.---)
Date: June 02, 2007 12:03AM

you can not use localhost or 127.0.0.1 access another computer because localhost refers to your local computer. when you type localhost in your browser on your computer, you are accessing your local files. if you go to a friends computer and access localhost from his computer you will be access his local files.

to setup wamp to allow connections from the outside world, you need to put wamp in online mode and use your ip address.

to setup your router:
[portforward.com]

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Need help? Check out my WAMP User Manual/Guide here!

Cellular Phone Deals - The Best on the Net! - FREE PHONES! Take your pick from our featured cellular phone deals by Cingular, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint PCS, Nextel, and more! Most of our cellular phone offers include a FREE cellular phone with FREE shipping!

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Posted by: mcvickj (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: June 02, 2007 12:27AM

newseed - I was running into the same problem you are currently having about the broken css, images ,etc. After some searching on the forums I found the fix. Edit your configuration.php file and change

$mosConfig_live_site = 'http://COMPUTER HOST NAME';

COMPUTER HOST NAME from localhost to the host name of the computer where WAMP is installed on.

For example the host name of my computer is pluto. Once I changed localhost to pluto I was able to view my site from my laptop.

-mcvickj

Posted by: CyberSpatium (71.237.217.---)
Date: June 02, 2007 09:45AM

make sure you restart apache after changing the httpd.conf file for the new changes to take effect.

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Need help? Check out my WAMP User Manual/Guide here!

Cellular Phone Deals - The Best on the Net! - FREE PHONES! Take your pick from our featured cellular phone deals by Cingular, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint PCS, Nextel, and more! Most of our cellular phone offers include a FREE cellular phone with FREE shipping!

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Posted by: xmas3 (80.81.229.---)
Date: April 10, 2008 12:42PM

Yes, it helped me also a lot.
Maybe you will be faced with another problem, mysql will be not accessible by another hosts.
Than you can use something like

grant all on database.* to ‘root’@’192.168.1.%’ ;

where database.* means all tables in a database specified,
and 192.168.1.% means all machines with IP like 192.168.1. xxx

M.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.