Change default password post-install
Posted by: Bill Levis (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 12, 2007 01:46PM

The WAMP2 download and install was a breeze -- 20-30 minutes max. Problem free, too. Count me in as a big WAMPS fan.

However, I'm stymied with WAMPS' reco right after installation to "first change MySQL' root default password. You can do it threw PHPmyadmin" (from "How to install"winking smiley. I've been going over \wamp\phpmyadmin\Documentation.html for an hour or more and, so far, haven't found guidance on how to change the password. Any suggestions? [*** LATER --> found the recommended WAMP5 Manual! -- see following messages]

I'm new to PHP/mysql. And, to password management (if there is such a thing).

Post Edited (05-13-07 12:01)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Change default password post-install
Posted by: CyberSpatium (71.237.217.---)
Date: May 12, 2007 03:27PM

read the phpmyadmin section of my manual

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Need help? Check out my WAMP User Manual/Guide here!

Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Web Development for Newbie's Blog

Date: May 12, 2007 04:29PM

I really, really appreciate your response.

Right after I posted my message, I did find your manual and got to:

"phpMyAdmin

Changing Your Root User’s Password

Step 1: To change your root user’s password, we will be using phpMyAdmin to configure your users permissions table. So, make you have both Apache and MySQL up and running. Open your browser and type: [localhost] and you will be taken to the main phpMyAdmin home page."

I've been trying, first, to get beyond "1 of 2 servers running" and second, getting [localhost] to work (I only get a "Proxy Response" blank page?).

I'm not sure what to do next?

Post Edited (05-12-07 16:55)

Date: May 12, 2007 11:52PM

which services is not running... apache or mysql?

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Date: May 13, 2007 11:54AM

Thanks for responding!

Answer: Mysql server is running, Apache is not.

Question: If only the Mysql server is running, can I, if I want to, proceed with 'phpMyAdmin' to change my root User's password and get on with using WAMP to develop and test the INTERNAL aspects of php/Mysql programs?

On my laptop computer, I only need to be able to develop and test php/mysql programs INTERNALLY. The organization that I'm maintaining and enhancing PHP/Mysql programs for has a big IT center that has already implemented the EXTERNAL-server aspects of the beta programs. They are handling all the operatonal aspects. Therefore, it will be a good while before I might need EXTERNAL-server capabilities -- if ever!?

Date: May 13, 2007 08:16PM

phpmyadmin is a web based php script that helps configure your mysql server, so it needs apache and mysql running to work.

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Date: May 14, 2007 02:25AM

Over a month ago, I was assigned a php/Mysql program to maintain and enhance at home on my laptop. So far, I have yet to test one line line of PHPMysql script because of installation and/or start-up problems. I'm at the point where I can't afford to keep trying and not being able to bill for my time. I need a different approach.

Is there someone out there I can PAY to walk me through this?

Bettter yet, if there's someone in the Maryland/Virginia area, I could bring my laptop by their place and watch them do it for the fee.

Any referrals would be welcome.

Bill Levis
qrlevis@aol.com

Date: May 14, 2007 09:14AM

make sure port 80 is not being used by some other program. start wamp -> left click on the wamp tray icon -> apache -> test port 80.

tell me what it says

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

I have put one of my one word domains up for action at ebay - Moistest.com
Click here to see the auction

Date: May 14, 2007 02:43PM

make sure port 80 is not being used by some other program. start wamp -> left click on the wamp tray icon -> apache -> test port 80.

tell me what it says

"Your port 80 is actually used by:

"Server: Apache/2/2/4 <Win32> php/5.2.2"

Other readings:

WAMP icons:
1 - "1 of 2 services running -- server off line"
2 - "Running 1 of 2 Apache services"

Ctrl panel --> admin. tools --> services:
"Apache2......... Apache/2.2.4 (win32)"........... [Status column is blank]
"Mysql....... Mysql............ Running [Status column]"

Date: May 15, 2007 09:34AM

Problem solved.

I had installed a variety of Apache, PHP and MySQL downloads in the weeks before I found Wamp5 resulting in more than one Apache server trying to use port 80.

With an invaluable assist from a Wamp-forum listener that responded to my weekend plea, I've now run my very first PHP test script:

PHP Script: "Test.php"
<html>
<body>
<?php print("Hello"winking smiley; echo "Hello" ?>
</body>
</html>

Result "HelloHello"

Many thanks to the Wamp5 community.
Bill

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.