Accessing dynamic data via localhost
Posted by: Graham Mercer (---.dsl.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: May 05, 2007 11:09AM

Having setup WAMP as my local testing server am I able to access the databases for my various sites on my hosting server, or do I have to duplicate them on my local machine for testing please?
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Graham

Post Edited (05-05-07 16:24)

Give me a break, I'm only a potter!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Accessing dynamic data via localhost
Posted by: sjku (---.net)
Date: May 05, 2007 08:38PM

If your hosting server allows a connection other than "localhost" (with a server IP, or server name), then you can do it. Otherwise you will have to make a copy here on the local machine.
Thanks.

Re: Accessing dynamic data via localhost
Posted by: CyberSpatium (71.237.217.---)
Date: May 05, 2007 11:27PM

you can export your database from your webserver using phpmyadmin, and then import your database using wamps phpmyadmin. there may be some issues if your webhost uses some version of mysql 4.x. wamp uses mysql 5.x and there are some changes that could cause problems. if you have a problem, 99.999999% of the time it is old_password issues. so search this forum for old_password

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Need help? Check out my WAMP User Manual/Guide here!

Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

WebDev Newbie Blog

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.