WAMP5 Working fine, PC Restart next day not working.
Posted by: b0r0b (---.39.33.65.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2007 02:10AM

Ok so, I find WAMP (Thank god, trying to get all of that into one without this is like trying to -insert something extremely difficult here-) I install it, I forward port 6000 on my router, i go into httpd.conf and change the listen from 80 to 6000. Bam, I type in localhost:6000 in my browser and everything works fine. I setup an index, make a layout and im on my way. I register a domain with dotster, and point it to myip:6000/, 7 hours later it works fine. Woot, www.mynewdomain.com routes to myipaddress:6000, I'm as happy as can be.

so i go to bed, leaving my pc on as i do, and the power goes out. No biggie? I wake up the next morning, turn my PC on, the WAMP starts automatically and all services start up fine. I go to make some changes and what not, i type in mydomain.com and nothing comes up..I'm like ok wtf? so then i try the IP:6000 thinking maybe something happened with the newly opened domain, nothing. OK? did my ISP pick up on this and slam my port shut? httpd.conf, change port to 5500, open browser, myipaddress:6000 nothing.

WHAT DA FREAK? it was just working fine lastnight. ok, lets get drastic, uninstall WAMP altogether. Re-install it, go BACK into httpd.conf and change the listen to 6000, go BACK to my routers config and forward 6000 again. phew..voila? it DOESN'T work. CRAP. ding! let's turn on my 2 firewalls and see if maybe its stopping wamp? Zonealarm and Kaspersky both allow WAMP with no issues, as they did the night before. Someone help! when i go to [localhost] it pulls up my index....wtf? How can it pull it up with me having it listen on port 6000? if its not on port 6000, no one from the outside with ym domain (including me) can see the damn thing. It all makes no sense.

I'm fully computer and net literate, but what happened here I cannot explain. It will come up on localhost when I have it listening on 6000 with no port, but it won't come up by typing my IP:6000? I do not have a static IP, but my IP hasn't changed, so thats not it either. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WAMP5 Working fine, PC Restart next day not working.
Posted by: yfastud (72.236.169.---)
Date: January 30, 2007 01:31PM

I'm fully computer and net literate...It will come up on localhost when I have it listening on 6000 with no port, but it won't come up by typing my IP:6000?
As you've already mentioned that you're literate and I'm not that good, but 1 thing I know for sure that when listening on 6000, that 6000 is a port already, so you only need to type the ip w/o port, i.e [your_web_ip]

Even you're very good w/ computer and internet, you might find something you're not familiar w/ in my old post here

[forum.wampserver.com]

Have fun

[www.jlbn.com] (testing web server)
[test.jlbn.com] (testing codes)
[forum.jlbn.com] (testing phpBB2)
[forums.jlbn.com] (testing phpBB3)
[mail.jlbn.com] (testing mailserver)
[ftp.jlbn.com] (testing ftp server)
[www.jlbn.com] (testing flashes)
[www.jlbn.com] (testing images)
[joomla.jlbn.com] (testing Joomla 1.0.10)
[fusion.jlbn.com] (testing phpFusion 6.01.6)
[nuke.jlbn.com] (testing phpNuke 7.9)
[nukep.jlbn.com] (testing phpNuke Platinum 7.6.b.4v2)
[pnuke.jlbn.com] (testing PostNuke 0.800-MS2)
[nukevo.jlbn.com] (testing phpNuke Evolution 2.0.1)

Date: January 30, 2007 10:20PM

Negative. I'm absolutely positive that when you forward a listen port, and you want to view your index from an external PC you have to type [1.2.3.4]. That brings up the page. It was working fine for me, then after a PC restart it just stops working. Theres always room to learn new things, I'm far from saying I know it all, but I do know that it worked through my newly purchased domain and after 1 restart and several WAMP re-installs it just simply will not connect to port 6000 whatsoever. It will pull up localhost, but what does that do for the people that live states away trying to pull up my site? my ISP blocks port 80, that is in-fact half of my problem.

Posted by: yfastud (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 30, 2007 11:37PM

Not sure how you set up your hardware and config files, but do you see any port attach to any sites in my signature?

Have fun

Date: January 31, 2007 04:14AM

Not sure how you set up your hardware and config files, but do you see any port attach to any sites in my signature?

Do you have port 80 enabled? 80 is default, which means it's not necessary to put it there. Take www.jlbn.com and change the port from 80 to any other but 81 and the https. change it to 5000. When you change it, you're going to have to login to your registrar and forward www.jlbn.com to yourserversipaddress:6000/ in order for anyone in the public to see anything. Unless of course there is some sort of code that you do not have to add the port, which still would not help because whether I use myip.com, mydomain.com, myipadress:6000 i still cannot pull up my site. Only way i can pull it up is [localhost]. <~~ no one outside of my network can see that site, which defeats the purpose of having one?

Date: January 31, 2007 04:30AM

Now, I just read through your WHOLE old post, and any other posts from some people regarding any necessary details on what could be wrong here. The post you made showed nothing about the initial install of the WAMP package. It starts at editing the httpd.conf which I did. The thing that bothers me is, I had the server up and running, friends of mine were connected to it, sent me the confirmation # I had on the page for proof, and so on. then I wake up the next day and it just doesn't work? is there a STRANGE possibility that my ISP picked up on the extra activity in the ports and shutdown my port? I doubt it because I changed to 3 different ports (6000, 5000, 5500) and none of them work. On Dotster (my domain name registrar) i forwarded the domain to [myipaddress] and it worked astonishingly too good to be true which has proved obvious now that I cannot even type in myipaddress:6000/ locally to see my own page.

I understand you're not a teacher nor do you have time to hold peoples hands through things, but before you criticize my situation by trying to say that YOUR sites do not have ports after them, take into consideration that you may have port 80 RELEASED, where as my ISP has blocked port 80 to stop people from setting up servers on that port because of the worm they had a while ago. Meaning I had to string up a different port (6000) which worked for all of a few hours.

Date: January 31, 2007 05:21AM

No, I don't mean to criticize your situation or something, but my knowledge is not much and I only know that 3 popular ports use for web are 80, 81, and 8080 which is the one I'm using, and that's why I don't understand why you're using port 6000, just my 2 cents.

About my old post, already stated in there that it's nothing to advanced users but might be in handy for newbie

BTW, ever try this code

ProxyPass /jlbn.com [jlbn.com]
ProxyPassReverse /jlbn.com [jlbn.com]

Have fun

Date: January 31, 2007 05:38AM

Unfortunately, I have just tried THREE other webservers as well as Apache and ALL of them act as if my Dynamic IP address does not exist. say my ip is 65.44.33.22, when i type that in with :6000 at the end, the ad at the bottom of my site and the name at the top come up, but "page cannot be displayed" is what i see. but when i do [localhost] everything is fine. meaning something has to be wrong with my IP address. www.whatismyip.com pulls up my ip and so does my router config page and they are the same and neither of them work in my browser. Something had to have been done through my ISP. I think my next test may be to call and pay the extra for a static IP, then my next step after that is to just say screw it and pay for hosting for the public to see.

Date: January 31, 2007 05:50AM

Are you using php form w/ IE? Or using short_open_tag <? instead full <?php ? By default, short_open_tag is off and these 2 causes the blank page as far as I know. I'm having dynamic ip as well, of course have to use some free dynamic ip updater, whatever can work w/ my dns.

BTW, each time you restart your server, local and/or web ip might change and whatever you forward to doesn't reach your server, but I think you knew everything about this, so I didn't bring it up before. Persoanlly, I set my server to lowest static local ip and use web ip updater to make sure they're always reach each other.

Have fun

Post Edited (01-31-07 14:01)

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.