Not for production...why?
Posted by: evank (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2006 09:34PM

Ive seen it mentioned many times that Wamp5 is not for production use...If you don't mind my asking, why? If it's security concerns, surely its something easy enough to fix through the httpd.conf?

Does anyone know of a good WAMP stack that IS for production use?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Not for production...why?
Posted by: yfastud (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 03, 2006 11:17PM

It's not easy as you thought. People already get mad when they can't get through some simple setup, so what do you think what would happen when it comes to money relation?

There is a lot of good WAMP packages out there; my group and I tried a lot of other diffent wamp packages and the time we stick w/ wampserver is longest, but don't take my words for it; try them each and spend at least 3 months for each, and in those 3 mths, make sure to make everything such as forum, cms, ftp server, mail server, ssl, so on, to work the way you want; then, you can get yourself the comparison results.

Have fun.

Date: December 03, 2006 11:35PM

ok, but i still dont know *why* its not suitable for production use?

Date: December 03, 2006 11:39PM

The anser is who takes responsibilty for people's lost?

Date: December 04, 2006 12:26AM

you misunderstand me. what i'm asking is specifically what about WAMP5 makes it unsuitable for prduction use? is it unstable? does it have security issues? or is it more or less as suitable as any other wamp stack

Date: December 04, 2006 01:55AM

I'm not the founder/creator of wampserver so I'm not really sure about that. All I can guess is all specifications you listed is not quite hard for skilled programmers/admnistrators to configure, but they make this package free for use and don't want to claim for people's lost.

Besides, in order to make it for production use, it should have more stuff while, I guess, wampserver just simple to put all apache, mysql, and php together and easy to install in windows instead you have to go through all suffer to install and configure them all one by one, so I can say it might be less of everything such as features, security, so on...

Date: December 04, 2006 06:23PM

this isnt meant to be rude, so sorry if it sounds that way, but if you dont know the answer to my question, then *dont reply to the thread*.

what i mean is, all legal aspects aside, im asking specifically which TECHNICAL aspects of the WAMP5 package make it unsuitable for production use. yfastud cant answer it, but perhaps someone else can?

i certainly cant be the first person to ask this, and certainly will not be the last, so perhaps an answer could be put in the FAQ?

Posted by: yfastud (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 04, 2006 11:14PM

this isnt meant to be rude, so sorry if it sounds that way

Nobody really wants it that way, so keep patient to check back here very often until you get the answer the way you want, I mean EXACTLY the way you want.

Good luck

Posted by: Mark Jones (---.buckeyecom.net)
Date: December 05, 2006 05:35AM

Evank... I'm just a (new) user of WAMP but wanted to say, what happens when you reboot your box? Yep, no more website. Who is going to be there to make sure it comes back up properly? What if you are on vacation for a week and it goes down on the first day? What if you are playing CounterStrike and 400 people try to hit your page at once? Home computers are far too unreliable and vulnerable to host a website. Kids get on them and load them full of malware and viruses. CPU fans die and processors overheat. Only a fraction of home users have any type of RAID mirroring array, and even less perform regular backups of all data, let alone something as complex as a webserver. I'm not saying any of these apply to you; but they definitely apply to many other people.

Commercial hosts do all of this for you, plus they take all liability.

In my humble opinion, that's why WAMP5 is deemed a "dev" tool and not a "production" tool. It will run on popular OSes, it's a great tool to develop your website (what it is intended to do) but it's not the ideal serving solution.

Regards,
Mark

p.s. I believe yfastud's native language is not English. Please be kind to him, he's volunteered lots of help to many others here.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.