how to create MySQL shortcut on desktop?
Posted by: sarmenhb (69.111.182.---)
Date: November 17, 2006 07:36PM

hi, i went to C:\wamp\mysql\bin and created a shortcut of mysql.exe and placed it on my taskbar, but when i try to access it. the program beeps and then exits. if there another way i'm supposed to do this?

thanks
SarmenHB

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how to create MySQL shortcut on desktop?
Posted by: CyberSpatium (71.237.217.---)
Date: November 18, 2006 01:31AM

place a shortcut to the startwamp exe file and you can start stop apache and mysql manually using wamp tray icon.

CyberSpatium
WAMP English Forum Admin

Posted by: sarmenhb (69.111.182.---)
Date: November 18, 2006 09:05AM

hi, i always like wamp running, but the reason i wanted to create that shortcut is so i can have a fast shortcut to the mysql console instead of going through the wamps menu.

is there a way?

thanks

Posted by: sizzzzlerz (12.191.193.---)
Date: November 20, 2006 04:04PM

On your desktop, right mouse and select New->Shortcut

A Create Shortcut dialog should appear. In it, browse to the location of the mysql.exe binary file. In my case, its C:\wamp\mysql\bin\mysql.exe. Click next and edit the shortcut name, if desired. Click Finish.

Now, right mouse on the newly created shortcut and select Properties. In the Target field, click at the beginning of the string. Type the following:

%SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe /K

Note there is a space after the /K.

Move to the end of the string (after the mysql.exe) and type

-u <username> -p

Replace <username> with the username you wish to login under. Click OK to close the properties dialog.

Now you should be able to double click the shortcut and a cmd window will open with a prompt to enter the password for the account.

For example, the enter string in my case is

%SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe /K C:\wamp\mysql\bin\mysql.exe -u root -p

If you want, you can append your password immediately after the -p (e.g., no space between -p and the password) but this present a security problem so I wouldn't recommend doing it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.