Problems installing wamp5
Posted by: toreddie (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 23, 2006 04:46PM

I am a brand new WAMP user. I've downloaded and tried to install WAMP5 but struggling to get mySQL, php and Apache installed properly. When this is working properly I plan to use it in conjunction with Xoops. I asked the questions below on the Xoops forum, but they referred me to this forum.

It's been over a week since I started this process. I hope someone is able to assist quickly.

1) When attempting to set up WAMP5 I get the following message when clicking on "Local Host" in the WAMP5 menu in the system tray icon: "HTTP 404 Not Found - The webpage cannot be found".

During set-up I followed the instruction and used "local host" instead of the ISP. I didn't think I needed anything else because I'm only setting up a development server on my own desktop computer.

2) I've created a new folder called "xoops" instide the "WWW" folder in the "c:\wamp" folder.

3) When I try to click on "local host" to see a project called "xoops", I get the same message as in item 1) above.

4)The next step in setting up WAMP5 is to create a database. When clicking on the "PHP my admin" in the WAMP5 menu I get the same result as in 1) and 3) above.

What have I done wrong? How can I change settings to "get back on track" and finish setting up WAMP5 before I start installing Xoops?

Any quick help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Tor-Eddie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Problems installing wamp5
Posted by: CyberSpatium (71.237.217.---)
Date: October 23, 2006 05:12PM

Q.) When attempting to set up WAMP5 I get the following message when clicking on "Local Host" in the WAMP5 menu in the system tray icon: "HTTP 404 Not Found - The webpage cannot be found".
A.) this means there is no webpage for apache to display. so, you need to put your website files here for apace to access them. put all your website files (html, php, css, images, etc) in your c:\wamp\www folder.

Q.) I've created a new folder called "xoops" inside the "WWW" folder in the "c:\wamp" folder.
A.) ok, then to access this location in your web browser, use :[localhost]

Q.) When I try to click on "local host" to see a project called "xoops", I get the same message as in item 1) above.
A.) see my answer above

Q.) The next step in setting up WAMP5 is to create a database. When clicking on the "PHP my admin" in the WAMP5 menu I get the same result as in 1) and 3) above.
A.) make sure mysql is running, since phpmyadmin is used to admin/manage your mysql server.

if you cannot get this working here is the easy solution. first uninstall wamp. then go to the wamp folder (c:\wamp) and delete it. restart your computer. now install wamp again. after you have installed wamp, start apache. now put your Xoops script files in c:\wamp\www folder. now open up phpmyadmin (http://localhost/phpmyadmin). create a new database called "xoops" (without the quotes).

now follow all the install intstructions for Xoops. when it asks for your mysql server info use:
hose: localhost
username: root
password: (the root user does not have a password set, so leave this bank)
database: xoops

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.