install wamp for 1 windows user only
Posted by: smiletastic (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 20, 2006 07:15AM

Hi, I have just installed WAMP on my Windows XP machine. However, my computer is a family computer, and everyone in the family has their own account on the computer. My account is the administrator account. I want my WAMP installation and all applications that I run on it only to be accessible to ME, to MY account. So I installed it in the "My Documents" folder, which my family members can't access. However, when I switched to their accounts on XP and typed in "[localhost"];, they have access to the server! I don't want my family members to be able to access this stuff. How can I make it so that only my user account can access the [localhost]?

I hope this is coherrent. If not, let me know and I will try to explain it better! Thanks in advance for any help you can give me, I'm so excited about this!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: install wamp for 1 windows user only
Posted by: yfastud (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 20, 2006 04:29PM

Not sure if any other people have a better idea than mine, but first thing first, what do you think about the word SERVER?

For the same situation, I've got myself about 6 mths ago a complete Cisnet system includes cpu, 17' monitor and printer for $200 AR, then get rid of monitor and printer to bring final cost down to $120 which is not bad for cpu includes 3.06GHz Celeron, 512MB RAM, 120GB HD, 8x DVD Burner. Then spent $10 for kvm switch to manage 2 desktops on 1 lcd monitor / tv. Check it out here, the one on the left:

[test.jlbn.com]

Hope someone else might give you a better advice.

Good luck

Re: install wamp for 1 windows user only
Posted by: CyberSpatium (71.237.217.---)
Date: October 20, 2006 08:26PM

the easiest way to do this without a causing a huge headache is to not use apache as a service. if it is a service, then every time you start windows, apache will start/run automatically. if you disable apache as a service, you can easily start apache manually when you want to use it.

This way when anyone else is using the computer and tries to access localhost, it will not work.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.