Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
problems getting started with WAMP
Posted by: digitaldissection (---.cable.ubr10.live.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: October 17, 2006 07:23PM

Hello all!

I have a site to build, for which I need to test the PHP before it goes live. I have installed WAMP, and it says 'All Services Running', which is a good sign. I am a Dreamwever user, and so all my sites are currently sitting in a 'sites-local' folder. Im just not sure what to do next....

Do I need to copy/move them, and if so where to? Do I need to change the browser that I preview pages in Dreamweaver, and again, if so, to what configuration? I know this is pretty basic stuff, but Ive hit a wall, and need to get through the wall asap!

Anyone have a bulldozer? Or better yet, can anyone give me instructions.

Greatly appreciated, glad to be part of this forum.

bang bang beep bang

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: problems getting started with WAMP
Posted by: yfastud (72.236.169.---)
Date: October 17, 2006 08:05PM

Copy all your files to wamp/www/your_folder and access them as follows:

[localhost]

About Dreamwearver, search this forum for Dreamwearver and cyberspatium, will get cyberspatium's very good tutor about it.

Hope this help

Date: October 17, 2006 08:28PM

Thanks for the info.

Do I have to manually type in the address for my files, because, obviously, a lot of them are pretty complicated. Is there not a quick launch option?

Also, I managed to launch the page (thanks for that) but when you I clicked on a button in the Flash Movie on the opening page, a button linked to a PHP page I think, I got an error ;

Forbidden
You dont have permission to access this file on this server

Any idea what that might be about?

Thanks in advance!

bang bang beep bang

Posted by: yfastud (72.236.169.---)
Date: October 17, 2006 11:08PM

Just type in the first one, i.e index.html or so.

For example:

[test.jlbn.com]
[mail.jlbn.com]
[forum.jlbn.com]
[ftp.jlbn.com]

BTW, did you follows the second suggestion? Since I don't use dreamweaver, I can't help you with that.

Hope this help

Edit: Also check this post

[forum.wampserver.com]

Post Edited (10-18-06 04:38)

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: October 18, 2006 10:28PM

Thanks again for your help. I've gone through and sorted the password, and am starting to feel a bit more comfortable about the whole system.

However, Im still getting the -

Forbidden
You dont have permisssion....

- error message.

Its strange, because the first page of my site opens fine, but then when i click a button I get this message. Could it be anything to do with it being a Flash file Im clicking, though I dont see how.

Appreciate your help

bang bang beep bang

Posted by: yfastud (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 19, 2006 12:16AM

Not sure while you get the problem with flash file, check my test flash here:

[test.jlbn.com]

My suggestion is check the code and also track the link to the directory to see if having permission file such as .htaccess in there.

Sorry if I'm wrong because I'm a newbie, too, maybe just a little here longer than you.

BTW, I just updated my post, check it out:

[forum.wampserver.com]

Hope this help

Date: October 21, 2006 05:09PM

Thanks for the info. I think you're on the right track mentioning .htaccess - I have the error message;
"Server Requirement Error: register_globals is disabled in your PHP configuration. This can be enabled in your php.ini configuration file or in the .htaccess file in your catalog directory."
I have tried editing the php.ini file to turn register_globals to 'On' , but that didnt work, I also read that doing this can pose security risks, so I changed it back to 'Off'

How can I access and modify .htaccess files? I cant understand them! Ahh!! For a newbie, youre very helpful smiling smiley

Thanks

bang bang beep bang

Date: October 21, 2006 05:18PM

ps. when I do change register_globals to 'On' and restart, I get this message

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Unknown MySQL server host 'db213.1and1.fr' (11001) in C:\wamp\www\DEAD RABBIT\wsb4065777401\catalogue\includes\functions\database.php on line 19
Unable to connect to database server!

...maybe that gives you more info. Hope you can help.

Thanks!

bang bang beep bang

Posted by: yfastud (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 21, 2006 06:33PM

First thing first, did you ever enable php_mysql? If not, 2 ways to do it, use either one:

1. Through tray icon, go to PHP Settings/PHP Extensions and enable it, visualized by the arrow in the front.

2. Open php.ini in /wamp/php, then find and remove semi-colon in this line:

;extension=php_mysql.dll

Remember to restart apache to take effect.

Secondly, did you register the corect server while install that application, since it fails to reconizes the server?

Third, did you create a database as well as username and password for this particular app before install it?

If I'm missing something, I will tell you more later, but for now check these things first.

Hope this help.

BTW, glad that you're appreciated my help even not really help. Use wampserver about a yr or so, but on and off, so not much more than a newbie, just try to help anyone having the same problem that I've been through ;-)

Post Edited (10-21-06 18:54)

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: October 21, 2006 06:47PM

Firstly, php_mysql is definitely enabled.

Secondly, the correct server - I assume this is the localhost address, which is correct. If not, Im not sure what this means!

Thirdly, I didnt create the database, I dont know how to do this, the site I have to work on was created by someone else, Ive just been asked to edit it. This perhap could be the problem, but Im not sure how to deal with databases, can I modify the one set up easily enough if need be?

Many thanks again

bang bang beep bang

Date: October 21, 2006 07:14PM

OK, look at your error: it can't connect to the database server, and the problem is it looks for "db213.1and1.fr", not "localhost" as you thought, so either you have to create a similar one in your system or edit the code so it connect to the real server remotely. The second way is much harder since you seem not to know much about that server.

To create a database as well as username and password, open phpmyadmin through tray icon, it's GUI so quite easy to use. To create database, click database; to create usename and password, click privileges. If your app doesn't create tables for you, just create them through phpmyadmin, very easy; or else, create the php code to insert table as well as data for testing if you like. When you use phpmyadmin, then you see it's very easy. Since I'm a very lumsy programmer so I mostly like to play with GUI ;-)

Hope this help

Post Edited (10-21-06 19:16)

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: hockey97 (---.col.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 22, 2006 03:40AM

Hi I have problems getting my wamp server public, how do I get my html website up and running on the web, the icon on the bottom that represent the server say's all services are running and are online,

however on my computer I could put in localhost or 127.0.0.1 and get the server and through the server I can click on my website which works, but I went to my friend's computer and tried it and it dosen't work it sometiems say's no page found and sometiems it take me to msn search or google showing search results of localhost.

I want to also work with a DNS server, I have a router linkysystem.

I reall need some help on getting my server public and also to get it set that it has it's own domain.

I also have a question I want to also host a online game could wamp5 do this? like I want to host an exe file game server somthing like starcraft online mode , something in that order.I have been working on wamp for almost 2 month's, I also want to know what freeware software of a mail server is good?? becuse I want to host my own e-mail service, so I can have multiple acconts meaning that I can provide people with e-mail service.

Thanks for your time.

Posted by: CyberSpatium (71.237.217.---)
Date: October 22, 2006 08:11AM

you dont need a domain or dns server, use your ip address. you need to put your server in online mode. when you access localhost of your friends computer, you are just accessing his local computer not yours. use [your.ip.address.here]

Date: October 22, 2006 04:08PM

I see thanks. I put my ip adress and it works I can get on it online.

but I want to make the ip adress a domain.

I have downloaded many dns servers.

I have trouble on getting my domain up and running.

I don't want to spend money on buying a domain or anything like that

I really want a full commercial looking server that I have control of my own websites and
also of my domain names.

I have 4 calorie DNS server which I downloaded from softpedia.com it say's it's freeware.

I also want to get a mail server running too.

I really want to offer like professional services meaning like give people to have e-mail accounts and also I can host my websie with it's own domain name like www.somthing.com , I also plan on hosting online games services like I make computer games and I need to host certain files online to make people who downloaded my game to be able to play online with other people that has my game too.

also the website is now public but when I put just my ip adress it take's me to my server and that is what happens also on other computers the conif setting tool Is forbitten on other computer's which is good I want that like that, but the info about the server can be seen my anyone I don't like that idea becuse it gives out my computer name which I know for fact that in cmd you can do a remote shutdown just by knowning the name of the computer, so it's a security threat. How could I get the info portain block so that other computers can't view it??

and also to get in my server their is no password or anything, the only thing that get's blocked is the tools used to config the server.

Thanks for your time.

Post Edited (10-22-06 16:29)

Date: October 22, 2006 04:50PM

I bought my domain for only $15 for 5 yrs, so it's $3/yr. I think it's cheap already, but right now they have it on sale for $2/yr, You should get it while you can.

BTW, check my post here:

[forum.wampserver.com]

Hope this help

Date: October 23, 2006 04:09AM

I read that fourm thing it was somewhat infomative.

I really want to host my own DNS server, I want to have control on exery aspect of a server.

and I want to have my own e-mail server so I can give a e-mail service to people.

How do I get my server public like I mean seen or able to be accessed over the world wide web?? I read in that link somthing about it and I done with it said and yet I can't get my server accessed from outside.

my other computer downstair's could access my server using the ip of my computer that has the server.

Thanks for your time.

Posted by: yfastud (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 23, 2006 05:17AM

How did you access it from outside?

Date: October 23, 2006 04:48PM

there is no reason at all at to install a dns server. you do not have your own domain name so it would be absolutely pointless. also, you will need your own nameservers, and since you dont have a domain, that is impossible.

and installing an smtp (email) server on your wamp server is one of the most idiotic ideas ever. the internet is flooded by spam-bots that are looking for insecure mail servers like you would have if you installed an email sever. once a bot has found your insecure smtp server they will use it to send out millions of spam a day. you wont even be able to access your server because all your bandwidth is being used to send spam. also, your isp will be on you in no time because all these millions of smtp emails being sent are all being sent from your computer, not the spammers. so you will take the fall guy, not the spammer.

there are a few ways to use email in your php scripts without having to use an smtp server, and are a way more secure way to go.

use an open source php framework called phpMailer. this this framework you can use your isp's mail servers instead of having to use your own.
[phpmailer.sourceforge.net]

here is an example of how to use your isp's smtp server:

require("class.phpmailer.php"winking smiley;

$mail = new PHPMailer();

$mail->IsSMTP(); // send via SMTP
$mail->Host = "smtp.myisp.com"; // SMTP servers
$mail->SMTPAuth = true; // turn on SMTP authentication
$mail->Username = "jswan"; // SMTP username
$mail->Password = "secret"; // SMTP password

Date: October 23, 2006 05:56PM

in response to yfastuds comment; ----

OK, look at your error: it can't connect to the database server, and the problem is it looks for "db213.1and1.fr", not "localhost" as you thought, so either you have to create a similar one in your system or edit the code so it connect to the real server remotely. The second way is much harder since you seem not to know much about that server.

----

Ive been playing around, and it seems easy enough to create a database,, Im not sure of the relevence of this though. Should I create one called 'db213.1and1.fr' ?! And once created, what should I put in it?

I know eventually it will all suddenly become clear, but I need to sort this soon and my brain is being slow...

I should clarify, this message;---

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Unknown MySQL server host 'db213.1and1.fr' (11001) in C:\wamp\www\DEAD RABBIT\wsb4065777401\catalogue\includes\functions\database.php on line 19
Unable to connect to database server!

---comes up when I try and preview a php script in Dreamweaver, while;

Forbidden
You dont have permisssion....

---- is the error message I get when i open my index.html in localhost and click to go to the second page

Im sure Im not being to helpful, but I am new to this, excuse my stupidity smiling smiley

bang bang beep bang

Date: October 23, 2006 06:16PM

digitaldissection, there are some restrictions on the characters that you can use for database and table names

> mysql database, table, and column names should not end with space characters.

> mysql database names cannot contain ‘/’, ‘\’, ‘.’, or characters that are not allowed in a directory name.

> mysql table names cannot contain ‘/’, ‘\’, ‘.’, or characters that are not allowed in a filename.

your database names must start with a letter, and then can only contain letters, numbers, and the underscore character (_). the best way to name databases in my opion is just to use one word, such as inventory, schedule, or payroll that simply states what type of data the database contains.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.