Getting started - newb needs help
Posted by: booleanjulian (---.static.bnsi.net)
Date: August 31, 2006 08:57PM

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this and have not yet been able to get people to access my website from anywhere.

Some background info: I am connected through a router. I do NOT have a domain name (like [www.mywebsite.com]). I thought, and am hoping, I could set up a server so that anyone on the internet could type in something like [68.260.236.453] or whatever - something corresponding to []###.###.###.### where the numbers represent my IP address.

Is this possible? What programs do I need to get this running? What programs do I need to get this to work with my router?

Thanks for any help,
julian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Getting started - newb needs help
Posted by: ilovenicotine (---.crlsca.adelphia.net)
Date: August 31, 2006 09:28PM

first of all, if you have cable internet, your ip address will change every couple of days so hosting a webserver from home is usually not very practical. i would look around for cheap hosting. i recently bought 2 domains and got a year of hosting for $9.95 as a promotion. if you look around you could have your own domain name like booleanjulian.com for pretty cheap!

Posted by: booleanjulian (---.static.bnsi.net)
Date: August 31, 2006 11:41PM

I thought it was possible with some kind of dynamic ip address handling program

Posted by: yfastud (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 01, 2006 12:12AM

Agree w/ ilovenicotine; however, in the mean time, you can setup as follows:

If using XP SP2, disable Windows Firewall.
If using 3-party Firewall (ie. Norton, McAfee), enable port 80.
If using router, enable portforward port 80 to unit that has wampserver installed.
Through wampserver tray icon, put your server in online mode.
Check your ip through [wheresmyip.com], and send that ip to your friend; then, they can see your web pages. To be exact, the web page will show up like this:

In your machine:
[localhost]

In your friends' machine:
[your_ip_address]

In your machine:
[localhost]

In your friends' machine:
[your_ip_address]

You can use free dynamic ip services, but better go w/ domain and free dns services and setup Virtual Host, then no matter how often your ip changes, anyone can still access your sites through your domain name, like mine:

[www.jlbn.com]

And from there, you can setup and test some other things such as ftp server, mail server, forums, so on.

[ftp.jlbn.com]
[mail.jlbn.com]
[forum.jlbn.com]

Keep an eye on Yahoo! Small bussiness which often have Domain on sale for $3/year and up to 5 years, like my domain cost me only $15 for 5 years. Or else, get the free domain through [www.dot.tk]. The different is you in total control with your own domain bought from Yahoo! Small Bussiness and have to accept some restriction if get it through dot.tk.

Hope this help.

Post Edited (09-01-06 00:13)

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.