Sending emails using wamp
Posted by: Ambitious (---.qualitynet.net)
Date: August 23, 2006 03:07AM

Hi every body. I am just wondering if it is possible to send emails with the php function
mail() using the wamp5 localhost to my hotmail account , for example ?!

If I can , what are the php ini settings that I should use and should I put my server online to be able to send emails ?!

Any help is really appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sending emails using wamp
Posted by: Andy (---.cable.ubr11.azte.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: August 23, 2006 04:29AM

Hi Ambitious,

I've used WAMP for sending emails many times in the past.

The easiest way to do it is to configure your WAMP server with the details of your SMTP server. You'll find these in the PHP.INI file. Just open it and search for the word MAIL.

The SMTP server needs to be reachable from the server you are using and I'd suggest filling out the sender email address etc. (These can be overridden when calling the mail() function in PHP but will ensure that if you forget, a sender email address is still sent).

N.B. The SMTP server I use handles all our email and is configured such that internal email doesn't require authentication. If you need to use a username and password to log into you SMTP server then have a read of the PHP documentation as I'm sure it's possible, I've just never had a need to.

Anyway, hope it helps.

All the best,

Andy.

Posted by: Ambitious (62.150.144.---)
Date: August 24, 2006 12:02AM

Hi Andy. Thank you so much for your help. Actually your reply gave me the hope that it is possible to send emails from wamp server but I was not able to do so using my free hotmail,yahoo. and gmail accounts. However, I did it after instaling the free trial of this program:

[www.emailarms.com]

It works as a local smtp server allowing me to send emails from port 25 and localhost .

I am now learning how to send html emails and other emailing issues. Your help saved me lots of time so thanks again!

Posted by: Andy (---.cable.ubr11.azte.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: August 24, 2006 01:50AM

Hi Ambitious,

Glad it was of some help.

The mail() function is designed to send mails usuing SMTP so it won't work with services such as hotmail, yahoo or gmail. You'd need to use an SMTP server running on your machine, or use your ISP's or company's (if internal use) for sending.

As for HTML emails, when calling the mail() function just pass it back HTML (fully formatted) at it will send an HTML email.

Good luck with it anyway.

Andy.

P.S. there are many free SMTP/POP3 servers you can get rather than using a time limited one so have a search.

Posted by: CyberSpatium (67.170.181.---)
Date: August 24, 2006 09:49PM

hey Ambitious, here is a killer php class I use when I need to use email in my script. It is prety much has every feature you could ever need including support for html emails.

[phpmailer.sourceforge.net]

Posted by: puffastogie (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: August 29, 2006 11:30PM

hi, how can i use the php class phpmailer to send mails with my message board ? is that possible? i am lost as how to set up the mail part of my quicksilver forum...

Posted by: robo091167 (---.bc.hsia.telus.net)
Date: September 01, 2006 06:04PM

Hi Guys,

I found this free and very simply SMTP server application: [www.softstack.com]

Works like a charm!

Posted by: yfastud (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 02, 2006 12:19AM

I personally like mail server which includes smtp, imap and pop3, and of course web mail, too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.