php4 add-on
Posted by: hansb (---.speed.planet.nl)
Date: August 14, 2006 06:22PM

I installed the latest version of WAMP5 and the PHP4 add-on. Also I installed Joomla 1.0.10

It all worked fine and I started to create a new site.

Because my hostingprovider only supports PHP4 I switched to PHP4 after a while to check wether the site functions under PHP4.

But then nothing worked anymore. The Wamp homepage displays instead of the MySQL version number the following line: MySQl not launched or bad phpMyAdmin config. PhpMyAdmin and SQLite manager will not load and Joomla can't connect to its database.

Again: with PHP5 all is well but with PHP4 nothing functions. It seems that there is no connection with MySQL.

Can anyone tell me what goes wrong or what I do wrong.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: php4 add-on
Posted by: CyberSpatium (67.170.181.---)
Date: August 14, 2006 07:21PM

OLD_PASSWORDS

[dev.mysql.com]

Date: August 14, 2006 10:03PM

CyberSpatium,

I followed the instructions and set the password I used before as an 'old password'.

Now the Wamp homepage shows a connection to MySql. Also I can use phpMyAdmin.

But I still can't use SQLitemanager (that's no problem since I don't use that anyway) but Joomla still can't connect to the database. The password I used hasn't changed so that should be no problem I guess but maybe I am wrong.

Date: August 15, 2006 07:57AM

CyberSpatium,

I figured it out.

I realized that I should follow the steps described for all the users I created and not just for the 'root'-user of MySql. After I did that my Joomla website could connect to its database under PHP4 and PHP5.

Thanks for your help

Date: August 15, 2006 09:07AM

no problem, glad it worked.

Date: August 15, 2006 11:01AM

SOLVED

Posted by: yfastud (72.236.169.---)
Date: August 16, 2006 03:37PM

Hi hansb,
I hope you don't mind if I have a question about Joomla.
What should I do to setup a subdomain for an user and what permission should I grant to that user so (s)he can totally change the design and content of the front/index page?
Thanks a million.

Date: August 16, 2006 03:50PM

yfastud,

I am new myself at Joomla. My new site will be the first using Joomla.

So I can't give a definitive answer to your question. I know that in the administrator panel of Joomla there is a user manager. I guess that this is the place where you create users and grant permissions. See the Joomla website and it's forum for more answers (http://www.joomla.org).

I hope you find the right answers there.

Date: August 16, 2006 04:03PM

he he... never mind
I found some tutors already, but still a little lost, that's why I hope to get a good answer from you. Anyway, if found something interesting, will let you know.

Posted by: isural (193.140.129.---)
Date: August 16, 2006 05:08PM

Hi yfastu,

To give user acces in joomla you can buy a component or do this by hacking joomla.

JBAM2 Access Maneger Component
[jbam.joomlasolutions.com]

By hacking check this

[www.webpr.gr]

Date: August 16, 2006 06:19PM

to make subdomains yfastud login to your dynamic dns service, and add an A record to tie your subdomain to our ip address

subdomain.yourdomain.com A your.ip.address.here

then add that new subdomain to your virtual hosts settings in your httpd.conf

Posted by: yfastud (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: August 18, 2006 12:48AM

To CyberSpatium, I've already setup subdomains in dns and vh, and they work fine. Just want to practice on Joomla/Mambo, and wonder how to setup so when the user login from my Joomla/Mambo main page will be automatically re-directed to their assigned subdomain, so they can change the design and content of frontend as they desire. To be exact, user1 will re-direct to user1.mydomain.com, and user2 will be user2.mydomain.com, and so on.

To isural, thanks for the tip. Will check it out. If you have any idea about what I stated above, please, let me know. Thanks in advance.

PS, Actually I'm looking for a free websitebuilder for server. I mean a sitecreator that installed on my server so that my friends can use it to create the web pages for their subdomain. Please, let me know if you know a good one or how to do it.

Date: August 18, 2006 08:39AM

There are tons of freeware and opensource web based website builders. search freshmeat.net,sourceforge.net and/or hotscripts.com

Date: August 18, 2006 03:14PM

Yes, I know there a lot of free sitebuilders out there but mostly for client side; however, I want the one for server side, so if you know one, please, let me know, even the one for client side but I can integrate it on my server. Thanks a million.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.