help me please i'm freakin out
Posted by: Vancey (---.home.cgocable.net)
Date: August 08, 2006 06:10AM

i have installed and uninstalled wamp about 10 times already today..
i can't seem to get it to work
i downloaded the newest wamp, and the add-ons.. i'm watchin a php video to learn it thru lynda.com and i can't get my server to run..
when i type
[localhost] in my browser after i set up wamp it comes up and says ad removed by tweak xp.. same thing when i try to open the phpadmin and mysql from the menu on the actual program in the system tray.
the apache service won't work says my port is being used i've tried going into that notepad config and changing the port to 8080 and it still won't work
i'm ready to give up someone please help me i'm a total newbie..
i've been reading the forums all day and can't seem to find a solution to my problem..
do i need to uninstall my tweak xp pro program so that the server will display or what? i have no idea

i read on another post that the wamp homepage won't show unless apache is workin.. well my apache isn't workin so maybe step one is to get that going?
it's giving me a port 80 error and i tried to switch the port in the notepad config but it didn't appear to do anything.. HELP!!!!

Post Edited (08-08-06 09:07)

be patient with newbs.. u were once a newb too tongue sticking out smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: help me please i'm freakin out
Posted by: CyberSpatium (67.170.181.---)
Date: August 08, 2006 09:25AM

do you have windows xp pro, 2000, or 2003? if so, they have IIS which is microsofts webserver. if it is running, it uses the same port as apache. it that port is being used by IIS or any other program, apache will not start.

Date: August 08, 2006 09:43AM

i have windows xp pro
i don't know if it is runnin IIS.. how can i disable it or get rid of it so that apache will work. i'm pretty much a huge newb so bare with me here
it said somethin about it might be skype.. but i don't have that

Date: August 08, 2006 10:13AM

i checked my IIS.. it's not even installed on my system
here is a screenshot of what happens when i click on install apache
[stage.helpmusicband.ca]

someone please help

Post Edited (08-08-06 10:44)

Posted by: dval (---.chrcitadelle.be)
Date: August 08, 2006 01:04PM

Pour connaître qui utilise le port 80 utiliser la commande NETSTAT -ano ensuite rapprocher le N° de processus de celui donné par le gestionnaire de tâches.

To know which uses port 80 to use order NETSTAT - ano then to bring closer N° process of that given by the manager of tasks.

Date: August 08, 2006 04:26PM

I don’t know why, but the developers of Skype decided to use port 80 for their program, even though 80 is the default port for httpd. there are quite a few other free ports they could have used though. however, if skype is running, since it uses port 80, it will cause apache to not start. make sure skype is not running before you try to install wamp and start apache.

after you install apache you can change the port apache listens to port 81 and you will no longer have problems with skype.

open httpd.conf file, find:
Listen 80

change it to
Listen 81

save the file, and restart apache for the new settings to take effect

Post Edited (08-08-06 16:27)

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP Forum Admin

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Date: August 08, 2006 08:51PM

what the heck is skype?
i did a search for it on my computer and it didn't find nothing.. i have no idea what the hell skype is

Date: August 09, 2006 02:27AM

skype is a very popular free communications program.
[www.skype.com]

Date: August 09, 2006 07:09AM

ok now i know what it is.. but i don't have it.. so why the heck isn't my apache workin.. this is getting ridiculous i'm about to give up

Date: August 09, 2006 08:29AM

what firewall do you use? there have been quite a few posts here before from people having problems getting norton to work with wamp.

Date: August 09, 2006 10:12PM

i use nod32
the weirdest thing happened tho now, i created a new user account on my computer for fun with no admin access and tried apache and it worked said the port was open.. but because of the low access it won't connect but port 80 was in fact free..
but when i'm on my admin account it's not workin.. and i have no fuckin clue what program is runnin that is not allowing me to connect.. this is bullshit..
maybe i'll just backup my hard drive and format the computer and start scratch..

**EDIT**
thanks for the help guys.. but after 3 days i'm finally in.. and workin beautifully!!!
for ppl that might be having a similar problem. my problem was not skype or whatever it was actually my windows tweak xp pop up blocker that was using port 80
i went into processes shut it down and it was that simple.. thx for tryin to help me out tho next on agenda is learning how to use all this but finally i can follow along with the tuturials

Post Edited (08-10-06 00:45)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.