Newbie Can't figure this out
Posted by: doctorg (---.asianet.co.th)
Date: August 03, 2006 04:15AM

Hello Everyone

Ok here is my problem...I have designed several sites and written several php scripts so I think i know what I'm doing. This is my problem I'd like to write some Php scripts construct the pages then view the results on my computer instead of uploading them to my website and then testing them there...Its a hassel especially if they don't work. So I heard that Wampserver does this. I went out and got the program and expected it would work but it doesn't not for me. Now I know that its because I have to configure something but that something is what I don't know....Here is an example.

I have a simple html page with a form on it The action is post. The requires the user to fill in a short form 3 feilds Name e-mail and comments. Then the form sends it to my e-mail account..and redirects the user to a thank-you page....It works great online but I can't get it to work through wamp server...Please tell me why and how to fix this problem.

I have created an alias directory and when I go the sure enough it displays my form but when I press submit it just hangs and never loads the thank-you page or sends the mail to me.....

Please guys help....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newbie Can't figure this out
Posted by: CyberSpatium (67.170.181.---)
Date: August 03, 2006 09:37AM

wamp does not come with an SMTP server, so you can not send email with your php script.

Date: August 03, 2006 12:27PM

Ok now I know that Wamp does not come with an SMTP server but what about other Php programs that I have written for example one to protect webpages....Why does wamp not show these pages....I get my login page which is written in HTML and when I enter the password and username the php page that I call never appears....nor does the error page

Date: August 03, 2006 09:16PM

you are using short asp style tags.

change
<?

to
<?php

Date: August 04, 2006 02:18AM

Thanks guys I got it working now...But I do have another questions. Is there anything out there like wamp that does have a SMTP server included...

Posted by: geos (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: August 04, 2006 10:13PM

Well go on google and search for smtp server and you will probably find a program that will work for you.

Posted by: yfastud (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: August 06, 2006 05:09AM

So... you want an independent mail server or php script? If you like the script, try phpmail, if you like independent, there is a lot of free mail server out there, just google it.

I've been testing mine, which is independent and support all smtp, imap, pop3, and webmail, so far so good.

[mail.jlbn.com]

Hope this help.

BN

Date: August 06, 2006 07:36AM

phpmail3 is a great program, too bad it is not free.

just beware though, installing an smtp server on your computer is a huge security risk. your server will not be secure and open to any spammers who will use it to send their spam from.

Posted by: tellmewhoareu (59.145.110.---)
Date: August 07, 2006 10:02AM

try XAMPP. it seems it got an SMTP server bundled.

if u are on windows platform try configuring the default IIS SMTP.

Posted by: yfastud (72.236.169.---)
Date: August 07, 2006 01:31PM

As I already mentioned, xamp integrates an independent mail server, Mercury Mail, that's why it supports smtp.
Good: include almost everything
Bad: might not have features you're looking for
You can do it yourself, too, and have most features as expected. I tested xamp before; then decided to stick with wamp and install all other apllications such as ftp server, mail server + webmail, forum, so on that have most features I want. Easier configure and control.

Post Edited (08-07-06 13:40)

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: August 08, 2006 03:17AM

Thanks guys for all the info. I took your advice and got a mail server. Configured it with WAMP and presto everything works flawlessly. The mail server I choose is called Mercury Win32. Its really easy to install and configures itself for the most part. I really only needed it because Apache does not have one. So as it stands right now I'm running WindowsXp Pro as my OS. Then running WAMP and the mail server as the testing platform for PHP and MySQL. for the websites we build....Again thanks guys you are all awesome....Keep up the good work...

Posted by: yfastud (72.236.169.---)
Date: August 08, 2006 01:48PM

It's a good one. I tested it before. It has most of features, even remote access, but remote access can only check to see if it's running or not, can't do much with it. By the way, be careful with its authentication. You can also configure web mail with it such as squirrel mail, iloha mail or my favorite roundcube mail.
[www.roundcube.net]
[mail.jlbn.com]
Have fun

Posted by: jonborbon (202.138.141.---)
Date: September 21, 2006 12:22PM

Hey!
I've been reading these post hoping for information how to configure these mail and other servers, can you guys help me configure mail and file server?

I'm testing WAMP on a Windows XP box in a LAN seting, downloaded Free SMTP Server (and found that it took so long to process/send mail..). Can you please help me out? I need your experienced expertise. Can you make it easy to follow? Thanks in advance!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.