Newbie and Crusty ...Upgrade?
Posted by: Crusty (---.demon.co.uk)
Date: July 11, 2006 06:34PM

I've decided I'd like to have a go at MySQL. WIthout realising it was part of WAMP, I downloaded from MySQL.com and installed it in program folder. Major conflict only resolved after 2 days of slog and a 'Restore' followed by re-installing WAMP.
Using windows XP (home) . Using WAMP_1.4.4 and it seems to say MySQL 4.1.1.
Simple PHP/MySQL files seem to run and I eventually got a MySQL Command box/interpreter (?). I have no MySQLAdmin (But not sure I want it) and no Config that works ('template' file missing)
It would be good to upgrade (I think?) but after recent experience I need some advice from someone please. (Neither do I relish loosin all my 'web files'!)
Please help an old man get to grips with this.
Crusty

Crusty

Re: Newbie and Crusty ...Upgrade?
Posted by: yfastud (72.236.169.---)
Date: July 11, 2006 06:48PM

It should be fine to upgrade, but for more safety, save your www folder somewherelse then do the upgrade
Hope this help

Posted by: Crusty (---.demon.co.uk)
Date: July 11, 2006 07:11PM

Thanks. Most grateful for your help But....
What do I upgrade Too?
I believe there are warnings that upgrading to the wrong version..( a step too far ) can cause major problems. I run three non-commercial web sites (no one else volunteered!) and if I can't keep in touch with the sites (mostly relying on PHP) I wont be very popular.
I have WAMP_1.4.4... to which version should I upgrade and what extras do I get (particularly in relation to MySQL).
Thanks again
Crusty

Crusty

Posted by: yfastud (72.236.169.---)
Date: July 11, 2006 07:59PM

Upgrade to current version, you will get as listed in main page instead, if don't remember wrong, Apache 1, PHP 4, and MySQL 4. Might have conflict between php 4 and 5.
Edit: There is a issue switching b/w php 4 and 5 in later versions; thus, make sure to test in different unit w/ different port setting before completely switching over your entire sites.
Good luck

Post Edited (07-11-06 20:17)

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.