What happened to CreateSymlink option?
Posted by: Tidal (175.139.255.---)
Date: February 22, 2022 10:31AM

EDIT:
Never mind I just saw this (wasn't using search properly, sorry):
[forum.wampserver.com]

AKA it was removed in 3.2.6 and might come back in 3.2.8. I might settle with a different stack for now until then. I love Wamp a little too much grinning smiley

--

Hello,

this isn't really a troubleshooting issue. Rather it concerns a missing option. I assume it got removed for a reason. I would like to know why and if there is a possibility of it returning, since it is really handy for us with symlink issues.

Backstory:
When I first installed WampServer 3.2.3, I was having trouble getting symlinks working so I looked at the ini/script to see what I could do. That is when I saw the option CreateSymlink = "symlink" in wampmanager.conf. Switching "symlink" to "copy" miraculously solved everything smiling smiley

After that I needed PHP 8.0, so I installed the cumulative update 3.2.7 and got everything running... except the symlinks. I looked at the .conf file and was surprised to see CreateSymlink option gone. Even the scripts no longer reference this option. The changelog never mentioned anything about removing this option so it is confusing to see it vanish just like that.

Thus my original question: what happened to CreateSymlink option? Will it come back?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2023 02:56PM by Otomatic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What happened to CreateSymlink option? (SOLVED)
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: February 22, 2022 03:24PM

Hi,

This option has been removed with 3.2.6 because, in some configuration cases, with "copy" instead of "symlink" there could be unrecoverable errors and it was then much easier to remove this option than to try to correct its implementation.

This option will come back with 3.2.8 which is an important - not to say huge - evolution of Wampserver with the support of Fast CGI, that is to say the possibility for each VirtualHost and Alias to be able to work each with a different PHP version and with the possibilities to add, remove, modify the FCGI mode of the existing VirtualHost and Alias

Nevertheless, I still say that if the symbolic links do not work, there is a problem on the system used.
This option will remain available only with manual modification of the wampmanager.conf file.

Also, the option - more or less hidden - to put links on projects and to make sure that these links use or not the host IP (gethostbyname) will come back

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Posted by: Tidal (175.139.255.---)
Date: February 23, 2022 03:56AM

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation! I see how copy would cause unintended effects and I definitely prefer using symlinks whenever possible. Unfortunately our office computers have some strict policies in place and one of them may have affected symlinks. Wamp works well on my personal machines otherwise; I have been using it since version 2.5 and it has been my go-to stack since. I'm looking forward to 3.2.8 grinning smiley

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: January 19, 2023 02:56PM

Hi,

I will have to remove the possibility to use :
CreateSymlink="copy"
and therefore remove the CreateSymlink option in wampmanager.conf.

- PHP < 8.2.0 uses openssl 1.1
- PHP >= 8.2.0 uses openssl 3

- Apache < 2.4.55 uses openssl 1.1
- Apache >= 2.4.55 uses openssl 3

And for all this little world to be able to cohabit and work correctly I have to create symbolic links on the dll of the missing openssl and libcrypto versions and to be able to make the difference between a symbolic link and a real file when PHP and Apache versions change.

The last wampserver 3.3.1 update has a "gas factory" and warts to try to support CreateSymlink="copy" mode !

So, the next wampserver 3.3.2 update will not have this possibility anymore.

Sorry!

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.