2-3 Quick questions...
Posted by: Bob Leny (12.168.211.---)
Date: July 05, 2006 11:03PM

1.) How do I change the directory of the www file. I would like to move the file to another folder making my localhost from there in stead of the default c:\WINDOW\WAMP\WWW\

2.) If I can set the server to online, then can I use the sever to host a file?

3.) If so, then can you tell me how to do this?

4.) If I can't, use the server to host files, then what is putting the server online for?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2-3 Quick questions...
Posted by: yfastud (72.236.169.---)
Date: July 05, 2006 11:27PM

1. To change document roots, configure Virtual Host in wamp/apache2/conf/httpd.conf. Search this forum for VH, you might run into some of my old post or better from CyberSpatium.
2+3+4. To access your sites worldwide, you need DNS service and domain; however, with domain, if want to save money, you can use your web ip instead. Remember to enable ports forward in your router as well as firewall.
Hope this help.

Posted by: Bob Leny (12.168.214.---)
Date: July 30, 2006 07:32PM

Thanks! I have a domain name and DNS, but How do I know what my dns is for this?
For instance, might be ns1.me.com?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to use this for hosting a site or sites. I want the ability to develop and work on my site with out the hastel of uploading my site to a server. I know I can do this localy but, from time to time, I get into a snag and ask my friends for help. This way for a small brief time I can let them see what I am working on with out uploading to my host.

Also, I have an extra DNS and Domain name so that I don't have to wait 24 hours for the DNS to update each time I want someone to see my progress.

Post Edited (07-30-06 20:18)

Posted by: yfastud (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 30, 2006 10:08PM

24hrs for dns to update? No, only the first time can takes up to 72hrs, after that only seconds.

If you set up your dns and vh correctly, you will see your pages running on your computer shows up when type in the browser your domain name.

For example, you can only see this page below only when I turn on my computer

[testsie.jlbn.com]

To set up dns or vh, search this forum for DNS or VH, you might run into some of my old post or better from CyberSpatium.

Hope this help.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.