Recommended updates and addons after upgrading to Wampserver 3.3.1
Posted by: DJMarvin54 (---.dynamic.fuse.net)
Date: May 02, 2023 10:24PM

Initial step - my system settings etc.:
1 - Windows version used (Specify version number AND whether 32 or 64 bit)

Edition Windows 11 Pro, Version 22H2, 64 bit
OS build 22621.1555

2 - Version WampServer (Specify version number AND whether 32 or 64 bit) -
WampServer Version 3.2.3 64bit

3 - Apache Version - Apache 2.4.46 Port 80

4 - PHP Version - PHP 7.3.21

5 - MySQL Version - MySQL 5.7.31 Port 3306

5a - MariaDB version if applicable - Not applicable

6 - What color is the WampServer icon (in the notification area of the taskbar) Green

When all goes well it should be green, but it may be red or orange.

7 - In the file c:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts, what are the active lines?
* Active means no # at the beginning of the line.

127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost

If the WampServer icon is green:

8 - Do you have access to localhost (Homepage WampServer)? Yes
8a - If so, is there an error message at the bottom of the page? No

9 - Do you have access to phpMyAdmin? Yes

10 - If you refer to an error message, please include the EXACT wording of the error in your post

11 - If you use an Antivirus and / or Firewall, please include the names of these
Norton 360 for both

12 - What is the full path to the installation of WampServer (eg D:\wamp\)
C:\wamp64

13 - If you have one or more Virtual Hosts defined, please show their definition(s)
None defined

My questions:

I just updated Wampserver to version 3.3.1. Followed instructions as carefully as possible and all appears to be good, i.e., the tray icon is green.

Before I get into a big mess I need some clarification on next steps before I start building out my new virtual hosts. I tried searching for answers before writing this message. Results were not helpful for my situation.

1. Should I still have to update xDebug, Language files, and the Aestan Tray menu or were these included in the Wampserver update?

2. Should I go ahead and add the latest 64-bit versions of PhpMyAdmin, Adminer, PhpSysInfo, Apache, PHP, and MySQL? (I am not using MariaDB.)

3. Checks VC++ packages installed. Didn't notice this when I did the Wampserver update. Should I run this before doing anything further just to be sure all is well? I haven't created any virtual hosts yet so if I need to check my VC++ packages, I assume now is the best time even if it means reinstalling the Wampserver update. NOTE: I did have some virtual hosts setup under Wampserver prior to the update but successfully removed them all (following the correct steps outlined elsewhere in this forum).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recommended updates and addons after upgrading to Wampserver 3.3.1
Posted by: DJMarvin54 (---.dynamic.fuse.net)
Date: May 02, 2023 11:32PM

After doing some more reading and a little testing, I went ahead and updated everything, starting with the VC++ tool which did indicate I was missing the latest of the packages. I ran everything as administrator.

1. VisualCppRedist_AIO_x86_x64.exe

2. wampserver3_x86_x64_update3.3.1.exe (checked and found that xDebug and Aestan Tray were included.)

3. Installed the Addons - PhpMyAdmin 5.2.1, Adminer 4.8.1, Phpsysinfo 3.4.2, and Apache2.4.57.1 x64.

4. Added the 64 bit versions of PHP not currently installed on my system. Verified installs but did not select any of them yet.

5. Added the 64 bit versions of mySQL not currently installed on my system. Verified installs but did not select any of them yet.

6. Successfully started Wampserver64 after each step and as a final step. I just need to start creating my new virtual hosts. If everything checks out, I'll be good to go.

Re: Recommended updates and addons after upgrading to Wampserver 3.3.1
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: May 03, 2023 09:17AM

Hi,

> 1. Should I still have to update xDebug, Language files, and the Aestan Tray menu
> or were these included in the Wampserver update?
Aestan Tray Menu and language files are included in the Wampserver update.
xDebug is not included.

> 2. Should I go ahead and add the latest 64-bit versions of PhpMyAdmin, Adminer, PhpSysInfo, Apache, PHP,
> and MySQL? (I am not using MariaDB.)

There is no obligation to install the last versions Apache, PHP and MySQL. Wampserver is a development server to allow you to develop and/or to make evolve locally real sites by using, at the beginning, the same versions as at the host1.
In the end (except for Apache see below) you install the versions you need, when you need them.

It is almost impossible to get a cross tabulation of supported versions between Apache and PHP as an Apache module, that's why I make sure that the latest Apache version for Wampserver can support, as an Apache module, older versions of PHP although for older versions of PHP (5.4, 5.5) I would rather advise to use the FCGI mode
The versions of Applications like PhpMyAdmin will depend on the PHP version used as an Apache module although here too you can switch PhpMyAdmin (it's an alias) to FCGI mode.

1 You can even have several VirtualHosts for the same local site, each with a different PHP version, which is very convenient to switch a site from an old PHP version to a recent one.

Thanks for your contribution.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.