New WampServer install - questions
Posted by: hedera (---.fiber.dynamic.sonic.net)
Date: March 21, 2023 01:19AM

I'm trying to set up a local web server on a Windows 10 64-bit laptop. I haven't done this in over 10 years. My ultimate goal is to install a Joomla 3.10.11 site (https://rockridgencpc.com) locally so I can rebuild it in Joomla 4.x with a new theme, because the theme I'm using in Joomla 3.10 isn't supported on Joomla 4.

I've downloaded the installer for WampServer 3.3.0 X64. My C: drive is a 2 TB flash drive with lots of space. Assume there are no tools on my system except whatever Microsoft Visual C++ redistributables came with the original win10 install. Visual Studio 2017 seems to be installed, although there is an installer and a folder full of command prompts for developer, native tools, and cross tools.

I assume from my reading that I have to install everything WampServer needs, before installing WampServer. What is the recommended order? Do I do the Visual C++ updates first? WHICH Visual C++ updates - I've seen several lists, and the list in "all you need to know about WampServer 3" is dated 2016.

Does the order in which I install Apache, PHP, and MySQL matter? Do the versions of these matter, or just the latest? I would greatly appreciate any advice on this.

hedera
=======
Nature bats last.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New WampServer install - questions
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: March 21, 2023 08:53AM

> I've seen several lists, and the list in "all you need to know about WampServer 3" is dated 2016.
Just because the first post is from 2016 doesn't mean the post isn't current.
If you had read to the end, you would have noticed that it says:
Modified 407 times. Last modified on 16/03/2023 at 10:37 by Otomatic.

Regarding the order:

- 1 - Verify that all VC ++ packages are installed and with the latest versions.
To do this, use the tool:
Checks VC++ packages installed
Do not use a previously loaded tool. Make a new download to make sure you are using the correct version.
To download missing packages, do not rely on Microsoft links, they are not reliable, download packages on http://wampserver.aviatechno.net in section Visual C++ Redistribuable Packages
Do not forget that if you have a 64 bit Windows, you must install both 32 and 64 bit versions of each package.
You must install each package "as an administrator", so right-click the exe file and then run as Administrator.

- 2 - Install Wampserver 3.3.0

- 3 - Apply Update 3.3.1 to your version of Wampserver
Wampserver update 3.3.1

- 4 - The local installation of web applications and/or CMS requires that they be installed in a VirtualHost like any other hos:

See:
- The need for Virtual Host.
and
- Wampserver 3 - Create or add a VirtualHost
and
- Why to create a VirtualHost BEFORE installing a CMS

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.