What to Copy after computer crash ?
Posted by: kayakrob (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 10, 2023 05:16PM

My computer crashed and I can only access files via CMD at this time.
Windows 10
(actually I do have backup image file from three months ago... so I will backup to that *hopefully* soon )
Once I am done copying over my other data.

I am/was running PHP for Wordpress creation with wamp.

I don't think I need to copy the full installation once I recover with my image file from 3 months ago...
I didn't do any wamp64 updates or other... just my Wordpress creations are new from 3 months ago...

So... obviously I will copy over my "www" directory.
And probably the "bin" directory that has the databases.

Any other directories ??
Or should I just copy the whole wamp64 directory ?

Thanks group !

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What to Copy after computer crash ?
Posted by: webmasterinnj (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 10, 2023 09:01PM

it would be alot easier to copy the entire wamp64 directory so you can ensure you wont lose and files you need.

[djswebserver.ddnsgeek.com]

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: March 11, 2023 08:46AM

By copying the complete wamp64 folder, there will be no information in the registry and the updates and additions of versions will be impossible.

You have to install Wampserver in the exact same path as before the crash and eventually add the Apache, PHP, MySQL and MariaDB versions that were used before the crash.

And only then restore the VirtualHost folders of wamp64/www/, the httpd-vhosts.conf file and the data folders of MySQL and MariaDB.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: March 11, 2023 11:17AM

thank you for your comments !

as mentioned above, three months ago I made a backup "image" file... which should restore the computer to the exact "state" as it was then. Thus I would *not* be just "dropping in" wamp64,
as all will *be* as it was three months ago.

Just the "data" that was made to the Wordpress site I created.

I think I am correct that creating a Wordpress site would not affect the computer's registry.
Yes ? :-) hopefully !

I will make a complete copy of wamp64 directory in case there are other directories I need copied back in other than "bin" and "www" .

thank you for your patience and comments.
( I have been using wamp for many years,
I just never had a computer crash before...l I guess I have been lucky)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2023 11:20AM by kayakrob.

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: March 11, 2023 11:38AM

Hi,

> Just the "data" that was made to the Wordpress site I created.
Restoring a three-month-old image will restore your WordPress site to the way it was three months ago; any data you may have added to it since then is irretrievably lost.

> I think I am correct that creating a Wordpress site would not affect the computer's registry.
Yes

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: March 11, 2023 02:33PM

>Restoring a three-month-old image will restore your WordPress site to the way it was three months ago; any data you may have added to it since then is irretrievably lost.

Yes I believe we understand stand what I am doing, thanks.

But... my idea is that... *before* I revert to the three month old backup...
I am copying the "www" and "bin" (bin has my databases) directories, that contain the "fresh/complete" data...
and then...

Dropping in the copied complete *data* directories back into the "restored" computer.

It should work... obviously I'll let you know. It will be a couple of more days before I can complete copying all the files I need before I install the backup.

l want to make sure for my other programs I also get the data I need that will be lost when I revert to the three month old back up.

The computer has an SSD drive and I don't have a external enclosure for it other wise I could pull it and quickly transfer the files I need. I have to CMD (command prompt ms-dos) to pull the files and it is a slow process.

Thanks again and I'll let you know how it works out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.