Newb to Wamp...
Posted by: HandleX (209.212.4.---)
Date: June 07, 2006 01:22AM

I just installed Wamp on my windows 2k3 web server.
I put my whole web site directory in the C:\wamp\www directory.

However my question is - how do i get this up and running to the internet.
I do understand that i need to host it via a domain name, but im not sure as to how to specify to the Domain Name provider that i am hosting a local web server.

Also, when using Wamp - should I NOT be using IIS as well?

Re: Newb to Wamp...
Posted by: CyberSpatium (67.170.181.---)
Date: June 07, 2006 05:21AM

do not use IIS if you are using Apache. WAMP was designed and developed for local testing and development only, not to be a production web server. there are absolutely no security measures in place, meaning any 6 year old with an internet account can hack your server. Also, if host an website with your internet connection, your server will be extremely slow because you are limited by the speed of your internet connection. if you have a dialup internet connection, and have a forum up like phpbb, just one person using your forum is enough to use up all your connections bandwidth. Even if you have dsl or cable connection, a few users browsing your website is enough to bring it to a crawl.

Posted by: sharksandwich (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: June 09, 2006 03:49AM

What about just running a linux server with php/mysql from a cable connection at home? Would that be considerably better?

Posted by: CyberSpatium (67.170.181.---)
Date: June 09, 2006 10:43AM

cable limits their upload speed. so even with a cable connection, just a few surfers surfing your site is all that is needed to bring your site to a crawl. And it does not matter if you have dialup, cable or dsl, running an unsecure webserver on your local computer is not a good idea. WAMP has no security in place, so using it to run a webserver is the last thing you should be doing with it. Any 6 year old with an internet connection could easily hack your server.

You can get webhosting for dirt cheap prices now days that is the way to go. It you buy a domain, most domain name registers offer free hosting for your domain that may be the way to go too.

www.1and1.com has hosting for less than $3.00 per month and it comes with one free domain name.

Other good sites

www.registerfly.com
www.godaddy.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.