Move WampServer from sourceforge to github or gitlab
Posted by: sivefe2775 (41.62.115.---)
Date: March 11, 2022 12:39PM

Have you thought about moving WampServer to GitHub (you can even mirror to GitLab for backup)? It would be better, at least in my opinion, because then more people could contribute and help this project.

You can't trust SourceForge anymore anyway.

SourceForge is modifying official installers from popular projects. They're adding adware to it against the will of the project owners. See for e.g.:

Gimp: [www.gimp.org] (skip the first news, the two news following are about this issue at the time of writing; I don't see a way to link to it directly)
VLC media player: [blog.l0cal.com]
Notepad++: [notepad-plus-plus.org]

GitHub has a way to setup a devops pipeline (https://github.com/features/actions), also a Discussions feature which is like a forum for your repository (example: [github.com]).
Please move to GitHub!

Original post:
[sourceforge.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2022 12:45PM by sivefe2775.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Move WampServer from sourceforge to github or gitlab
Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: March 11, 2022 03:41PM

If you are worried about Sourceforge there is always the backup repo which in my opinion works much better and the visibility is SOooo much simpler

smiling smiley

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2022 05:04PM by RiggsFolly.

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: March 11, 2022 03:42PM

Hi,

> SourceForge is modifying official installers from popular projects.
> They're adding adware to it against the will of the project owners.
That was in 2015.
Now, all InnoSetup installers of full versions, updates, Apache, PHP, MySQL and MariaDB addons, applications, tools are signed (Microsoft signtool.exe) with my name: Dominique Ottello.

There is my own site https://wampserver.aviatechno.net

And nothing prevents anyone to launch a fork on GitHub. When Wampserver is installed, you have the whole "code", except Wampmanager.exe, that is Aestan Tray Menu Copyright (c) 2019 - 2022 by Alain-Michel Verwee Alias Maximus23.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Posted by: sivefe2775 (197.1.45.---)
Date: March 13, 2022 03:14AM

Why is the wamp server installer exe on sourceforge not signed?

It says unknown publisher, however the installer on your website [wampserver.aviatechno.net] is properly signed.

Doesn't this mean that the exe on sourceforge has been tampered with?

Edit: It seems the latest exe has been properly signed on sourceforge, weird because I have an old wampserver3.2.6_x64.exe from December and It's not signed.

Did you only recently start signing your wamp installer?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2022 03:32AM by sivefe2775.

Date: March 13, 2022 10:26AM

Hi,

> Did you only recently start signing your wamp installer?

The digital signature of the installers started less than a week ago.
Don't forget that there are :
- more than twenty application installers
- 66 Apache installers
- 311 PHP installers
- 27 MySQL installers
- 154 MariaDB installers
- etc.
and that not only does it take time to sign them, but also much more time to upload them to Sourceforge and, on top of that, there may be some oversights.

Patience and its sister humility are the mothers of all virtues
Only those who do nothing doesn't risk making mistakes!

Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Posted by: sivefe2775 (197.238.196.---)
Date: March 13, 2022 06:35PM

Good to know you started signing the packages, I realize It's a slow process but It's a step in the right direction.

Still I highly recommend you use some kind of version control platform to host the project like Github or Gitlab, the project would get more visibility. More people would be able to conveniently check the source code and have a look at the latest releases.

Also contributions would become a lot more convenient, and I'm sure the project would improve much quicker.

I realize that you'll have to make some changes to your workflow, I don't know if you already use git or not, if you do use Git then It would be extremely easy to push the project to GitHub and GitLab.

I'm only making this suggestion because I strongly believe It would benefit the project greatly.

I'm sure many devs would be willing to help work on and improve WAMP server.

Thank you for the great work you're doing on this project btw.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2022 06:43PM by sivefe2775.

Posted by: supaman2u (99.42.79.---)
Date: March 14, 2022 10:29PM

>And nothing prevents anyone to launch a fork on GitHub. When Wampserver is installed, you have the whole "code", except Wampmanager.exe, that is Aestan Tray Menu Copyright (c) 2019 - 2022 by Alain-Michel Verwee Alias Maximus23.

AeTrayMenu is public domain and on github: [github.com]

As for the code, GPL requires that any scripts used to create any installer for GPL code also be released. The last update of the WAMP sources on SourceForge was in 2020 which means it is likely out of date.

Per GPL:
The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for
making modifications to it. For an executable work, complete
source code means all the source code for all modules it contains,
plus any associated interface definition files, plus the scripts
used to control compilation and installation of the executable.

It is not sufficient to simply say that the installer includes the "source" because the source scripts (ISS,languages files, etc) being used are considered part of the "source".

I agree that you do amazing work, but the community also has to seek enforcement of the rules of the free software being distributed to ensure the same protections are passed on.

If making your private github repository public helps ease the burden of adhering to the requirements of GPL, it might be worth consideration.

In any case, the SourceForge installer sources likely need to be updated.

Date: March 15, 2022 09:11AM

Hi,

> AeTrayMenu is public domain and on github: [github.com]

It hasn't changed in ten years. No evolution. This version can't work with Wampserver.

Date: March 15, 2022 12:07PM

Hi,

To make evolve Wampserver, to create addons with the new versions of Apache, PHP, MariaDB or MySQL, to add functionalities, is, for me, a fun and it must remain a fun.
Fun that I share with Maximus23 for Aestan Tray Menu.

Considering the constraints and the additional "work" that would be imposed on me, I will study the change of license to move to an X11 license or "Modified BSD License" or Apache 2.0 licence or even no license at all, and then it will really be free software.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2022 12:35PM by Otomatic.

Posted by: supaman2u (99.42.79.---)
Date: March 15, 2022 08:38PM

AETrayMenu/Aestan Tray Menu is less of a concern to me, though I agree it would be nice if the benefits obtained by using the original open source were passed on.

This suggestion should also be* about ensuring that the the ISS scripts/installation source modifications/etc are kept up to date for the GPL requirements of the software being distributed. While they are not the most popular, at >100 downloads per week for even the out-of-date versions of the ISS files and source bundles, it does seem that people are relying on the availability of the source files for their projects.

As long as the source files are up to date people can sign their own installations and perform their own customization or updates, if they want.

If changing the process to use a public source repository could make it easier to comply with GPL requirements and not require you to manually update SourceForge, that would seem to be the most efficient change to make, no? In the end, releasing those sources is not optional, so it doesn't seem like the OPs suggestion should be dismissed so quickly.

Note: I'm talking about the ISS scripts/related files, and the modified sources (e.g. modified config files for the installer), not the source code of every project dependency.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2022 08:42PM by supaman2u.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.