Feature Default charset and collation
Posted by: theking2 (---.dyn.cable.fcom.ch)
Date: March 02, 2022 02:52PM

Add this to my.ini

[wampmariadb64]
character_set_server = utf8mb4
collation_server = utf8mb4_general_ci

[mysqld]
character-set-client-handshake = FALSE
character-set-server = utf8mb4
collation-server = utf8mb4_general_ci
character-set-filesystem = utf8mb4

Rationale: Modern charsets and preventing multibyte attacks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Feature Default charset and collation
Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: March 03, 2022 10:49AM

Hi,

Please remember, this is primarily a learning tool. Configuration of these servers is completely down to you and is part of your learning process for each of these servers and environments.

It is not something you can ask to be configured to your personal needs.

I, like you, have a list of config changes I have to make in order for Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP to be setup as I want them to be. I check on each release if any of the defaults I require have changed and then amend my New Version Check List. I suggest you do something similiar.

Also, WAMPServer being so flexible (many versions of all its component parts), to make a config change that suites MySQL V8 may not even be possible in MYSQL V5.6 or 5.7

However, dont let this put you off, suggestions for improvement are always welcome and considered, but in the light of the general usership (if thats a word) and not one individual.

Regards

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2022 10:52AM by RiggsFolly.

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: March 03, 2022 12:34PM

Hi,

Nothing like a native English speaker to answer better than I could have.
Thank you.

Wampserver's Apache, PHP, MySQL and MariaDB configurations are written to work for everyone the first time.

Thank you for responding to my request to test for Windows charset, but I would love to hear from other places like South America, Asia and the Middle East.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Posted by: theking2 (---.static.upc.ch)
Date: March 10, 2022 03:54PM

Excellent answer. Thanks for that.

I realize that this might be "a personal need". I woulnd't go as far as calling wampserver a learning tool. For many years it is my preferred local development.

Most professional hosters these days will offer out of the box utf8mb4/utf8mb4_unicode_ci, and to minimize transfer problems it might make sense to with the flow abit. Hence my suggestion.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.