Installing "Up to Date" MS Visual C++ Packages
Posted by: Len_Jacobson@usa.net (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2022 04:17AM

It's been a few years since I last installed the Wamp server -- I need help, please, with finding the necessary MS Visual C++ downloads. I don't remember from previous installations that it was so difficult, but this time I am at a loss for where to find the downloads.

I read thorough the long write up that starts off by saying that you must install up-to-date VC9, VC10, VC11, VC13, VC15, & VC16. But then the write-up mentions other numbers. Are they also necessary?

But the most frustrating thing is that the links provided in that write-up are mostly "dead" links. They don't bring you to the downloads.

I would appreciate some guidance here.

Thank you very much.

Len Jacobson

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Installing "Up to Date" MS Visual C++ Packages
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: February 10, 2022 09:33AM

Hi,

- Verify that all VC ++ packages are installed and with the latest versions.
To do this, use the tool:
Checks VC++ packages installed
Do not use a previously loaded tool. Make a new download to make sure you are using the correct version.
To download missing packages, do not rely on Microsoft links, they are not reliable, download packages on http://wampserver.aviatechno.net in section Visual C++ Redistribuable Packages
Do not forget that if you have a 64 bit Windows, you must install both 32 and 64 bit versions of each package.
You must install each package "as an administrator", so right-click the exe file and then run as Administrator.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Posted by: Len_Jacobson@usa.net (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2022 04:00PM

Thank you very much!!!

I will follow those instructions exactly!!

Len

Posted by: hedera (---.fiber.dynamic.sonic.net)
Date: March 20, 2023 12:48AM

I have the same problem, but when I clicked on the link for the tool to check VC++ packages installed, I got a warning from Malwarebytes about, well, potential malware. Do you have a way to get to the link that doesn't threaten infecting my laptop? At the moment I don't have Wampserver, Visual Studio, or anything else related to Wampserver except the install executable for v. 3.3.0, on my Windows 10 laptop.

Date: March 20, 2023 08:29AM

> I got a warning from Malwarebytes about, well, potential malware.
There are two solutions:
- 1 - You do not install Wampserver
- 2 - You ignore the erroneous warning from Malwarebytes

Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: March 20, 2023 04:08PM

Small Point:

Visual Studio is in no way related to WAMPServer or any of its component parts, other than it is used to compile and link those component i.e. Apache, MySQL, mariaDB, PHP.

So the fact that the "MSVC Runtimes" are so named and needed in order to run above said components is that MS provides those so that code compiled using its compiler (Visual Studio, for want of a better name) can be linked to use these shared functions rather than creating a MONOLITHIC executable with all the runtime libraries linked into the individual executables.

The reason there are now more of these than there were some years ago is that time moves on and so does the MS Compiler/Linker.

In all honesty, you probably dont need all these runtimes. BUT BECAUSE WAMPServer is so flexible whereby you could be running PHP5.6 one day and PHP8.2 the next, and to simplify the support required. We always ask that you install ALL the available versions of both 32 and 64 bit MSVC runtimes.

This we believe will reduce the lilelyhood of OTO spending 36 hours a day answering issues that do not need to happen due to someone switching from one version of a component to another.

NOTE: These runtimes could be used by multiple other programs that you use, the fact you have them installed means that they do not have to ask you to install them smiling smiley

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: hedera (---.fiber.dynamic.sonic.net)
Date: March 21, 2023 01:30AM

Yes, I ignored the Malwarebytes warning and ran the check for VC++ packages, which told me that all the packages on my system are out of date. I still need to know a reliable source where I can download the current versions. I found Microsoft's site, and a site called TechPowerUp, which both claim to support latest supported Visual C++ redistributables. Is one or the other recommended?

Date: March 21, 2023 09:09AM

I would like to point out that all installers, addons and tools for Wampserver are digitally signed:
Dominique Ottello
(See File properties, Digital signature tab)
and that I paid, from my pocket, the certificate in order to provide - for free - reliable installers and tools.

For historical reasons, I still maintain Sourceforge but the "official" Wampserver site is now:
https://wampserver.aviatechno.net/

You'll find everything you need for Wampserver there and that includes the always up to date VC++ redistributables in the Visual C++ Redistribuable Packages section and the tool to check the redistributables in the Tools section.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.