Wamp server icon is missing
Posted by: HenkB (---.cable.dynamic.v4.ziggo.nl)
Date: February 02, 2022 02:02PM

Hello,
Please your attention for a 'funny' problem.
A couple of month ago I decided to upgrade my Windows 10 to Windows 11.
After the upgrade WAMP refused to start, my laptop was showing a couple of times a MSDOS screen during startup and that was it.
I found out that Windows 11 needed the latest MS Visual C++ 2015-2022 and after I installed this redistributable the nice green WAMP Server icon was again present.

Now the 'funny' part, 2 weeks ago my laptop showed the same behaviour, as when I upgraded it before to Windows 11.
After I started the WAMP server the system showed again a few black MSDOS sceens and that was it, the WAMP Server Icon didn't pop up so it looked like my previous problem so I started to dig in the redistributables but every thing was up to date (I ran successfully check_vcredist).
I installed again WAMP (and yes I deleted the previous installation, ran it as administrator etc because I have done this several times and installed it several times before)
I checked all possible tricks, deinstalled previous (Windows)updates etc. etc it did not help.
Be at my wits I type 'localhost' in my browser and I was surprised to see the complete WAMP PhpMyadmin page, it looked that every thing was running fine (and that was true)!!!
With this WAMP Server web page I was able (it's a bit harder) to install a complete new Wordpress site so skipping the WAMP server (green) Icon at all.
So I am back with a working local site but still the startup fase isn't what it should be, no WAMP Icon at all, why? I guess it has something to do (again) with Windows 11 (upgrade/Kcool smiley
What's wrong?

Thanks for any tips.

P.S. I am running
Windows 11 Home
Version 21H2
OS Build 22000.469
Windows experience Pack 1000.22000.469.0

By the way, in my old Shuttle bare bone running on Windows 10 WAMP behaviour is as it should be, a nice green icon in my system tray.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wamp server icon is missing
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: February 02, 2022 04:15PM

Hi,

See wamp(64)/instructions_for_use.pdf

I don't have Windows 11 (yet) so I can't tell you that it can be the same little problem as in Windows 10, but the Wampmanager icon should simply be in the hidden icons area of the taskbar. Just open the hidden icons area (click on ^) and drag and drop the icon to the right place.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: February 02, 2022 05:57PM

Hello Omatic,
Thanks for your response but the Wamp manager is absolutely not in the hidden icons (to obvious).

The fact that when I start the Wampmanager the MSDOS cmd.exe screen 'flashes' 5 times on my screen is a weird behavior, after that bizar startup behavior no Wamp Icon at all.
Before this problem I ran 3.1.3 but but I installed the newer Wamp version 3.2.6 just to give it a try.
Even with this brand-new installation the problem of the missing Wamp Server Icon persist.

My guess is that it has something to do with Windows 11 because on my desktop that uses Windows 10 all different Wamp versions runs fine (it's a piece of cake to install successful other versions on Windows 10)
Please help.

Best regards,
Henk

Date: February 03, 2022 09:22AM

Hi,

Update to 3.2.7 -> wampserver3_x86_x64_update3.2.7.exe

Then — Only after update 3.2.7 —
Update Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.4.3 wamp3_x86_x64_aetray3.2.4.3.exe

Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: February 03, 2022 01:51PM

Hi,

I updated to 3.2.7 -> wampserver3_x86_x64_update3.2.7.exe

After updated to 3.2.7 —I update Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.4.3 wamp3_x86_x64_aetray3.2.4.3.exe.
Doesn't make any difference, still no Wamp Icon but still able to work with Wamp.
Other suggestions?

Best regards,
Henk

Date: February 03, 2022 02:07PM

Hi,

Is there any error in php_error.log ?

wamp(64)/logs/php_error.log

You can also check the event viewer to see if there is an error about wampmanager.exe.

Date: February 04, 2022 01:34AM

Hi,

I scrutinized the different error logs (again) and after a second look I found just an cgi error in the apache-errot.log see below.

[Thu Feb 03 15:19:30.230407 2022] [cgi:error] [pid 17868:tid 1196] [client 192.168.178.18:62582] AH02811: script not found or unable to stat: C:/wamp64/bin/apache/apache2.4.51/cgi-bin/mainfunction.cgi

All other logs seems clean for me including eventviewer.
Because I am going tomorrow to Italy for a week ski holliday I guess I will not respond before 14 februari.
Anyway thanks for your help.
Best regard,
Henk

Date: February 04, 2022 09:34AM

Hi,

> script not found or unable to stat: C:/wamp64/bin/apache/apache2.4.51/cgi-bin/mainfunction.cgi
This script 'mainfunction.cgi' is not part of Wampserver or Apache.
The only script in cgi-bin installed by Apache is 'printenv.pl'.

So, the request to access the 'mainfunction.cgi' script does not come from Wampserver or Apache.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.