hard beginning
Posted by: kermit (---.65.39.28.dynamic.barak-online.net)
Date: May 29, 2006 12:01PM

Hi, I have just installed Wamp on my machine (WinXP), with no errors during the process. However, the icon on the system tray keeps appearing yellow, and when surfing to localhost/mysite/ I get error 404.

I have iis server running on the same machine, and I suspect this is the problem. Having stopped it and resetting the Wamp server - it didn't help. It keeps appearing yellow, and can't surf to localhost. Any ideas what may be the problem?

Another thing: during installation I set auto-start as default, and now I don't know where I can change it back to manual start. Would anyone advice on that too...

Many thanks in advance :-)

Kermit

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: hard beginning
Posted by: Jippers (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: May 29, 2006 12:04PM

Try clicking on the icon and highlighting Start Services tongue sticking out smiley

Date: May 29, 2006 12:24PM

Thanks - you wouldn't believe it but the service is - already on ;-)...

I have read somewhere it's because both iis and apache are using the same port. How do I configure any of them to use a different port?

Thanks again,

Date: May 29, 2006 12:31PM

you maybe able to find out..by clicking on the icon, highlight apache and then test port 80..

Hope it works for you

Date: May 29, 2006 01:17PM

Thanks! it did help :-). I have found out that port 80 is busy by the IIS. So now - the burning question is: ... how do I change the port for Wamp (and to which port)?

Thanks again,

Michal

Date: May 29, 2006 02:04PM

I'm not absolutely too sure about the IIS, it wasn't on on my system, so I haven't had to switch it off.
I think I did see something about it though in the FAQ's..positive about it.

I have a proble though..I can make my server page available to others over the internet, just can't make a forum that I have in the www folder visable to others. I can see it but everyone else can't.

I have pot a post on the board about it...

Jippers aka John Paul/JP

Date: May 29, 2006 02:15PM

ok, sorry I can't help you on your question ;-( , maybe it has to do with security settings on your server? Anyway - I did find some info on how to set the two servers on the same machine plus change the default port settings of Wamp (I didn't test it yet, but it should work, I think). Here it is: [www.herrodius.com].

Thanks again for your help and good luck with your question,

K

Posted by: CyberSpatium (67.170.181.---)
Date: May 29, 2006 09:46PM

Jippers

Q.) I have a proble though..I can make my server page available to others over the internet, just can't make a forum that I have in the www folder visable to others. I can see it but everyone else can't.
A.) if you try to surf to [localhost], only you will see your site since localhost is the address for your local machine. if you tell your friends to access [locahost], they will be accessing their machine, not yours. use your ip address:
[your.ip.address.here] (http://123.22.33.123 for example)

kermit

Q.) How do I configure any of them to use a different port?
A.) open your http.conf file and find this line:
Listen 80

change to
listen 81

save the file for the new settings to take effect. now to access your site you will have to include the new port in the url:
[localhost]
[localhost]

Posted by: Briseida (201.226.220.---)
Date: June 06, 2006 05:01PM

i changed my port
i out 81 but doesnt matter im so sad what can i make?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.