Access WAMP websites from local area network
Posted by: dr_coder (94.177.148.---)
Date: May 12, 2021 09:54AM

I have been using WampServer for years: there are 20 plus projects in my "www" directory. A good half of these are local versions of online websites which need regular maintenance and update.

To test the websites on a range of devices, I have been accessing the WampServer 'websites' via the (fixed) IP address of the computer on which WampServer is running. Yesterday I upgraded to the latest version of WampServer (in order to use the newer version of PHP: I have been a PHP programmer since PHP first appeared.)

I have a range of devices on which I need to access the WampServer 'sites', including:
an iPad,
an Amazon Fire tablet,
an Android phone.
I need to test on the actual devices because browser simulations are OFTEN inaccurate.

How do I access these WampServer 'sites' from my LAN devices now that each site is now a virtual host? I have tried everything I can think of, but so far nothing has worked.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Access WAMP websites from local area network
Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: May 12, 2021 11:12AM

Hi,

Have a look at this post on StackOverflow to see how I made this work

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: May 12, 2021 02:28PM

Thank you. I will begin to follow your lead, and let you know how it works out.

Date: May 13, 2021 05:02PM

Ii took time, but I kept scrupulously to your instructions, and I have now managed to access two of my still-being-maintained websites from other devices on my local network.(About 10 to go!)

There was a hitch with one of the sites. I only have 3 WordPress sites, and they are all 2021 sites, but I picked one of them for the test. Originally, I could only access the home page, and that without CSS or JavaScript. But I changed the NAME of the site, inside the WordPress settings in admin, to the IP address and the port, and it worked both on the computer with WampServer installed and on my LAN devices.

I only mention this in case someone else has a similar problem. And I should add the StackOverflow page with your advice for the same reason: [stackoverflow.com]

Thank you for your help!

Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: May 15, 2021 01:22PM

Glad it helped you.

The WordPress, moving a site issue, should be fairly well known to WP developers and is documented is numerous other places better than I could do it.

Regards

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.