Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
WAN doesn't work but LAN does
Posted by: Trozza (---.bri.dsl.connect.net.au)
Date: May 22, 2006 12:05PM

Hi, i'm having trouble setting up wampserver. It works fine on the local pc, with both localhost:150 and 192.168.1.17:150[local pc] and it works fine over another computer i have on the network. [btw i had to change from port 80 because my isp has blocked port 80] But it won't work from another computer of my local network

I'v port forwarded my dsl modem to the pc running the server. And i'v tried running Gibsons[www.grc.com] Shields up to test the port... It shows stealthed with no server running, and when i run wamp is shows the port as opened. I have also disabled my personal firewall while testing.

I have entered my IP address:port# [not local address] when trying to get it to work with no results. All that happens is i get a normal "page can not be displayed" from firefox browser.

The open port [150] on Shields up test displays it as SQL-net. I'm running Windows XP Professional with service pack 2 installed and all the latest updates. IIS isn't installed [already checked], i'v tried wamp 1.6.1 and 1.6.3 and my network is setup like this...

[dsl modem] -> [router] -> [three computers] one of the three computers is the attempted server each have their own unique local ip.

Any help?

Thanks Troy

Post Edited (05-22-06 12:08)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WAN doesn't work but LAN does
Posted by: yfastud (72.236.169.---)
Date: May 22, 2006 04:44PM

When local wired computer(s) work, local wireless computer(s) should work too. Did you enable wireless from your router yet? If not, do it annd post back here.

Date: May 23, 2006 04:25AM

Sorry, didn't mean wireless, ment like outside of my local network... such as on a mates computer it doesn't work.. when using the actual ip address my isp assigned to me.

Date: May 23, 2006 07:16PM

He he ;-)
That's different storry, buddy. You need a domain and DNS for it to work. Check these topics:
[forum.wampserver.com]
[forum.wampserver.com]
Hope this help,

Date: May 24, 2006 04:14AM

so am i able to access my site just by going [69.39.109.23] [my ip address and then port number] or do i need to have a domain and dns for it to work?

also i'v noticed when doing netstat -ano that when i have a local connection to my wampserver it says

local address: 192.168.1.17:150 | foreign address:192.168.1.17:2213
local address: 192.168.1.17:2213 | foreign address: 192.168.1.17:150

could it be that my router or something is blocking port 2213, or 2213 is irrelivant?

thanks
Troz

Post Edited (05-24-06 04:25)

Date: May 24, 2006 01:47PM

Yep, you DO need a domain and DNS to access your server from outside your network. From outside your network, can't just type your ip and hope it works.
Actually, you only need DNS to access to your server from outside by typing your ip. In that case, you need static ip, but if you only have dynamic ip, that's when a domain comes in handy, DNS will route trafic to your server by your domain when ip changes from time to time. I think right now Yahoo Business have a promotion with a domain for $3/yr up to 5yrs, and for DNS, I personally like free account at zoneedit.
About the port, it's just the way it is to run data back and forth, if you want more detail, google it.
Hope this help,

Date: May 26, 2006 04:56AM

Ok, getting closer

I currently already have a domain name, www.trozza.com but i was using just url frame to go to a website that i had for free similar to geocities.

anyway, after reading around that zonedit site i saw that u'd have to use a A(address) [the ip address of a web server.] guessing that is that dns thing u are talking about?

so i put the ip address in of my computer in... **.69.190.** and tried to put in the port number as well but it wouldn't let me, just the ip address.

I then tested www.trozza.com it brought up my dsl modem login screen. so i then tried www.trozza.com:150 and it said

"Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at trozza.com:150."

----------------------------

is there another little thing i got to do to get it working?

Thanks for the help so far
Troz

Post Edited (05-26-06 12:38)

Date: May 26, 2006 04:59PM

You need to setup Virtual Host, check these post:
[forum.wampserver.com]
[forum.wampserver.com]
Hope this help,
Ps, Remember, I only provide basic configure code, you might need more to meet your desire.

Post Edited (05-26-06 18:29)

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: May 27, 2006 04:05AM

hmm, gave it a go with no luck.. i tried just coping yours exactly and just changing the details a little...
-----------------

NameVirtualHost *:150
<VirtualHost *>
ServerName www.trozza.com
ServerAlias trozza.com
DocumentRoot G:/websiteroot/
</VirtualHost>

----------------

then tried the bit longer version
-----------------

NameVirtualHost *:150

<VirtualHost *:150>
ServerAdmin admin@trozza.com
DocumentRoot G:/websiteroot
ServerName www.trozza.com
ErrorLog logs/dummy-host.example.com-error_log
CustomLog logs/dummy-host.example.com-access_log common
</VirtualHost>

---------------------

and it didn't work sad smiley apache would start and 192.168.1.17:150 would work, but just not www.trozza.com:150

i also tried on teh virtualhost and namevirtual host just having * instead of *:150 didn't work either

Post Edited (05-27-06 04:44)

Posted by: CyberSpatium (67.170.181.---)
Date: May 27, 2006 04:56AM

make sure you restart apache after you edit the httpd.conf file, or your new settings will not take effect.

Date: May 27, 2006 11:52AM

and thanks but tried restarting apache and still didn't work sad smiley

starting to think it may not be apache, cus' i installed abyss web server and it didn't work either...

any idea's of what could be stoping a webserver from running on port 150 outside of the local network taking into account...

grc sheilds up is showing port 150 as open and registering that it is SQL-net when the webserver is running, while the webserver isn't running it shows the port as stealthed

mcafee firewall has port opened, and i'v tried with the firewall turned off

i'v port forwarded the port through my dsl modem/router

um. and i'v tried the virtual hosts configeration

and when going to www.trozza.com from my local pc, i get access to my dsl modem which has a built in webserver on port 80 [but won't work outside local network cus' my isp has blocked port 80].

just won't work when i go www.trozza.com:150 and the web server works when i go localhost:150 or 192.168.1.17:150 on a computer on my local network

and www.dnsreport.com is showing www.trozza.com dns forwarding working fine, it pushes it to teh correct ip and that. [www.dnsreport.com]

thanks again
Troz

Post Edited (05-27-06 12:10)

Date: May 27, 2006 09:04PM

are you using windows xp pro, windows 2000, or windows 2003?. they all come with a webserer called IIS. if IIS is running apache will not start because IIS is using port 80. do you have skype running? for some stupid reason, the authors of skype decited to use port 80. so if skype is running, apache will not start.

Date: May 28, 2006 03:15AM

running xp pro, but made sure that IIS is uninstalled. and don't have skype..

and just making sure... if IIS not ticked in the add or remove windows components in control panel it wouldn't be installed would it?

Troz

Date: May 28, 2006 05:08AM

if IIS not ticked ??? what???

Date: May 28, 2006 07:37AM

um, you know how in add or remove windows components if something is installed it has a little tick in a box next to the item. well IIS isn't ticked

Date: May 28, 2006 07:44AM

I am out of ideas

Date: May 28, 2006 09:21AM

mm, same, i can't think of anything it could be, tried everything i could find on google and the ideas said here.

Troz

Date: May 28, 2006 11:54AM

try posting your question at a more popular forum like these:

[forums.devshed.com]
[www.devnetwork.net]

hope that helps

Date: May 28, 2006 12:23PM

thanks i'll give them a go...

oo btw if this helps at all.. i'v got a RTA100+ modem and the nat rule entry is

NAT Rule Information
Rule ID: 2
Rule Flavor: RDR
IF Name: ALL
Protocol: ANY
Local Address From: 192.168.1.17
Local Address To: 192.168.1.17
Global Address From: 0.0.0.0
Global Address To: 0.0.0.0
Destination Port From: 150
Destination Port To: 150
Local Port: 150

Posted by: yfastud (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 28, 2006 03:53PM

I just remember 1 important thing! Do you use DNS with the same carrier that you bought your domain or different one? If different, did you change the nameserver yet? Even if you did changed nameserver, you need at least 24hr up to 72 to see the effect. If not yet, remember to change both nameserver1 and nameserver2. In addition, you need to declare A record in DNS, can't just set it in VH and type it in your browser and hope it works; then, wait 3 days to post back here. Have fun.
I also notice that your DocumentRoot is outside the desire www directory, try it in there first to make sure it works before try something different from default.

Post Edited (05-28-06 18:56)

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.