Setting up the rights of ordinary users for WAMP Server64
Posted by: Leralan (---.balticom.lv)
Date: December 20, 2019 05:33PM

Installed WAMP Server64 (WINDOWS10) with admin rights. It's working. But even wampmanager.exe doesn't start for regular users with limited access rights. When you start, it requires an administrator password. What rights to access WINDOWS and which files do you need to give an ordinary user to work with WAMP Server?

Options: ReplyQuote
Setting up the rights of ordinary users for WampServer
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: December 20, 2019 06:44PM

Setting up the rights of ordinary users for WampServer

This is a translation of a contribution that I had posted on the French forum Wampserver.

I have test launching of WampServer - thus starting services - in a "standard" user session that is to say without administrator privileges, and it works on my session W7 or W10 Pro 64-bit with two users:
- "Dominique" administrator
- "Otomatic" standard user

Everything that follows is to be performed in an administrator session:
This means that if you want to do this on a workstation that is part of an enterprise network, you will need to call your network administrator or IT manager.

Download the utility "Setacl.exe" the free version from the command line on the website [helgeklein.com]
This version:
Administrators: Download the EXE version of SetACL 3.1.2 for 32-bit and 64-bit Windows.

Unzip the file, which will create a folder: SetACL (executable Version)\ in which there are two other folder for 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
Open a command window into the 32 or 64 bits folder depending on the version of Windows. If you have a Windows 64-bit, it is imperative to run the 64-bit version of setacl.
In the command window, we will give the rights to a user to start, stop and read wampapache, wampmysqld and wampmariadb services, in my case the user without rights "Otomatic."
Generic command is:
setacl -on "service_name" -ot srv -ace "n:user_name_without_rights;p:start_stop,read" -actn ace
which gives the following two commands for WampServer:
setacl -on "wampapache" -ot srv -ace "n:Otomatic;p:start_stop,read" -actn ace
setacl -on "wampmysqld" -ot srv -ace "n:Otomatic;p:start_stop,read" -actn ace
setacl -on "wampmariadb" -ot srv -ace "n:Otomatic;p:start_stop,read" -actn ace
Of course:
- you replace Otomatic by the name of the user you want to allow to start the services.
- you replace service names by wampapache64, wampmysqld64 and wampmariadb64 if uou use Wampserver 64 bit.
The user account must exist before performing the commands.

By connecting with Otomatic session, I can start WampServer, which starts the services and pass the icon green with access to localhost and phpMyAdmin.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2023 12:33PM by Otomatic.

Re: Setting up the rights of ordinary users for WAMP Server64
Posted by: Leralan (---.balticom.lv)
Date: December 20, 2019 08:46PM

Thank you so much for the response. We're going to try.

Re: Setting up the rights of ordinary users for WAMP Server64
Posted by: thasmudyan (---.reverse.superonline.net)
Date: October 14, 2020 09:18PM

I have a local user(Student) only subscribed to Users group and i want to make this user run the wamp without asking the administrator password. Am i at right place?
I have downloaded setacl 64 bit version and my wamp is 64 bit also. Unfortunately it still asks the password after double clicking the wampserver64 shortcut.

I have read task scheduling solution but i need it on the task bar.

setacl -on "wampapache64" -ot srv -ace "n: Student;p:start_stop,read" -actn ace

setacl -on "wampmysqld64" -ot srv -ace "n: Student;p:start_stop,read" -actn ace

setacl -on "wampmariadb64" -ot srv -ace "n: Student;p:start_stop,read" -actn ace

Any help will be appreciated.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.